Emed/Telemed Rapid test - used as a backup, but should I bring it onboard?

DaveOKC

I know this sounds a bit odd, but............

We both were tested today at CVS and results were Negative.  I had bought the eMed/Telehealth tests as a backup plan, in case CVS messed up somehow.

Now, since I have copies of the Negative results in hand, is there ANY reason to bring the eMed/Telehealth tests with us on the cruise.  We are departing out of Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, flying in tomorrow (Saturday).  These tests need to be carried on due to temps. in the hold.

Thoughts please.  Leaving in the AM.

As long as you have the CVS negative results in hand you should not need to take the eMed tests with you.  You won't need to be tested to fly within the U.S. BUT if things change between now and the end of your cruise it wouldn't hurt to be safe rather than sorry.  It might change due to the new Omicron varient spreading across country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

We both were tested today at CVS and results were Negative.  I had bought the eMed/Telehealth tests as a backup plan, in case CVS messed up somehow.

Now, since I have copies of the Negative results in hand, is there ANY reason to bring the eMed/Telehealth tests with us on the cruise.  We are departing out of Fort Lauderdale on Sunday, flying in tomorrow (Saturday).  These tests need to be carried on due to temps. in the hold.

I ordered eMed tests last summer for a Nov. 6 cruise that was cancelled.  In Sept we took a river cruise in Europe and it was suggested to test before we flew, so we used 2 tests...worked perfectly.  I took 2 boxes in my carryon bag and had downloaded the Navica app in case we had to test before returning to the states.  The river cruise did test us, so no need to use the 2 tests.

If you take them it is important to keep them in your carryon as there is a temperature range.

Have a great cruise!

We did - You should. On one recent cruise we had taken a set of tests with us (Just in Case-you never know). One day DW was not feeling well so we pulled out the test first thing and tested her while on the ship, bobbing-on the ocean (negative). It was good to get that issue off-the-table right at the start. 

They do not weight much, nor take up excessive room - and you just never know when you might want to test. I mean, what if you have to fly home mid-cruise for some reason, what if you just do not feel well. Easy to pull out and do the test, You can do it without the proctor if you just want to see if you have the COVID Crud or not (You do need the proctor to use it to fly home...)

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Tests can’t go in check in luggage?   

43 minutes ago, Evilmuffin said:

Unless there are pets in the cargo hold, the temperature in the cargo hold can vary dramatically. The tests are only valid if temperature is maintained basically at room temperature. 

@RGEDad   Thanks.   I woke up early this morning and pulled the box out of my suitcase.   I hadn’t even taken it out of the cardboard box it was sent it.   Opened it and saw on the outside of the test box about staying between 15 and 30C.    In my carry on now. 

Thanks @DaveOKC   If you hadn’t of posted this thread, I would have probably ruined a $179 test.

11 hours ago, Evilmuffin said:

Besides airplane holds, there is also the temperature ranges that occur in tests packed in luggage and left to sit on the airport tarmac  or in a car .

The car temperatures can be especially a problems for those cruises leaving from warm temperature ports (such as Florida) where the interior of the car hits 100 +F when parked in the sun.