US Customs/Duty/Taxes

thesnoopster2

Anyone have any insight or copies of forms that state or show what the duty is for cigarettes, cigars, alcohol, perfumes, ect from Bahamas and Mexico into the port of Miami?  I know the limits for cigarettes is a carton plus 100 cigars, but what is the duty/taxes/fees once those have been exceeded?  I'm planning to save some money for myself and get some Christmas gifts while on my cruise.  Cigs here in Oregon are $100 a carton.

We returned to Miami from Mexico on Oct.16 and were surprised that there appeared to be no Customs check, altho it took us 45 minutes to get through the terminal.  I bought one carton of cigs aboard ($43.) 

Customs duty to the US is only one part of the issue.  Interstate transport of cigarettes to Oregon from Florida is another factor. I believe most states with high cigarette taxes also have a limit on how many can be brought into their state.

Dennis

Edited by kelleherdl

2 hours ago, kelleherdl said:

Customs duty to the US is only one part of the issue.  Interstate transport of cigarettes to Oregon from Florida is another factor. I believe most states with high cigarette taxes also have a limit on how many can be brought into their state.

Dennis

I'm not too worried about bringing them into Oregon since they are for private consumption not for sale I don't think anyone's going to care.  I was thinking about that though so is a good point to bring up. The only issue is who would slap my hand on something like that?

5 hours ago, zounds said:

We returned to Miami from Mexico on Oct.16 and were surprised that there appeared to be no Customs check, altho it took us 45 minutes to get through the terminal.  I bought one carton of cigs aboard ($43.) 

I wonder if it's different if I have something to declare? Like with your one box you don't have to really declare that so you're able to fly through, but if I come back through with 10 cartons I wonder if that would be different.  We have four different family members that smoke four different types of cigarettes and cartons are right about $90 to $100 a piece so I'd like to save as much money as possible

I have read posts here on cruise critic where disembarking passengers have been pulled aside due to shipboard purchases totalling more than the duty free allowance because the ship provides that information to CBP before disembarkation begins.  I have no experience with that because we spend all our money on food and drink!

18 hours ago, capriccio said:

I saw these as well.  Just didn't see where it said how much it was past the allowance.  The other thing I was curious about is you can come back and not have to pay the duty on the first $800 you bring back, but you get one carton dirty free.  Just wondering if the two are the same or separate.  Like the first carton doesn't count towards the $800, but the rest do and then you pay duty once you hit that $800, or you pay for the second carton on?  Same with the alcohol.  

15 hours ago, thesnoopster2 said:

I saw these as well.  Just didn't see where it said how much it was past the allowance.  The other thing I was curious about is you can come back and not have to pay the duty on the first $800 you bring back, but you get one carton dirty free.  Just wondering if the two are the same or separate.  Like the first carton doesn't count towards the $800, but the rest do and then you pay duty once you hit that $800, or you pay for the second carton on?  Same with the alcohol.  

I think you are out of luck on that.  Per the CBP documents, the restrictions on tobacco and alchol do not allow the excess to be included as part of the $800 allowance:

"Exemptions

Depending on the countries you have visited, your personal exemption will be $200, $800, or $1,600. There are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars, and other tobacco products you may include in your duty-free personal exemption. The differences are explained in the following section."