Dec weather in Galveston?

claurosani

I've been looking at average highs/lows for Galveston in Dec (around Xmas) but it is hard to work out exactly what the weather feels like at this time of year.

We're flying from the UK so we'll bring jackets/gloves/scarves etc anyway but is this too much for this part of Texas in the winter? What about during the cruise, is the temperature for those days at sea chilly at night, enough for a thick jacket? Or would a hoodie be enough?

Claudia 

It will certainly be chilly at night. Last year we had a very unusual cold spell where it got well below freezing through all of Texas in January - but that was very unusual.  

Typically the humidity is high - so it will feel more chilly than in drier climates. 

I have a cruise out of Galveston in January - I will bring a light winter jacket, and a sweater/hoodie I can wear together (or separate). Kind of like what I use for our (end of season) Alaskan cruise. Layers are more flexible for unknown climates. It will also rain about 1 day in 3 down there so make sure your outerwear can be waterproof/resistant.

1692987087_ScreenShot2021-11-15at10_15_05AM.thumb.png.47981f1d7c1f040945b1ecb6a8a1c6b6.png

As a native Houstonian, averages are just that. It won't be as cold in Galveston as in Houston, but sometimes feels as cold with the wind off the Gulf. I can remember Christmas when it was at least 80. I can remember Christmas when it was in the 20s. It is entirely possible to have at least 3 of the 4 seasons in one day - which 3?? - take your pick! 😊😉🤩

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

As a native Houstonian, averages are just that. It won't be as cold in Galveston as in Houston, but sometimes feels as cold with the wind off the Gulf. I can remember Christmas when it was at least 80. I can remember Christmas when it was in the 20s. It is entirely possible to have at least 3 of the 4 seasons in one day - which 3?? - take your pick! 😊😉🤩

And I remember when it snowed Christmas Eve in Galveston  and was 80 the week before -2004!

• Like 2

You very well may need that clothing for Galveston, but not necessarily the ship. I've done a couple of February cruises from here and generally by the first morning at sea, you are far enough south that you're back wearing shorts. And it generally won't get chilly again until the night you are coming back into port.

• Like 1

Thanks all - very useful info. I grew up in Northern Mexico and well remember that "winter" is pretty unpredictable with some Christmases spent in shorts while others below freezing! 

Layers it is! I do so hope that we get some nice weather once on the ship as living in the UK we so rarely get warm sunshine and after nearly 2 years of being "stuck" here, I could do with some sun on my face.

Thanks for your help.

Claudia

• Like 1