Pay now or later?

georgeb

Don't pay until you have to. Once you're paid in full you have no power at all. We didn't get our military discount and I called to try to get it or a credit or something and having paid in full, they don't really concern themselves with you, they have your money. I learned I'll never prepay again. It's like the IRS - you should have access to your money as long as you can....:D

I book directly with Carnival and I always pay in full. I have always been given the cheaper rate if there is a sale, or free upgrades after I book. All three cruises I have been on with Carnival, I have had the price drop AFTER paying in full but was still able to get the discount. Also was able to use UPS discount after booking was paid in full. -In this my cases the extra money saved was added as onboard credit, worked for me... I would have spent it there anyway!

Hope this helps!!

Don't pay until you have to. Once you're paid in full you have no power at all. We didn't get our military discount and I called to try to get it or a credit or something and having paid in full, they don't really concern themselves with you, they have your money. I learned I'll never prepay again. It's like the IRS - you should have access to your money as long as you can....:D

Not true! You can pay in full at any time and cancel with full refund, or rebook at a lower price if the price goes down up until about 70 days prior for a 7 day cruise.

Don't pay until you have to. Once you're paid in full you have no power at all.

That's really not true. My PVP has gotten me shipboard credits well after final payment on a coupla cruises - and I've also changed my cabin location once - even after I got my docs - without penalty fee.

For one cruise, I saw a lower rate on a Friday when I was cruising the following Monday......I called my PVP, and VOILA! - a nice shipboard credit only three days before my cruise!:)

Scorpio Rose, in your case, you could not get a retroactive Military discount as they were already sold out for your cruise when you asked. (April 2 Miracle, you were asking around Jan/Feb per your posts) You can only get credit/upgrades/refunds if the new price or discount is actually being offered to other people at that time. It had nothing to do with when you paid.

Don't pay until you have to. Once you're paid in full you have no power at all.

That's really not true. My PVP has gotten me shipboard credits well after final payment on a coupla cruises - and I've also changed my cabin location once - even after I got my docs - without penalty fee.

For one cruise, I saw a lower rate on a Friday when I was cruising the following Monday......I called my PVP, and VOILA! - a nice shipboard credit only three days before my cruise!:)

Yep, Cotton, that's happened to us as well.

Does paying in full increase/decrease upgrades? Should I pay it all now or wait until the last minute? Or doesn't it matter?
Since everyone else has covered whether or not you should wait and if it matters, let me just say, no. Paying in full will have absolutely no effect on whether or not you get an upgrade. Upgrades seem to be based on supply and demand and luck of the draw.

So whether or not you pay off your cruise now, good luck on your upgrade.

Mike,

Thanks for answering the original question. Everyone, thanks for your imput also.:D Just as an added note, my PVP said I could get a miltary discount. I sent her everything see needed that same day. I'm still waiting for it. However I haven't check my email today, so I shouldn't complain just yet. I'm going to pay in full once she makes the change to reflect that discount. I don't have my hopes up for a big upgrade as I've booked a room for 5. Not as many of those on a ship as rooms for 2 but we'll see what happens.

I am planning to be on the Pride April 2, for the seven day cruise. I am waiting for my tax return to pay for it.

My question is, should I book directly with Carnival, or go through my travel agent? If I go with a guarantee, what is the possability for an upgrade. Is going thru one have better chances than the other?

Does paying in full increase/decrease upgrades? Should I pay it all now or wait until the last minute? Or doesn't it matter?

Good question. (Don't know how answers got into payments) I've wondered the same thing. On a previous cruise I DID pay in full and sure enough I received an upgrade within two weeks. On my current booking I've only paid the deposit and I have been wondering if paying in full would increase my upgrade potential.

Why would you pay before you have to, all that does is give the cruise line use of your money longer. You neither gain nor lose any benefits by paying before you have to, so wait!

Mike,

Thanks for answering the original question. Everyone, thanks for your imput also.:D Just as an added note, my PVP said I could get a miltary discount. I sent her everything see needed that same day. I'm still waiting for it. However I haven't check my email today, so I shouldn't complain just yet. I'm going to pay in full once she makes the change to reflect that discount. I don't have my hopes up for a big upgrade as I've booked a room for 5. Not as many of those on a ship as rooms for 2 but we'll see what happens.

You're welcome. And you're right, pickins are probably slim with 5 in a cabin, but I'm sure the discount will keep you quite content. :p I checked for my upcoming cruise, which has gone up $150 pp, and the MD would have still been $100 less than what we originally are paying.

I am planning to be on the Pride April 2, for the seven day cruise. I am waiting for my tax return to pay for it.

My question is, should I book directly with Carnival, or go through my travel agent? If I go with a guarantee, what is the possability for an upgrade. Is going thru one have better chances than the other?

Final payment is due a set number of days prior to your cruise. If you book within the final payment window the full payment is due really quick so with an April 2 sailing you may not have any choice but to pay all now.

Archived