Bora Bora, Moorea Questions

jilly08

Hi, 

I'm sailing on WS Star Breeze  in December of this year.  If anyone has been to FP since October, were those trucks that take you to Bloody Mary's or Matira beach operating?  Or were taxis available at the tender pier?

And does anyone know in which bay WS will anchor in Moorea?

I am looking to took an independent Jet Ski tour in Moorea. Can any recommend a good tour operator?

thank you, 

Jill

@Jilly08

Have you tried calling WS direct to see where the ship will anchor? You probably have and "shucks, we aren't sure" is the answer you've received! Did you post it on the WS board for returnees to answer? Wind Spirit anchors in Cook's Bay but that's no help to you.

We did Moorea Activities Center for jet ski and they were wonderful. https://www.mooreaactivitiescenter.com/  

Picked us up at the ship, transport, a practice run and we were off. Plus a complimentary mai tai when we returned. Really nice people!

• Like 1

I was just about to ask the same question about which bay in Moorea as I'm trying to book a tour with Voila Moorea and they need to know. They also want to know what time the first shuttle will be. I have the arrival and departure times and I'm guessing it will be about half an hour after arrival. Would that be right, Petoonya? You seem to be the expert on all things Polynesian!!

The vendors who are worth their weight in gold know what bay, date and time any ship will visit. There are several web sites that provide this info to local vendors.

Usually there are always taxis at the tender location. Several members on my page stated the shuttles and taxis were running this month for the PG, I assume it is the same for WS. Actually the WindStar and the PG were both visiting Bora Bora the same day this week. WS anchored just south of the PG. 

@Mocamps

Half hour is a good guess for tenders. I'd not worry too much about letting them know the bay- they'll figure it out. They want to be sure they get their hard earned fare. I hope that things are working out smoothly for you! It has to be a marathon getting things organized in not much more than a month- excited for you. I know one other USA person who is also on the cruise.....it's just too damn exciting.

6 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@Mocamps

Half hour is a good guess for tenders. I'd not worry too much about letting them know the bay- they'll figure it out. They want to be sure they get their hard earned fare. I hope that things are working out smoothly for you! It has to be a marathon getting things organized in not much more than a month- excited for you. I know one other USA person who is also on the cruise.....it's just too damn exciting.

You're right! It requires a LOT of organisation - but loving it!! I'm just holding my breath and hoping that it all doesn't have to be cancelled again - as with April last year. It's so disappointing and means that I have to contact everyone to cancel as we do everything independently. We've already had to change our flight out from UK by one day and haven't got time to drive up the coast road so are now flying from UK to LAX, nightstop at airport hotel, onward flight to San Jose, California where we now pick up our car hire and get tested. We then have 2 nights which we're probably going to spend in the Santa Cruz area then drive up to the Golden Gate bridge before moving on to our SFO hotel, ditch the rental car and then on to Papeete.

We miss out the coastal drive but we have done it several times before and we haven't really explored that area north of Monterey so that will be different. And the rental care is MUCH cheaper from San Jose than from LAX!!

I've also sorted out the logistics of getting home though we're dreading the night flight from Papeete with United unless we can upgrade our seats nearer the time. At present the price is just prohibitive!

So my big thing at present is booking tours and planning what to do on the various islands. I've fired off loads of e-mails but not getting much back!! And I'm trying to introduce a bit of variety. We love snorkelling but a lot of the tours sound very similar.  I know you don't like pearl and vanilla farms (and we're definitely not shoppers!!) but is it something we need to do once?

You have quite a wonderful itinerary- we love Santa Cruz! Also a beautiful drive back up to SF if you go through the coastal mountains- good wineries. Will be a nice break between your long flights. 🙂

I don't know how to advise about the pearl and vanilla farms. Some people say you have to do it once, but we found it immensely boring as I've said. It's probably only a 45min stop at each place so really not so bad if you don't like.

Can't remember if I mentioned Bruno of L' 'Excursion Bleue- he does the whole enchilada from Raiatea and it's excellent. Even a couple passes at  the Coral Gardens. But still do the ship's Coral Gardens tour- much, much better. Bruno's is just icing on the cake. https://www.tahaa.net/en/home/

Hope that you were able to get the ship's tour at Motu Mahaea. I'm very surprised that it's difficult to reach vendors. I've been booking stuff for next summer and I hear back within hours.

Let us all live vicariously with your trip prep. So exciting.

*****We were on the 18 day for April 2021. Is that what you had booked too? Also May 2020, and then an Oceania for Aoril 2020.

Edited by Petoonya

3 hours ago, Mocamps said:

You're right! It requires a LOT of organisation - but loving it!! I'm just holding my breath and hoping that it all doesn't have to be cancelled again - as with April last year. It's so disappointing and means that I have to contact everyone to cancel as we do everything independently. We've already had to change our flight out from UK by one day and haven't got time to drive up the coast road so are now flying from UK to LAX, nightstop at airport hotel, onward flight to San Jose, California where we now pick up our car hire and get tested. We then have 2 nights which we're probably going to spend in the Santa Cruz area then drive up to the Golden Gate bridge before moving on to our SFO hotel, ditch the rental car and then on to Papeete.

We miss out the coastal drive but we have done it several times before and we haven't really explored that area north of Monterey so that will be different. And the rental care is MUCH cheaper from San Jose than from LAX!!

I've also sorted out the logistics of getting home though we're dreading the night flight from Papeete with United unless we can upgrade our seats nearer the time. At present the price is just prohibitive!

So my big thing at present is booking tours and planning what to do on the various islands. I've fired off loads of e-mails but not getting much back!! And I'm trying to introduce a bit of variety. We love snorkelling but a lot of the tours sound very similar.  I know you don't like pearl and vanilla farms (and we're definitely not shoppers!!) but is it something we need to do once?

We live on the beautiful Central coast and though I've done it a Zillion times I still enjoy the drive between San Luis Obispo and Monterey  ... never gets old and I often find new little gems I haven't seen before. I'll be flying out of SFO several times over the next year to PPT. I've always gone via LAX so this is new. Like you we decided on staying the night before at a hotel close to SFO  ... don't need the stress.  Have a great trip.