7% Fort Lauderdale sales tax charge on every drink purchase for entire cruise

wesport

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

it benefits the local economy because the only liquor allowed to be sold has Canadian tax paid on it.  90% of all liquor on the ship comes in "bonded", meaning no import duty or local, state, or federal liquor taxes have been paid on it.

I just noticed the change to your location under your avatar.  Congratulations on your retirement! 😀 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting thread.  I do recall that when I purchased a soda package while in port in FLA, I'd not do it at the bar.  I'd do it at those kiosks around the ship.  Seemed like if the package was rung up in port, I would get charged sales tax.  The kiosks wouldn't but posted until we left port, and no sales tax.  I never thought about the fact that I was paying for drinks in the future and yet would be charged sales tax as if I was in FLA.  Since then, I've bought the packages weeks before.  

So from a consistency perspective, if one bought a package while in port, I bet there is sales tax if it was posted while in port.  

I don't agree that the sales tax should be charged on multi-day drink packages but they do/did.