Insurance for Federal Retirees

sheila1947

You need to check your policy to know if there is evacuation coverage and how much that is, what is the maximum $ coverage for illness or injury while traveling outside of the U.S. and etc...

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

You need to be very specific in your questions

I also have BC/BS with an international rider. My wife recently fell while in Cancun. ER visit, supplies, x-rays, plastic surgeon for stitches, etc,,, came to $3600. I had to pay this out of pocket before my wife was discharged. Upon return, I first had to get the denial letter from Medicare, then since the hospital was " Out of Network", I was reimbursed about $2400

Specific questions that I asked

1. Can I just show my BC/BS card and the hospital directly bill BC/BS? No

2. Will it be in network or out of network? Out of network

3. Will BC/BS provide a letter of ability to pay if I don't have access to funds to pay? No

4. Will BC/BS provide evacuation? Yes, just as if you need an ambulance.

5. After receiving care and stabilized, will BC/BS then evac to home hospital for continuation of care? No

5. If I die on the trip, will BC/BS pay for repatriation of my remains back home? No

After asking these questions and my experience in Cancun, I will continue to purchase (if nothing else) a travel insurance policy for medical and evacuation.

• Like 1

A comprehensive travel policy will also provide cancellation and other benefits related to travel, if that is important to you. For an short inexpensive get away, it may not matter. For a longer, more costly international destination you may not want to put a five figure vacation at risk, even if the dollars are already budgeted.

• Like 1