Random PCR tests on arrival to Canada

BarbaraGligoric

Just returned from Fort Lauderdale from an 8 day cruise. Had the cruise shuttle drop me off at Terminal 3 so I could get my rapid PCR test for my return the next day . Took only 15 minutes in and out and $159 US . Had my results before I got to the hotel..Filled out the arrive can app. Very easy. 
When I arrive in Montreal no one looked at any paper work, asked if I was vaccinated , never  asked for my arrive can receipt and passed me through to public health. There they were randomly selecting people to be retested for COVID using a PCR test. Dynacare provides the service and you have to open an account with them and then go in to have the test. There were 8 cubicles and they were full .test only took minutes and I was on my way . 
To say that this was a pain in the butt after along day travelling is an understatement. The only topic of conversation on the way to the baggage or connections was how none of the paper work was looked at ,no receipts asked for  and apparently some people were not even asked if they were vaccinated.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BarbaraGligoric said:

Just returned from Fort Lauderdale from an 8 day cruise. Had the cruise shuttle drop me off at Terminal 3 so I could get my rapid PCR test for my return the next day . Took only 15 minutes in and out and $159 US . Had my results before I got to the hotel..Filled out the arrive can app. Very easy. 
When I arrive in Montreal no one looked at any paper work, asked if I was vaccinated , never  asked for my arrive can receipt and passed me through to public health. There they were randomly selecting people to be retested for COVID using a PCR test. Dynacare provides the service and you have to open an account with them and then go in to have the test. There were 8 cubicles and they were full .test only took minutes and I was on my way . 
To say that this was a pain in the butt after along day travelling is an understatement. The only topic of conversation on the way to the baggage or connections was how none of the paper work was looked at ,no receipts asked for  and apparently some people were not even asked if they were vaccinated.

How unfortunate. You are the first poster to report having been subjected to a random test, but the possibility is there for all of us:

Upon your entry to Canada by air or at a land border crossing, the border services officer may notify you that you have been selected for a mandatory randomized arrival test.

If you are selected for a mandatory randomized test, you:

• Must take the arrival test as directed on the day you enter Canada. The test may be administered at the airport or you may receive a self-swab kit to complete within 24 hours of entering Canada
  • Don't have to wait for the results, you can travel on to your final destination, including taking connecting flights
  • Don’t have to quarantine while waiting for your results
  • Are not required to pay a fee for the arrival test

Completing your arrival test

Follow the directions you receive on arrival to complete your test:

• if you were directed to an on-site specimen collection at the airport, you are required to register with the testing service provider, and the provider will collect your sample
  • if you are provided with a self-swab kit, use the instructions in the kit to complete it within 24 hours of entering Canada, and arrange for it to be picked up

Who is exempt from arrival testing

• Already recovered: Travellers who provide proof of a positive COVID-19 molecular pre-entry test result, conducted at least 14 and no more than 180 days before their scheduled flight or arrival at the land border crossing, are exempt from arrival testing
  • People arriving by boat are exempt from arrival testing
  • Children under the age of 5 are exempt from arrival testing

Fully vaccinated travellers are not exempt from mandatory randomized arrival testing.

29 minutes ago, BarbaraGligoric said:

Did the cruiseline not provide a test before the last day?   Which cruiseline were you with?