LIVE REVIEW: NCL Escape (7-night PCV, COZ, OCHO, GSC)

drumexpert510

Hey all! Please see below for responses and comments:

• CVS barcode will be generated when you check-in for your cruise (21 days out) and complete the Covid check-in (there will be a link on NCL's website). I suggest downloading their app too when asked (I believe it's called My Chart). You'll get your results a lot quicker if you sign up for all of the alerts too than when they post your code on the screen

• Great Stirrup Cay was AWESOME. Such a nice, relaxing beach day with drinks and food included as if you're still on the ship. Plenty of loungers, and lots of little places to relax as well as get hyped up. Tenders were smooth going there and back. They had live music, a DJ, and everything was basically open. They also have a straw market, which was nice. I didn't do any excursions here, but I know a few people that have and they said they were awesome. I rented a paddleboard though, and it was fun. Everything was up and running, and everyone was having a great relaxing time. I honestly don't like having an island on the last day - I need a sea day buffer to accept that it's coming to an end, this way I don't have to get back on the ship and do the dreaded thing: pack 😞  but that's a personal preference lol

• Ocho Rios - I've done the Dune River Falls the last time I was here, and it was fantastic. However, don't underestimate it - it can be a challenge, and if you have some people in your group that aren't prepared, it could hold things up. This time I did one of the exclusive beach resorts through NCL  because I was looking to relax more so on this particular trip, and it was amazing. The staff was incredible. No problems, only solutions! 🙂

• Entertainment was on par to pre-pandemic levels in a lot of ways. I think the only downfall (for the entertainers) was that since the ship wasn't (anywhere NEAR!) full capacity, a lot of venues were empty the first few days - which was great for an intimate experience, but at times could feel a bit awkward for the entertainers but they were incredibly professional and still entertained everyone as if it was a packed venue. As the week went on, though, certain venues started to fill more (specifically Howl at the Moon and Choir of Men the last day). I HIGHLY recommend seeing Choir of Men - early in the week, and then again towards the end of the week if you have the time to see it twice. SO WORTH IT

• Can't comment on WiFi - I'm fortunate enough to be able to completely disconnect while on vacation. Hopefully someone else can shed some light for you

• Show times usually run for about 75 minutes or so. I think comedy may have been a bit shorter. The only shows I made reservations for was After Midnight and the second showing of Choir of Men (only because word was getting around, and everyone was booking). Other than that, I was basically able to walk into any venue for whatever show was going on and sit right down. It was really nice with the reduced capacity - so nice that I'm itching to go again before cruise lines open up fully again 
  • Like 2

On 12/9/2021 at 7:28 PM, JCDCA said:

For anyone who's been on recently, how was the wifi?  I unfortunately need to be able to do some work onboard.  Mostly working on documents, emailing, and maybe an occasional zoom or teams call.  I did already pay to upgrade to the unlimited internet with streaming.  Thanks! 

The wifi is adequate for work, if slow. Don't try downloading large files and don't try video calls. I never actually tried steaming though, thankfully I was able to disconnect, but wife had a bunch of studying to do.

It actually broke on our trip before Cozumel and though the IT guy was vague, I was informed they sent over a tech and a dns server to fix it, it was resolved when I checked as we left Cozumel.

19 minutes ago, notworkste said:

The wifi is adequate for work, if slow. Don't try downloading large files and don't try video calls. I never actually tried steaming though, thankfully I was able to disconnect, but wife had a bunch of studying to do.

It actually broke on our trip before Cozumel and though the IT guy was vague, I was informed they sent over a tech and a dns server to fix it, it was resolved when I checked as we left Cozumel.

We were on Escape last week as well. I had pre-purchased the Unlimited Streaming WiFi package to get the better rate. We brought our wireless router from home and hooked it to our main laptop device with the account on it. Then all our devices just automatically connected and we shared the wifi. Once in a while it'd be spotty or a little slow, but for doing the basics, it was a life saver.

We fought the internet for the first 2 days before we broke out the router. It was awful! Trying to use it on one device, then disconnecting to use on another, then it'd reconnect back and forth on its own....I even out of desperation bought 2 more packages, one for each of us, and it still wouldn't stay connected right. So, wireless router and the high-end package were the answer for us.

• Like 1

We cruise end of January and I am confused about NCLs Covid requirements.  We cruised Royal in October and just did Carnival and for each we were tested for Covid two days before the cruise and showed the negative result oi the cruise line.  We assume that will be enough for NCL.  Is that correct.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:27 PM, Ocala Cruisers said:

We cruise end of January and I am confused about NCLs Covid requirements.  We cruised Royal in October and just did Carnival and for each we were tested for Covid two days before the cruise and showed the negative result oi the cruise line.  We assume that will be enough for NCL.  Is that correct.

You’ll be tested at the pier and will be required to show your vaccine card. You only need to have a negative pcr test beforehand in the event you test positive at the pier to be reimbursed for any expenses for quarantine/cruise refund. 

Thanks for all the info. We "Escape" in Feb and just made final payment. Now we can start researching the ship and ports. I noticed some of the entries for the Supper Club said with dinner and some didn't. Is there a charge for the dinner? Are there times when dinner isn't offered so there is no charge? We don't have the dining package.

Thanks,

Tony

Dinner is normally complimentary.    You need to reserve in advance.   One our 7 day cruise, (Dec 4-11) only one night had a surcharge.   Doors open at 6:00 PM.

At 6:20 PM standbys were allowed in to be seated for the no shows.   Show started at 6:30 PM,  3 course meal started as soon as you were seated.  Show lasted about 40 minutes.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:28 AM, bornin49 said:

We will be sailing on the escape FEB 5 ,2022 our first time on the escape, we look forward to your review, thank you.

We will be on the same cruise.  Kinda apprehensive, but only because it's my daughter's first time cruising, and I really wanted her to have a great experience.