Royal Precruise Covid Test Question

Our family from Mass will be on Oasis in February but will be in Florida for three days before the cruise. What are our Covid testing options? Is there a cvs or Walgreens in Fort Lauderdale that we, as out of state residents, can get an appointment at.  Any other options? Thanks.

You can look online for both CVS and Walgreens locations to see which ones are offering testing (and what types - all don't have rapid, just some).  Of course this is for right now not February, but it will give you an idea.  Right now CVS is booking about 2 weeks in advance and Walgreens is booking 2-4 days in advance.

If you find a CVS or Walgreens nearby, I recommend you check appointment times. On Walgreens you have to register for a test to see the available times for the specific test you need. CVS lets you check appointment availability before registering.  The CVS near us that offers the rapid antigen test does not allow booking appointments 2 weeks ahead of time. We can only make a same day appointment. Our nearby Walgreens allows you to book appointments 5 days ahead.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mass2Cruise said:

And these are cvs and Walgreens in Fort Lauderdale or just in general?

I think it depends on test kit availability.  I've read comments on CC from posters who have had CVS appointments canceled and I think that in certain areas, there's a lack of test kits and that's why my CVS only books same day appointments for the rapid antigen. It's just a word of caution that you may want to check when appointments open for a specific CVS or Walgreens ahead of time. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend using the proctored home tests...    order them before the cruise and bring them with you.     If you aren't familiar with them, there are a lot of threads on the subject.     The 6 pack through emed is currently on back order, but they have indicated they will have more available in November.     https://www.emed.com/

• Like 1

Emed out of stock, Optum expire Dec 6 currently. We need them for Dec 13 cruise.  So hoping for drugstore availability, with expensive airport next option. LAX says they have it onsite, and our departing airport lists availability but no price. 

21 hours ago, cruisemom2 said:

You can look online for both CVS and Walgreens locations to see which ones are offering testing (and what types - all don't have rapid, just some).  Of course this is for right now not February, but it will give you an idea.  Right now CVS is booking about 2 weeks in advance and Walgreens is booking 2-4 days in advance.

CVS in SW FL is only taking same day appointments for Antigen tests, had to wake up at 1am to log in and get appointment for that day !

21 hours ago, CruisinNole said:

If you find a CVS or Walgreens nearby, I recommend you check appointment times. On Walgreens you have to register for a test to see the available times for the specific test you need. CVS lets you check appointment availability before registering.  The CVS near us that offers the rapid antigen test does not allow booking appointments 2 weeks ahead of time. We can only make a same day appointment. Our nearby Walgreens allows you to book appointments 5 days ahead.

Same here and we are in Tampa Bay. We have to take the test no more than 2 days before for sailing next week and select CVS do the testing, but only by same day appts. A little nerve wracking, but it is what it is.

Thanks all. We are definitely going to wait and see what the protocols are come mid January.  If they stay how they are now, the other fam we are going with, who is going to FL a few days later than we are, and our fam is going to get tested up here near Boston beforehand.  Well bring a home test with us that way we can get redone within the 48 hours.  They can get retested before they fly and still be within the 48 hours. Now our new dilemma is whether we get the kids the shot if they require it for over 5 year olds.

On 10/28/2021 at 7:49 AM, Mass2Cruise said:

Our family from Mass will be on Oasis in February but will be in Florida for three days before the cruise. What are our Covid testing options? Is there a cvs or Walgreens in Fort Lauderdale that we, as out of state residents, can get an appointment at.  Any other options? Thanks.

Skip the hassle of getting a test done at a local CVS/Walgreens.  

Just buy the test kits and do the test in your hotel room. 

Carry the test kits in your carryon luggage. 

On 10/29/2021 at 7:02 AM, triplemom3 said:

Same here and we are in Tampa Bay. We have to take the test no more than 2 days before for sailing next week and select CVS do the testing, but only by same day appts. A little nerve wracking, but it is what it is.

The nearest CVS to us that does rapid antigen testing is also same day appointments only.  This past Monday morning, I booked the first two appointments for yesterday at a close by Walgreens for the ID Now test. We were in the drive thru at 9:30, home by 9:50 and had results by 10:10.  

Edited by CruisinNole