Rules for 2 Countries

Crusenjohn

Had a brain injury earlier this year, so still easily confused and need clarification. My son suggested posting here to learn steps I need to follow.

1. I will be in US this winter. If I fly to Florida from Arizona to go on a cruise do I need a covid test to fly? How long before flight?

2. What type of test to board ship. When do I need to get it?

3. I have Covid passport. What lines are 100% vaxxed?

4. What kind of test to fly back to Canada?

5. Any other essential info I need.

Thank you so much for your help. My son can help with booking, but wants to be sure we are prepared for new rules.

John

1. At this time no COVID test is required to board US domestic flights.

2. Currently, fully vaccinated individuals require a negative antigen or PCR test performed within 2 days before boarding, e.g. test Thursday or Friday for a Saturday departure.or

3. Sailing from the US, currently: NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, Celebrity, Holland America, Princess, and others. There are usually exceptions allowed for under 12, medical and religious reasons. The last two may be severely limited.

4. An approved PCR test administered within 72 hours of departure is required to return to Canada. See https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/wizard-start for official guidance. Some cruise lines offer no charge approved PCR tests.

5. I'm sure there is much more. Insurance coverage while cruising may be one area that requires research. It is also important that cruise line health protocols be read and checked before departure. They have been changing.

• Like 1

The post by @broberts covers it very well. Under #5, I'd add to make sure that things like your passport and provincial health cards are up to date.

Do you have a cruise line or specific cruise in mind? There are further suggestion that could be offered if we knew.

• Like 1

Thanks for the easy to foĺlow details broberts. As to specific  cruise I was thinking of treating my grandson to a 10 day Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox in March. He would meet me when I fly from Arizona. I have insurance from Johnson and my son will go through it to check my coverage. I will also have him check a policy for my grandson. It has been over 3 years since I cruised, so I am psyched to try to plan this. Although because of my injury and covid it is much trickier than it used to be. You have both helped make it easier.

John

Good choice! DW and I will be on the Equinox March 13 sailing, which will be either just after or just before your sailing.

Celebrity has a number of advantages over some other lines at the current time, including their Safe Passage Home program and their free PCR test at the end of the cruise for reentry to Canada. If you haven't already looked at their Healthy At Sea webpages, I'd highly recommend them as a good source of information:  https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

You mention that you have Johnson insurance. COVID-related medical coverage varies with the group policy under which you are insured. I'm with the National Association of Federal Retirees, and we are covered, but not for COVID-related trip cancellation or interruption. This is where Celebrity's Safe Passage Home program is a big plus. This webpage may be of some help when looking at your insurance coverage:  https://www.johnson.ca/coronavirus?cid=email

Don't hesitate to pose more questions as they arise. 

• Like 1

Once again thanks for the info on insurance. When my son visits next week, I will show him the Celebrity info, and have him help weed through the fine print of my travel policy. Once we are sure what I will be insured for, and what I need to  buy for extra coverage, we will be ready to book the cruise. There will likely be more questions. I am so happy my son guided me here. What great info delivered in such a caring manner.

• Like 2