The Odyssey, on-the-sea - Dec 18, 2021

shark b8

And, for as much or little as it’s worth - we sailed away from Dominica about 7-8 hours ago, but we’re still on her west coast, essentially treading water.  Have no idea what that might mean.

to repeat (10 minutes from now) Happy New Year, may it be better than the last one.

Our call in St Barts has been canceled, so we have an unanticipated sea day tomorrow.  Apparently there are (were?) Covid-positive cases onboard, but iron-clad details are murky.  It would seem that cruise ships are experiencing similar circumstance as most everywhere else - skyrocketing cases, but of far less seriousness than was apparently the case during Delta’s peak.  Let’s hope that initial assessment is accurate.

• Like 3

On 12/31/2021 at 3:44 PM, shark b8 said:

The “Emerald Pool”:

IMG_3982.MOV 4.98 MB · 11 downloads  

The paved pathway to this lovely site is so much different from what I experienced several years ago.  That pathway was a potential ankle breaker having to negotiate slippery stone steps of different heights and widths.  

Well, to be honest, we didn’t go all the way down to the level of the pool & waterfall.  We ain’t as young as we used-to-was, as they say.  So I’m not sure what sort of path went on beyond our walk, but the shorter walk we did was beautiful, and pretty easy for us oldsters, and still provided a nice photogenic shot of the waterfall.

• Thanks 1

St Bart’s went bye-bye, for whatever reason, so we had an additional sea day. Now tomorrow (Virgin Gorda), we’re scheduled for an early shore excursion, but are advised we need to do yet another antigen test in the Salon before going ashore.  *sigh*

On 12/21/2021 at 7:00 PM, shark b8 said:
On 12/21/2021 at 6:15 PM, FlyingScotSailors said:

Jan Stedman is a great CD……Please tell her Ann and Peter say hello.

When I get the opportunity I promise to do exactly that.

very late to get around to this, but I dutifully said “hello from Ann and Peter” and she said to say hello right back!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, shark b8 said:

St Bart’s went bye-bye, for whatever reason, so we had an additional sea day. Now tomorrow (Virgin Gorda), we’re scheduled for an early shore excursion, but are advised we need to do yet another antigen test in the Salon before going ashore.  *sigh*

I'm still following your posts Shark b8 and thank you for an insight into cruising with covid.  I hope your cruise continues to be 'plain sailing' but you must be disappointed that you have missed ports which have been replaced by sea days.  Personally, I am not a fan of sea days being a very active person.

Here in the UK we have been overwhelmed by Omnicrom so probably won't be able to join Odyssey on Saturday.  I don't suppose we are the only ones .....    Best Wishes, Happy New Year.

Hi been reading your blog and enjoyed your lighthearted way of writing. A question for you. How many ports were changed before you even set off and how many did you not make a stop at because of Covid issues?

Sailed with Seabourn on a couple of occasions and are due to sail from Bridgetown for a 7 night cruise on 5 March. They have already changed 2 ports, one of which was on our bucket list. We enjoy cruising but are ‘destination’ cruisers and certainly don't want to spend 7 days at sea. Omicron has changed things considerably since we booked when things seemed to be settling down.

We are regular visitors to Barbados will be there for over a week before the cruise and have accommodation we can get access for another week should we decide to cancel the cruise but have to decide soon.

Just now, Dunnedg said:

Hi been reading your blog and enjoyed your lighthearted way of writing. A question for you. How many ports were changed before you even set off and how many did you not make a stop at because of Covid issues?

Sailed with Seabourn on a couple of occasions and are due to sail from Bridgetown for a 7 night cruise on 5 March. They have already changed 2 ports, one of which was on our bucket list. We enjoy cruising but are ‘destination’ cruisers and certainly don't want to spend 7 days at sea. Omicron has changed things considerably since we booked when things seemed to be settling down.

We are regular visitors to Barbados will be there for over a week before the cruise and have accommodation we can get access for another week should we decide to cancel the cruise but have to decide soon.

We are in a similar position. We are due to leave Barbados on the 19th Feb, with covid increasing on cruise ships plus all the restrictions we really want to cancel. Contacted my TA for options. We can cancel 30 days prior to sailing and take their "book with confidence" option. Basically we can get 100 percent FCC but you must book and sail by the end of 2022. We looked at a cruise in March 2023 but SB wont have it. If we cancel and ask for a refund we lose a lot of money, like you we have to decide by the 21st Jan what to do. The other killer is that we have a very substantial on board credit which we would lose if we take the FCC option, sailing does not look like fun at this time.