Paranoia: Border Closures

DHLuCruise

Folks. Talk me off the cliff here. What are the chances of the US introducing border closures again? For us driving to our cruiseports that would be pretty devastating. I know nobody is the oracle here. I figured there would be some whispers out by now if this was something to happen. (We leave on Wednesday the 22nd of Dec)

10 minutes ago, DHLuCruise said:

Folks. Talk me off the cliff here. What are the chances of the US introducing border closures again? For us driving to our cruiseports that would be pretty devastating. I know nobody is the oracle here. I figured there would be some whispers out by now if this was something to happen. (We leave on Wednesday the 22nd of Dec)

If you are driving to your cruise port you are in a much better position then if you are flying.

Now if they close the U.S. border then yeah your'e stuck. but we'd all be stuck.

You can drive back no matter what.

You'd have your own car, and packed for the weather.

• Like 1

I’m right out there on the ledge with you, although I don’t leave for another 3 weeks. 

I really don’t think air travel will be restricted further. Omicron is already pervasive in the country and everything possible is being done to keep additional cases out by requiring vaccinations and negative Covid tests prior to entry. 

If Canada decides to further restrict entry at the land borders, I believe they will need to give sufficient notice for residents to return should they choose to do so. 

But my crystal ball broke last week and delivery of my new one has been delayed due to the Christmas rush 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

If Canada decides to further restrict entry at the land borders, I believe they will need to give sufficient notice for residents to return should they choose to do so. 

Yeah given I leave for the US wednesday by car, chances of getting locked out are low. As a Canadian i will be allowed to return.

Logically speaking, it would be unlikely they do anything during the holiday season .

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

I really don’t think air travel will be restricted further. Omicron is already pervasive in the country and everything possible is being done to keep additional cases out by requiring vaccinations and negative Covid tests prior to entry. 

Also, this! Why shut the border now at all? The cows are out of the barn.

• Like 4

I agree, all this uncertainty is so stressful. We are flying From Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on Friday and cruise from Miami on the 26th for a B2B. Trying to decide between going as planned, drive instead of fly, or cancel. Feel like driving would probably be the safest option. Then there’s the worry of counting on everyone in my family (4 of us) testing negative for the flight, for the cruise, in between the B2B, and again at the end of the cruise before flying home. Just taking it day by day, but not much time left to make up our minds. Doing so much reading of the news, I keep swinging between feeling optimistic and discouraged, wish I had a crystal ball!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

I agree, all this uncertainty is so stressful. We are flying From Montreal to Fort Lauderdale on Friday and cruise from Miami on the 26th for a B2B. Trying to decide between going as planned, drive instead of fly, or cancel. Feel like driving would probably be the safest option. Then there’s the worry of counting on everyone in my family (4 of us) testing negative for the flight, for the cruise, in between the B2B, and again at the end of the cruise before flying home. Just taking it day by day, but not much time left to make up our minds. Doing so much reading of the news, I keep swinging between feeling optimistic and discouraged, wish I had a crystal ball!

We are hedging as best we can by driving to NJ. We leave Wed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, karebare22 said:

One other thing to think about is to try to get your test done in Canada so that it covers your cruise as well.  You can take a test on the 24th and you will not need another to get on the ship.   The risk is that if you test once you get to florida, then you will be in limbo for the cruise.   I dont think it is clear what the cruiselines are doing if you test positive before the cruise, if you are in florida.   Most will refund you the cruise fees, but you will need to quarantine before going back to Canada.   I do not believe they will cover those costs.

So if you take the test in Canada and you test positive on the cruise, most of the major cruiselines are committing to covering you quarantine period if necessary and getting you back home.  To me this is a lower risk of driving.

If you find the crystal ball, please let us all know!  🙂

• Like 1

We are right there, on that cliff, with you! We are scheduled to fly to San Diego on the 29th, and sail out Jan. 2. We have been looking forward to this for so long, but the knot in my stomach is getting bigger with every news report. We will need to test here, to fly to the US, test in SD  to board the ship, and then test on the pier when we disembark. Who knows what will happen by the time we reach Fort Lauderdale on Jan. 16? 
please let me know if you find that crystal ball!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, tert333 said:

One other thing to think about is to try to get your test done in Canada so that it covers your cruise as well.  You can take a test on the 24th and you will not need another to get on the ship.   The risk is that if you test once you get to florida, then you will be in limbo for the cruise.   I dont think it is clear what the cruiselines are doing if you test positive before the cruise, if you are in florida.   Most will refund you the cruise fees, but you will need to quarantine before going back to Canada.   I do not believe they will cover those costs.

So if you take the test in Canada and you test positive on the cruise, most of the major cruiselines are committing to covering you quarantine period if necessary and getting you back home.  To me this is a lower risk of driving.

If you find the crystal ball, please let us all know!  🙂

Agreed, very good points. It would have been better to test here in Canada before the flight, but we fly at 6:45am on the 24th, so very early airport testing would be our only option. If there’s availability, I may look at changing to a later flight. I’m just happy that I was able to secure our antigen test appointments - the 4 of us have 4 different times in different locations around Ottawa 😏 I don’t have a problem with doing the testing, but that part of the planning has been challenging. 

• Like 1

OP I think you are ok for this week.  So far !! 

We are booked to cruise Jan 19.   I'm honestly expecting that mid Jan when the holiday gathering covid numbers skyrocket, the restrictions will tighten and the border will close.  At that point we'll cancel and all the Princess policies and insurance will be invoked.  We have one free change with Air Canada so ...?

We booked this end of October, knowing then we'd need some sort of testing.  
We knew testing was an issue.

We knew testing on the weekend was dicey. 
So we selected a cruise that leaves on Wednesday, so we can fly Tuesday after testing Monday, thus hopefully avoiding some possible issues.  

Coming home, we knew we need testing.   Currently, Princess offers it at the port, after you disembark and get luggage.  Hopefully that stays.  We anticipate long lines and test return delays.  So, for the first time we booked a hotel and fly home the next day.  If there is no longer port testing, we'll get it nearby, but we have time. 

Even will all our planning around timing and delays, I'm expecting something to mess up.  

Enjoy your trip!

5 hours ago, karebare22 said:

Agreed, very good points. It would have been better to test here in Canada before the flight, but we fly at 6:45am on the 24th, so very early airport testing would be our only option. If there’s availability, I may look at changing to a later flight. I’m just happy that I was able to secure our antigen test appointments - the 4 of us have 4 different times in different locations around Ottawa 😏 I don’t have a problem with doing the testing, but that part of the planning has been challenging. 

I'm in Ottawa as well.

You weren't able to get appointments at the same place?

Rexall and Shoppers allows you to book up to 6 people at the same time.

If I read your info correctly you need the test on the 23rd right?

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I'm in Ottawa as well.

You weren't able to get appointments at the same place?

Rexall and Shoppers allows you to book up to 6 people at the same time.

If I read your info correctly you need the test on the 23rd right?

I booked at Costco and Walmart, which only allow booking for 1 person per time slot…more inconvenient but half the cost of Shoppers. My fault, I was on the late side for booking appointments. We will try going to the first appointment all together and see if they will take all 4 of us. Testing on the 23rd since we fly the 24th. I’m going to have a rapid test tomorrow at my workplace as well to ease my mind, and will test my daughter as well (works in a restaurant and grocery store, and went “clubbing” last week for her 19th bday…she’s our biggest concern for Covid 😬)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

I booked at Costco and Walmart, which only allow booking for 1 person per time slot…more inconvenient but half the cost of Shoppers. My fault, I was on the late side for booking appointments. We will try going to the first appointment all together and see if they will take all 4 of us. Testing on the 23rd since we fly the 24th. I’m going to have a rapid test tomorrow at my workplace as well to ease my mind, and will test my daughter as well (works in a restaurant and grocery store, and went “clubbing” last week for her 19th bday…she’s our biggest concern for Covid 😬)

Glad you have everything planned out.

We have to test on Christmas Day.. fun fun. Luckily the Shoppers on Merivale Road is open that day.

• Like 1

Our sailing is set for Jan 20, FP was yesterday.  We decided to push forward.  Assuming there are no more restrictive border measures we will still plan on going.  Speculating on what could happen to borders is a zero sum game.  Truth is no one has any clue.  I personally don't feel as though land crossings will change that much if at all.  Now that is just 'my' own personal feeling and I feel as though based on many factors.  Air travel on the other hand I do believe could become even more restrictive.  

• Like 1