Trying to figure out our day as newbies!

stephfranklin08

We are first time cruisers on Royal Caribbean, and will be in Cozumel the first week in January. We have booked an excursion to Playa Del Mia, which is in the middle of the day, and about 4 hours long.  My question is what is accessible for shopping at the beginning and end of the day? Is there shopping close to the port, or will we need to plan on a Taxi? Is there shopping close to Playa Del Mia, and if so, can we just not ride back with the tour, do our shopping, and then catch a cab back? Or is it possible to do our shopping at the beginning of the day, and meet up with our tour at the beach club?  As a newbie, I'm just not sure how all of this works, or how to make the most of our time in Cozumel. TIA!

I should also add that our party is 2 adults, as well as a 13y/o and 11 y/o.  We are all fully vaccinated. 

Edited by stephfranklin08

19 hours ago, stephfranklin08 said:

We are first time cruisers on Royal Caribbean, and will be in Cozumel the first week in January. We have booked an excursion to Playa Del Mia, which is in the middle of the day, and about 4 hours long.  My question is what is accessible for shopping at the beginning and end of the day? Is there shopping close to the port, or will we need to plan on a Taxi? Is there shopping close to Playa Del Mia, and if so, can we just not ride back with the tour, do our shopping, and then catch a cab back? Or is it possible to do our shopping at the beginning of the day, and meet up with our tour at the beach club?  As a newbie, I'm just not sure how all of this works, or how to make the most of our time in Cozumel. TIA!

I should also add that our party is 2 adults, as well as a 13y/o and 11 y/o.  We are all fully vaccinated. 

Do you mean Playa Mia beach club on the island? (I presume you don’t mean Plays del Carmen, on the mainland?) Playa Mia used to be called Playa del Sol.

You will most likely dock at International Pier with Royal and depending on what you are looking for there is shopping at the terminal, across the road at Royal Village (although I don’t know how much has reopened there yet) or to the right across the road a flea market opposite Puerta Maya (carnival pier). You can see all these on google maps and even do a virtual walk.

Don’t forget to take note of ship time (keep a watch, not cell phone set to ship time, which may/may not be the same as local time) and take note of ALL ABOARD time. If you are docking with one of the large Royal ships Allure/Oasis security to return to the ship is usually conducted on the pier and lines can be long so take this into account if you are shopping after your excursion as you still have to walk the length of the pier after that.