Flying from Manchester

silkworms

Wondered if anyone had flown from Manchester to Caribbean within last few weeks.

Have  had all instructions from P and O and understand them all.

However, would be helpful if anyone could answer -

The walk-in testing is at The Station at Manchester Airport.
Are there loads of trollies there? It is a walk to Terminal 2 but 

as we have loads of luggage would it be a better idea to get the

taxi to wait for us being tested and then collect us to take us

to T2? He could wait in one of the short stay car parks until we ring him.

I know it says it may take up to an hour but am not looking forward

to the walk with all the luggage! We are going for a month so have even

purchased extra baggage allowance!

Would be really grateful of you letting me know your experience and give any tips.

Terri

Hi Terri

you have beaten me to it as I was going to put a very similar post on here . Trust P&O to use the testing facility furthest away from terminal 2 when there is a testing facility in terminal 2. Anyway we have booked and paid for parking in terminal 2 west car park for the entire month. So we have been mulling over whether to park up, walk to the testing centre then walking back to pick up the luggage. This would save lugging several cases all over the place since the walking distance is quite considerable and we are not the most active people now. Terri,  I don’t think we will get much response from our cc colleagues as I don’t think there has been much travel from Manchester to Barbados except perhaps to join the Britannia. I think the bottom line is that we will be worn out before we get on the plane, never mind the ship. Happy days!

Hi Pennib

Sounds like you’ve got it sorted, thought I had today when I saw

on Airports website an advert for a firm to collect and deliver your

luggage to plane provided you had checked in.  Unfortunately they

have not yet started up after Covid so big disappointment there!

oh well, all dependent on taxi driver now! Will have to take it as it comes.

I have no experience of flying to The Caribbean in the past few weeks, but do know Manchester airport very well and understand the taxi drivers are now charged a lot to park up, even for a short spell at the airport now, and of course they would be charging for waiting time as well.

The walk to T2 from the transport hub, (which includes the station) is via a direct overhead walkway and there is a lift up to that from the train station.  T2 is in fact just opposite the station so I would not think of that as a particularly long way and is designed to be used to access the terminals with luggage. After the 9/11 restrictions all taxis/buses had to drop all travelers at the transport hub, (as vehicles could not drop off nearer to the terminals), so everyone had to use the walkways to the terminals.  I can see you may have concerns about there being sufficient trolley availability, but perhaps P&O or the airport itself could give you information on that.  I think there is a charge for trollies though, so make sure you have some coins to hand. 

I cannot think of any car parks which are an easy walk to the train station as they are all very large and and spread out as well as not being nearby.  Also the paving will not be as good as an airport walkway, even to take your hand luggage bags, but there will be transfer buses and I would expect them to be happy to drop you at the station if that is where you need to go - perhaps check with the car park.  

I would presume there would be some help available for anyone who has mobility or other health problems, but again best to speak with someone from the airport, or P&O may be able to advise, in case it is necessary to book any help which may be available.

Even if you are delivered to the taxi drop off at the terminal, there is still some walking to the check in area, which itself is a large open area and often you need to use a lift to a different floor to access departures.

Edited by tring

11 hours ago, silkworms said:

Wondered if anyone had flown from Manchester to Caribbean within last few weeks.

Have  had all instructions from P and O and understand them all.

However, would be helpful if anyone could answer -

The walk-in testing is at The Station at Manchester Airport.
Are there loads of trollies there? It is a walk to Terminal 2 but 

as we have loads of luggage would it be a better idea to get the

taxi to wait for us being tested and then collect us to take us

to T2? He could wait in one of the short stay car parks until we ring him.

I know it says it may take up to an hour but am not looking forward

to the walk with all the luggage! We are going for a month so have even

purchased extra baggage allowance!

Would be really grateful of you letting me know your experience and give any tips.

Terri

7 hours ago, pennib said:

Hi Terri

you have beaten me to it as I was going to put a very similar post on here . Trust P&O to use the testing facility furthest away from terminal 2 when there is a testing facility in terminal 2. Anyway we have booked and paid for parking in terminal 2 west car park for the entire month. So we have been mulling over whether to park up, walk to the testing centre then walking back to pick up the luggage. This would save lugging several cases all over the place since the walking distance is quite considerable and we are not the most active people now. Terri,  I don’t think we will get much response from our cc colleagues as I don’t think there has been much travel from Manchester to Barbados except perhaps to join the Britannia. I think the bottom line is that we will be worn out before we get on the plane, never mind the ship. Happy days!

Please see my previous post.  I would also like to add that I am pretty sure there is a section of moving walkway on that overhead walkway from the transport hub to T2, but I cannot be 100% sure as it was about 3 years since we last used it.  That is something recent passengers may be able to confirm.

Edited by tring

2 hours ago, tring said:

Hi

we were on the first full Caribbean cruise and returned 10 days ago.

There are plenty of seats at the station where you wait for 30 minutes to get your test result. You then get a sticker on your passport and you need this to check in. There is a lift from the station and then there are a couple of walkways to the terminal, I would say it took about 10 minutes to walk from the covid testing to the check in desk.

Hope that helps 

Please see my previous post.  I would also like to add that I am pretty sure there is a section of moving walkway on that overhead walkway from the transport hub to T2, but I cannot be 100% sure as it was about 3 years since we last used it.  That is something recent passengers may be able to confirm.

Sorry, I can’t remember if there were trolleys at the station as we were able to wheel ours. It might be worth giving the station a ring. If there aren’t any, you could always go to the terminal first to collect a trolley and walk through to the testing.

it was very well organised at the testing centre. 
It is a performance getting everything in place for the holiday- but it will be worth it!

4 weeks ago;   at the airport railway station (part of airport complex)

We waited 10 mins for the test, 45 mins for results/passport sticker;  You have to go upstairs to access the walkway to the airport check in, there were only a couple of luggage trolleys  --all in use.

The travellators were all turned off ( to save its carbon footprint) so Unlucky for me I had to walk the full distance on crutches, dragging a suitcase & a back pack---probably took me half an hour & i was knackered ! thanks ever so much for that.

Only when we reached departure entrance did a lady see me and ask if i needed help--i did!   She got on the radio and i was plonked in a wheelchair & she took us via priority and then told us it was gate 12 we needed and it was the furthest away from departure lounge...bummer. 

We reached gate 12 after about 10 minutes travelling through airport in a wheelchair, using ramps and lifts to go up levels.

However when we landed in Barbados it was so different; taken off plane by lift and taken to minibus to the ship.  going home as soon as we arrived at airport a lady seen me on crutches and we were all taken through priority boarding to get on plane before everybody else.

Yes, i would do it again but book a wheelchair in advance at Manchester in case they turn the travellators off again.

I’ve read that the testing centre is closed on Christmas Day. Someone mentioned it on a FB group. There are flights out Christmas Day so not sure how P&O are going to get around that! I fly from Gatwick on that day and just wish P&O were more transparent with their plans!!!