Cahermore County Cork

htkodiak

We are looking to travel to Cahermore to visit our ancestral  home.We will be in Cobh for about 8 hrs.What are our  options for getting there and is there enough time to get there ? I'm not really interested in renting a car except as a last resort.Thanks for any help .

As there is no town or village in Cork named Cahermore, I am presuming that you mean the 'townland' to the North of Rosscarbery https://www.townlands.ie/cork/east-carbery-west-division/ross/cahermore/cahermore/

If you want to go by public transport you will be highly stressed over timings.

It will be a 90 minute bus trip from Cork to Rosscarbery.  Buses leave at 9.30 and 11.30.  You will need to get from Cobh to Cork (train from outside the cruise terminal) and then walk to Bus Station (15 minutes).

Your return bus leaves Rosscarbery at 3.05pm (the previous bus is 1.20pm) 90 minutes to Cork, walk to train station, and train to Cobh.  Bus fare Cork to Rosscarbery  is €16 return.

All aboard time?

You could drive from Cobh to Rosscarbery in 90 minutes total!  (It is only just over 50 miles).

https://westcorkconnect.ie/timetable/#skibbereen

2 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

As there is no town or village in Cork named Cahermore, I am presuming that you mean the 'townland' to the North of Rosscarbery https://www.townlands.ie/cork/east-carbery-west-division/ross/cahermore/cahermore/

If you want to go by public transport you will be highly stressed over timings.

It will be a 90 minute bus trip from Cork to Rosscarbery.  Buses leave at 9.30 and 11.30.  You will need to get from Cobh to Cork (train from outside the cruise terminal) and then walk to Bus Station (15 minutes).

Your return bus leaves Rosscarbery at 3.05pm (the previous bus is 1.20pm) 90 minutes to Cork, walk to train station, and train to Cobh.  Bus fare Cork to Rosscarbery  is €16 return.

All aboard time?

You could drive from Cobh to Rosscarbery in 90 minutes total!  (It is only just over 50 miles).

https://westcorkconnect.ie/timetable/#skibbereen

When I first read this post, I was curious where Cahermore was, so I searched for it in Google Maps. It identified it as a small cluster of buildings on route R572 out near the tip of the Beara peninsula.   It appears to be the home of St. Michaels Catholic Church Cahermore.  Can we not trust Google?  Seriously, I fully trust the advice of a local.  I just found it interesting that Google has this.  

6E25B889-291F-441C-AB91-854DB80D226E.jpeg

Edited by MeHeartCruising

1 hour ago, MeHeartCruising said:

When I first read this post, I was curious where Cahermore was, so I searched for it in Google Maps. It identified it as a small cluster of buildings on route R572 out near the tip of the Beara peninsula.   It appears to be the home of St. Michaels Catholic Church Cahermore.  Can we not trust Google?  Seriously, I fully trust the advice of a local.  I just found it interesting that Google has this.  

Well, there is a surprise.  I have never heard of it before, but it does seem to exist alright.  My SIL is from Allihies so I will ask her, when we meet next.

I have learned something today! Thank you!

@htkodiak if the Cahermore you want to visit is the one down the Beara Peninsula, then the only way would be with car and driver waiting to meet you at the ship.  You would not even have time to do the paperwork to rent a car as the trip to Beara will be at least 3 hours each direction.  The road network is narrow and twisty. No freeway! 

• Like 2

On 11/3/2021 at 6:45 PM, VMax1700 said:

Well, there is a surprise.  I have never heard of it before, but it does seem to exist alright.  My SIL is from Allihies so I will ask her, when we meet next.

I have learned something today! Thank you!

@htkodiak if the Cahermore you want to visit is the one down the Beara Peninsula, then the only way would be with car and driver waiting to meet you at the ship.  You would not even have time to do the paperwork to rent a car as the trip to Beara will be at least 3 hours each direction.  The road network is narrow and twisty. No freeway! 

Thank you  for your help.I have about 9 months until the cruise so I still have plenty of time to plan.I believe that the local post office was run by my uncle Tim Harrington.

On 11/3/2021 at 4:51 PM, MeHeartCruising said:

When I first read this post, I was curious where Cahermore was, so I searched for it in Google Maps. It identified it as a small cluster of buildings on route R572 out near the tip of the Beara peninsula.   It appears to be the home of St. Michaels Catholic Church Cahermore.  Can we not trust Google?  Seriously, I fully trust the advice of a local.  I just found it interesting that Google has this. I must have some cousins still in the area , but no idea on how to contact them.

6E25B889-291F-441C-AB91-854DB80D226E.jpeg

Some of the info I have used is from old family photos one of which is a headstone and some funeral memorial cards. that belongs to my great Grandparents.This is where I got the name Cahermore.The actual place name on one funeral card is ; Cahermore , Castletownbere,County Cork.Another of the cards says Cahermore P.O. ,Bantry,Country Cork.I think this is where the post office is that my Great Uncle Tim Harrington was postmaster .