Which to do?

RYMOMA

19 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

Are you sure that information is accurate and up to date? That sounds like a lot of ships tendering. Which cruise lines ?

I checked again. Only two 

13 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

To answer your original question I would always book with third party except for Maya Kay or Sol y Mar.

Coming in on NCL and thinking of using discoverRoatan and going to Infinity. 
We usual cruise to Bermuda. I can navigate that place and the taxis to our fav beach is  easy 

I get nervous when going to a new place. Freak out and over plan. 
Plus it is my birthday and I want to make it special for myself and husband

1 hour ago, RYMOMA said:

Ok four ships 

didnt know there was another port. 
so NCL and RCL at the port of Roatan

two Carnivals at Mahogany Bay Port. 
can any tender in?

They used to tender (usually NCL at Coxen Hole) but since they extended the pier two ships can dock and two at Mahogany, winds permitting.

I wasn't sure with all the re-routed ships from other ports if they were planning to tender in addition.

I have never used Discover Roatan but they seem to be run by part of the Bodden family. Bodden is a big local name so not sure how closely related they are to Victor Bodden.  Victor Bodden and Rony used to be the main tourist operators on Roatan that were recommended in the past on CC. We have used several operators over the years. Many people rave about Roatan and particular drivers but we have never been over impressed. I believe Infinity used to offer its own taxi service but I have never used it. 

It is necessary on Roatan to arrange round trip service. You cannot rely on just picking up a taxi for the return trip. For the most part that requires you to either book through the facility you want to go to or arrange for a driver for the day to wait for you. Over the years most tour  companies have offered the same service at the same rates. The prices are reasonable for a group, or a tour, but for a couple just wanting to go to one location and return I think they are expensive. 

18 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

They used to tender (usually NCL at Coxen Hole) but since they extended the pier two ships can dock and two at Mahogany, winds permitting.

I wasn't sure with all the re-routed ships from other ports if they were planning to tender in addition.

I have never used Discover Roatan but they seem to be run by part of the Bodden family. Bodden is a big local name so not sure how closely related they are to Victor Bodden.  Victor Bodden and Rony used to be the main tourist operators on Roatan that were recommended in the past on CC. We have used several operators over the years. Many people rave about Roatan and particular drivers but we have never been over impressed. I believe Infinity used to offer its own taxi service but I have never used it. 

It is necessary on Roatan to arrange round trip service. You cannot rely on just picking up a taxi for the return trip. For the most part that requires you to either book through the facility you want to go to or arrange for a driver for the day to wait for you. Over the years most tour  companies have offered the same service at the same rates. The prices are reasonable for a group, or a tour, but for a couple just wanting to go to one location and return I think they are expensive. 

On discoverRoatan, round trip transport is included in cost. 
they also have one for sol y mar. 

which do you think might be best…. And how bad are the sand fleas??? 
I read reviews too much, then talk myself out of things. 
I always worry someone in my party will have a bad time. 
I still get reminded of a horseback ride to the waterfalls. Forgot to read the part where it was a ride over a mountain lol

Edited by RYMOMA

7 minutes ago, RYMOMA said:

On discoverRoatan, round trip transport is included in cost. 
they also have one for sol y mar. 

which do you think might be best…. And how bad are the sand fleas??? 
I read reviews too much, then talk myself out of things. 
I always worry someone in my party will have a bad time. 
I still get reminded of a horseback ride to the waterfalls. Forgot to read the part where it was a ride over a mountain lol

If reef snorkeling is the goal, West Bay is the answer. 

The sand fleas are very bad for some an not so bad for others.  Be diligent about applying a repellent which works well for you.  

• 3 months later...
On 11/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, RYMOMA said:

I checked again. Only two 

Coming in on NCL and thinking of using discoverRoatan and going to Infinity. 
We usual cruise to Bermuda. I can navigate that place and the taxis to our fav beach is  easy 

I get nervous when going to a new place. Freak out and over plan. 
Plus it is my birthday and I want to make it special for myself and husband

Hello! I was thinking of going to Infinity through DiscoverRoatan. Did you already go in your cruise? How was it?

We did Discover Roatan to Infinity Bay in November. I highly recommend both. It was our first time to use Discover Roatan and they were excellent.

We have been to Paradise Beach (next door to Infinity) several times and wanted to try Infinity Bay. It is a beautiful property with a great pool, good food and good service.

• Thanks 1

On 3/8/2022 at 4:15 PM, grantbob said:

We did Discover Roatan to Infinity Bay in November. I highly recommend both. It was our first time to use Discover Roatan and they were excellent.

We have been to Paradise Beach (next door to Infinity) several times and wanted to try Infinity Bay. It is a beautiful property with a great pool, good food and good service.

This is super helpful, thank you @grantbob! I hope that you don't mind me asking more questions! I saw on a review that the Infinity Bay area for day guests / cruise guests is a small area to the side. Was that your experience? Were you able to see the water from the chairs? Was there shade? Could you use the pool without a hassle? Did you go with the AI plan or did you pay for your food and drinks separately? And finally, how did it compare to Paradise Beach? 

Our goal  is to snorkel from shore and perhaps walk up the beach to Foster's and get my son to jet ski and then relax at the beach for a bit with a nice view, and then get some food and drinks. Is Infinity my best option?  THANK YOU!

For your goal, either one will be great. Both have great views and good food. They are basically next door to each other so the view is very similar. Infinity is closer to where you want to snorkel, but Paradise is not that much of a walk at all. I've never been to Fosters but it looks like its a ways down. I think you can rent a jet ski much closer. There's a desk on the beach for different tours and excursions and I think they have them.

As for your Infinity questions....   We didn't experience "small area off to the side", not sure what that is. Our loungers were right on the beach. There was shade from trees over them. We used the pool with no problems at all and actually moved our stuff to pool loungers in the afternoon. We did the non-AI but would probably book the AI next time. 

As for the differences - Infinity is a little more upscale but Paradise is very nice too. Infinity has a bigger pool but I like the seating/shade around Paradise's pool more. One of the big differences is the beach loungers at Infinity have a roped off area (see pic)  that the vendors can not come past. They do stand at the edge and talk to you though, but I felt a slightly less interrupted than at Paradise.

I would (and will) go to either one again. I like the vibe and experience at both.

20211118_103523.jpg

• Like 1