Can the QM2 Make her Transatlanitc Schedule on 3 pods?

avalon1025

Sure she can! To do the 5 night schedule the Cunard Queens needed to run 28.5 knots. For the current 6 night schedule she has more than enough time. Now it might necessitate her running the shortest route possible even if rough seas are looming. Also maybe she will head up and down the Solent passing the Needles rather than by Nab Light to save time.

On my recent trip 'round the Horn there were times that she was doing slightly better than 26 knots. Of course weather, sea conditions and prevailing currents can effect speed, but at 26 knots she can maintain her 6 night transatlantic schedule.

I got an "emergency notification" from Cunard that the ship will leave a half hour earlier from New York and get into southampton an hour later, so my guess is that the pod problem adds about an hour and a half on a five and a half day transatlantic crossing

My crossing eastbound is June 9th to June 15th

I havent received a notification, yet, about any changes in my June 27th to July 3 westbound crossing.

The individual port times have changed for my mediterranean cruise but it is hard to tell if that is due to pod problems or being extra cautious with the tides. June 15th to June 27th.

I have myself in for an "upgrade" if available. I hope I am not "upgraded" to the empty pod. ;)

I am on the June 9th crossing too. I am flying out of Gatwick to Amsterdam (1:30 pm) and am wondering if I should allow more time. I am a little concerned about crossing the atlantic at less than capacity, but I guess it's better than having the whole thing canceled on me. I guess we will have to wait and see how QM2 does on her first few crossings this year.

I got an "emergency notification" from Cunard that the ship will leave a half hour earlier from New York and get into southampton an hour later, so my guess is that the pod problem adds about an hour and a half on a five and a half day transatlantic crossing

My crossing eastbound is June 9th to June 15th

I havent received a notification, yet, about any changes in my June 27th to July 3 westbound crossing.

The individual port times have changed for my mediterranean cruise but it is hard to tell if that is due to pod problems or being extra cautious with the tides. June 15th to June 27th.

I have myself in for an "upgrade" if available. I hope I am not "upgraded" to the empty pod. ;)

Also on the June 27th crossing and have yet to hear anything.

I think it likley that with the pod removed and without the drag of three locked props, her speed will increase slighly, maybe a quarter to half a knot ot so. Still it means running the remaining pod at 100% power with NO reserves of speed if anything causes her schedule to slip.

Archived