running

Scorpiorose

I'm a runner, we'll be going on the miracle 4/2 and I was wondering if there is a deck for running? If so....how many laps to make a mile? I know I can use the gym but if there are too many people I'll run on the deck or I may anyway, I like to mix it up....thanks:)

I believe it is more like 16 laps for a mile. It is so many laps I think I would loose track before I ran that many! Carnival also puts deck chairs on that deck during the day, so if you run you have to go early in the day or very late otherwise, it will be like running hurdles.

My experience, so far, was with the running track on Ecstasy. Its track was about 11 lap per mile. The track on Spirit class ships appears even smaller. Either way, it seemed too short to count, so I went by time.

The big problem I had was that major portions of the track were the curves. This quickly led to major fatigue to the "inside" leg. And they did not alternate the direction. Spirit class seems to have even less straight-a-ways.

I might try getting up there super early and try running the wrong way until someone else shows up. That might even things up.

Next Tuesday (2/28), Carnival Spirit (Carnival Miracle's sister ship) will be in port and you'll be able to check out her track at http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/1amnorth/camera1&pan=-112.27731&tilt=-16.802689&panfov=5.353011&tiltfov=4.1723685&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1113787827626&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&zoom=8.724062&vfmap.x=293&vfmap.y=62&vfmap.w=83&vfmap.h=56 . You can drag across the picture to zoom in.

I was training for a 1/2 marathon when I sailed on the Imagination last year. The track was just too small and filled with walkers to get in any kind of distance. After about 20 minutes of round, oops excuse me and round, sorry, pardon me, and round, coming thru!, I decided the even the dreadmill was better.

I'm sure the track on the Valor is similar. You'll be dizzy by mile 1! Never had a problem finding an available treadmill...the earlier in the morning the better.

Ok do you know when the gym opens? I don't have a problem getting up at 6, especially if I get to lay around on the beach the rest of the day:p ! I usually watch a movie on the portable dvd to help time pass, 6 miles on a dreadmill can be like 60, the movies really help pass that time. I'll bring that. Not interested in doing hurdles or the pardon me dance around the ship for 75 laps! Thanks

I ran on the Sun Deck each morning on the Miracle. I starting running between 6:30 and 7:00am and ran for 1 hour. At this time there was never a problem with chairs or walkers. My guess is that 5 laps on the Sun Deck was about a mile. Wish you were there with me as I was the only runner up early to get the miles in. :D

The gym was open at 6:30am the week I was on the ship.

I'm with you ScorpioRose, I hate running the dreadmill. It is a last option when weather makes outdoors runs impossible. I've never had a problem running the track, especially if I get up early to run. Meal times (specifically lunch) usually isn't very busy either. As far as number of laps to make a mile, it varies by ship, but it is usually a high number so I keep track of time and I know my average pace.

I'm a runner, we'll be going on the miracle 4/2 and I was wondering if there is a deck for running? If so....how many laps to make a mile? I know I can use the gym but if there are too many people I'll run on the deck or I may anyway, I like to mix it up....thanks:)

I was training for the NYC Marathon when I cruised, as a matter of fact, I found out I had gotten in the marathon while I was on the cruise!

Forget the track. I tried and as phroggie mentioned, one of your legs will fatique early plus it is a PIA trying to run around the walkers (three abreast, what is up with that?).

Hit the treadmill or run in port. I don't know if your cruise goes to Key West but it is a great scenic place to run.

I love to run when I'm out of town because it is a great way to see the sights. One of my favorites was a run across The Brooklyn Bridge and back in NYC while the sun was rising. Breathtaking.

I found that for the first couple of days of the cruise that the gym (treadmills) are relatively busy right at 6:00 AM when it open, but after those couple of days the attendance tends to lessen through the rest of the cruise.

As far as running up on the Sports deck, it too is a little crowded the first couple of mornings and then thins out as well.

The only problem I had running up on deck on my Glory cruise last August was this sweet young girl who was actually running (as opposed to my jogging) and making me look bad :)

As someone else mentioned, it can be tough to get around the 3-across walkers especially on one of the curves. Of course, after I just ran through them a couple of times, they figured it out :)

Barry

I'm glad someone asked this question. I cruised once before on the Elation and I was too out of shape at that time to run, so I didn't pay much attention to how far it was around the track.

This upcoming cruise, 3/4/06, I'm definitely looking forward to running on the track and the dreadmill. I am traditionally an early riser but might be lagging behind a little bit to compensate for the change from PST to EST. I look at it this way, the more I exercise then the more I can eat/drink.:cool:

BTW, if I find the inner leg fatigue to be a factor for me then perhaps I'll try running backwards.:eek:

For those of you who run on cruise ships do you notice it to be difficult to remain balanced on the treadmill with the movement off the ship? I have recently started jogging/running trying to work up to all running. So far I am at 4 1/2 miles ;) So this will be my first time running on a cruise ship. Just want to make sure I dont twist an ankle or something because that would ruin the cruise.

One other question since I am new to the whole jogging/running thing maybe one of the more experienced runners can help me. I have been running at the gym on the treadmill but when it warms up I would like to try running outside. However I have heard that it is harder on your knees to run on the pavement than to run on the treadmill. Anyone have any experience with this?

Only 25 days and I can jog with a view of the ocean ;)

On both of my Carnival cruises, I've never had any problems getting a treadmill if I wanted one. However, DH and I normally hit the gym in the afternoon / early evening. There was one time when all the treadmills were occuppied when I first arrived (a day at sea), so I hopped on the bike for 15 minutes until one was available.

As for your question about running outside... yes, there are many people who will tell you that the constant pounding of pavement or concrete sidewalks will take a toll on your joints. I've had three knee surgeries, but still prefer to run outside. What I do now is find grassy or sand-like trails to run on instead of the sidewalks that used to punish me. If I can't find a trail, I just run on the grass next to the sidewalk whenevr possible. So much better than running on a treadmill...

Ok then....I'll see what I can do on the dreadmill! I figure, as an avid runner for over 25 yrs. that if I manage to run at least half the time I may break even on the additional eating!:D So I run on days at sea! I've run on the dreadmill on RCI and it wasn't a problem, the motion of the ocean! I do get board on the dreadmill and run on it in Washington during the snow season (after 25 yrs. of running I thought I'd give up running in snow and ice) and finally bought a dreadmill. Now I put my portable dvd player on and watch a movie so.....I'll bring it on the ship....I know....it's like bringing a coffee pot....but it's also good for airport layovers and long plane rides from washington......Finally I must say.....I've run outside for years and I've done ok, knee wise and I've done marathons etc......I figure if they go one day I'll buy new ones:p .....it's all in the right shoes too! I buy new every 4 months.....Have a ball!:)

I ran on the Sun Deck each morning on the Miracle. I starting running between 6:30 and 7:00am and ran for 1 hour. At this time there was never a problem with chairs or walkers. My guess is that 5 laps on the Sun Deck was about a mile. Wish you were there with me as I was the only runner up early to get the miles in.

Carnival Spirit's Sun Deck looked very tempting to me in the San Diego Webcam. And you can do figure-eights to even up the fatigue. Nobody tried to stop you? I would think they'd be scared that you might slip or collide with someone. I guess it's worth a try.

Archived