EXPO Dubai 2020 cruises (MSC Opera and MSC Virtuosa)

perakcruiser

Let´s collect some information about the EXPO cruises from MSC. The EXPO, which was delayed because of the pandemic, finally started at 1 October 2021 and will last until 31 March 2022. MSC changed their boats also, the Lirica is not there now, but the Opera and the Virtuosa (both starting 28 Nov). Also the free EXPO tickets from MSC are gone, at least they don´t advertise them anymore. Anyway, the tickets are really cheap compared to normal EXPO prices. Note that you get a free ticket if you fly Emirates or Etihad. 

There are free shuttle busses from many places in Dubai and also Abu Dhabi to the EXPO. I meanwhile found out where the relevant shuttle close to the Dubai cruise terminal starts: 

• Al Ghubaiba –next to Al Raffa Police station or Al Satwa Star Building (bus route 292 – it is available from Sustainability Expo Rider Gate to Al Ghubaiba Bus Station and vice versa)

No idea about the layout of the cruise terminal, could be a short walk (less than 1km) or a long one (3 km). The busses should run every 15 minutes. 

Certainly MSC also offers trips to the EXPO from Dubai port. These are priced 29 € (under 18, over 60) and 59€ (others). Yes, you are guessing right, entrance is free for juniors and seniors.

From Abu Dhabi the shuttle busses run from these three places:

• Abu Dhabi International Airport StationService  frequency is every 20 minutes.
  • Marina Mall Station. Service frequency is every 20 minutes.
  • Abu Dhabi Main Bus Station. Service frequency is every 20 minutes.

None of these is really close to port. Maybe other cruisers have information about the options to leave the port area in Abu Dhabi. 

Edited by perakcruiser
  • Thanks 1

The cruise port in Dubai is not really within walking distance of anything. If you can get yourself to any Dubai Metro station, you can take the Metro to the EXPO. But my literature indicates that you can't leave the ship without taking an MSC tour. I'm not sure if that is still the case but if it is, you can't go to the EXPO on your own.

Strange, I was in Dubai (one day stopover) in September and was able to leave the airport and check in a hotel (and bring the kids to Dubai Aquarium). Fully vaccinated and with the PCR test that I needed to do before the flight for my final destination  Kuala Lumpur. Well, we have to see what the first cruisers will tell us beginning of December.

The shuttle bus stop is very close to Al Ghubaiba Metro Station. But it goes straight to the EXPO and the metro has many stops and you have to change the line. Difficult to say what will be faster. 

12 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Let´s collect some information about the EXPO cruises from MSC. The EXPO, which was delayed because of the pandemic, finally started at 1 October 2021 and will last until 31 March 2022. MSC changed their boats also, the Lirica is not there now, but the Opera and the Virtuosa (both starting 28 Nov). Also the free EXPO tickets from MSC are gone, at least they don´t advertise them anymore. Anyway, the tickets are really cheap compared to normal EXPO prices. Note that you get a free ticket if you fly Emirates or Etihad. 

There are free shuttle busses from many places in Dubai and also Abu Dhabi to the EXPO. I meanwhile found out where the relevant shuttle close to the Dubai cruise terminal starts: 

• Al Ghubaiba –next to Al Raffa Police station or Al Satwa Star Building (bus route 292 – it is available from Sustainability Expo Rider Gate to Al Ghubaiba Bus Station and vice versa)

No idea about the layout of the cruise terminal, could be a short walk (less than 1km) or a long one (3 km). The busses should run every 15 minutes. 

Certainly MSC also offers trips to the EXPO from Dubai port. These are priced 29 € (under 18, over 60) and 59€ (others). Yes, you are guessing right, entrance is free for juniors and seniors.

From Abu Dhabi the shuttle busses run from these three places:

• Abu Dhabi International Airport StationService  frequency is every 20 minutes.
  • Marina Mall Station. Service frequency is every 20 minutes.
  • Abu Dhabi Main Bus Station. Service frequency is every 20 minutes.

None of these is really close to port. Maybe other cruisers have information about the options to leave the port area in Abu Dhabi. 

Hi. Opera was canceled. No longer going to Dubai. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2021 at 12:26 AM, perakcruiser said:

I did make the walk 6 years ago and don't remember it being particularly taxing, but, I suppose that might depend on which terminal?

I'm a bit appalled at the prices you listed for the MSC transfer as surely a taxi would be less than that especially if sharing.

I'm hoping the bubble excursions are eliminated before I would commit to booking a March itinerary. Will happily soak up all the information posted here as roll calls are quiet.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Greetings to all travelers.  We are booked for the 5 Feb Virtuoso cruise from Dubai.  We’ve been to Dubai several times.  Transport from the cruise port we were at was no problem.  I recall using Careem; which, I think is a subsidiary of Uber?  No issues in getting around.  Reasonable prices.   Would recommend it to all.  Taxis are also readily available.  For the most cost effective way to Expo, take private transport to the Metro which will take you to Expo.  

2 hours ago, Steeler Nation At Sea said:

I'm hoping the bubble excursions are eliminated before I would commit to booking a March itinerary.

When I printed my boarding docs last month the excursion information within them indicated that if you wanted to get off the ship, you had to be taking an MSC excursion otherwise they weren't letting you back on the ship. When I did my 20-day check-in today that same page of the documents says that they highly recommend you taking MSC excursions but it no longer says they are required.

Of course all this can change.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, workink said:

Do we need to have cruise insurance for this trip?  I'm sailing on the 18th of December and still have not purchased anything.  If you have recommendations, please post them.

Yes it is needed. We were too lazy to search for alternatives and just took the one MSC sold. 

16 hours ago, KINGBOBOFTHENORTH said:

When I printed my boarding docs last month the excursion information within them indicated that if you wanted to get off the ship, you had to be taking an MSC excursion otherwise they weren't letting you back on the ship. When I did my 20-day check-in today that same page of the documents says that they highly recommend you taking MSC excursions but it no longer says they are required.

Of course all this can change.

That's what I want to hear.  I do hope you'll post your actual experience once on the ship and if you do get to EXPO, some practical info and your impressions. Having last been to a world's fair in Knoxville in 1982 with only 16 nations participating, I would really like to make it to this one.  Safe travels and happy cruising!

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea
  • Like 1