Whittier to Anchorage ?

Mooguy

Will be doing a N. bound Sapphire in July and would like to know the best transfer options to the Anchorage airport. I have a 4:30PM flight out of Anchorage so I think that will leave me with time to get there and was hoping that maybe We could do the train ride if there is enough time.

The only way to do the train, is to purchase the ship train transfer. But the road and rail are exactly the same on this portion. There is contracted cruiseline buses, independent shuttles, one way car rentals also to consider.

Do I purchase the ship train transfer while onboard or call the cruiseline now? Is there a web sight to get more information on this?

Also with a 4:30 departure how tight will time be or will I have any extra time?

Thanks

How far is the airport from the port?

Also, how far is the Denali Star train depot?

We plan on taking the Star down from Denali to get on the cruise.

What are my options in doing this?

Anchorage airport to Whittier is 60 miles, with a tunnel schedule to contend with. The Denali Star goes to the downtown rr depot. You can take the train to Whittier, cruiseline bus, independent shuttle, one way rental car.

Our flight doesn't leave out of Anchorage until after 9 P.M., so we have booked a minivan in Whittier. Because it is a one-way rental, it is costing us $300, BUT we are sharing the cost with another couple, and won't have to worry about where to store our luggage for the day, and will have plenty of time to drive around and explore the area. It sure beats hanging around an airport all afternoon waiting for our flight to take off. Been there, done that before!

Our flight departs at 4:30PM and I was hoping that would give us a little time to look around. I could have taken an earlier flight and just had a longer layover in SEA. I don't know how much extra time I will have and then there is the luggage to deal with too.

We are using Leopard Tours to get from Whittier to Anchorage. Our flight is at 4:30 as well. They pick you up at 9:45 and drop you off at the airport at 1:45. So not to long a wait at the airport. They were very nice on the phone. Here's the link to the web site.

www.alaskanleopard.com

Book quickly. They only had 6 seats left for our return in May.

I am guessing they must give you some kind of tour or stop along the way?

We are using Leopard Tours to get from Whittier to Anchorage. Our flight is at 4:30 as well. They pick you up at 9:45 and drop you off at the airport at 1:45. So not to long a wait at the airport. They were very nice on the phone. Here's the link to the web site.

www.alaskanleopard.com

Book quickly. They only had 6 seats left for our return in May.

Ok one more quick ? how do you already know you will be sailing on the Freedom 4/29/07 I did not even know they had the schedule out yet?

Thanks

We don't. There is a thread on the Carnival board for people who want to go on this cruise when she starts sailing from the US. As of right now we don't know where the Freedom will sail from or what itinerary she will sail. It's mostly just a roll call thread for people who have issues.;) But really a roll cal thread for people expressing interest in going on this cruise when it is announced. Check us out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=266296

I will check it out.

I think the Leopard Tours option will be our best choice. I was starting to think that I was going to be spending the day in the Anchorage airport.

QUOTE=TamaLee]We don't. There is a thread on the Carnival board for people who want to go on this cruise when she starts sailing from the US. As of right now we don't know where the Freedom will sail from or what itinerary she will sail. It's mostly just a roll call thread for people who have issues.;) But really a roll cal thread for people expressing interest in going on this cruise when it is announced. Check us out.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=266296

You might want to consider The Magic Bus as an alternative to Leopard.

We used them last summer and were very pleased. Tim is a great guy - give him a call.

http://www.themagicbus.com/

I have already put a deposit down on the Leopard bus but I will look at what Magic Bus has to offer. I was really looking for something that would offer a little more then just transportation to the airports and Leopard has what seems to be a nice package put together.

We were a group of 6 adults.

Magic Bus picked us up dock side at about 9 AM.

We went to Portage Glacier, and the animal preserve.

Then we drove to Anchorage, stopped off for lunch, got a tour of Anchorage, dropped off our bags at out hotel near the airport, checked in, and then Tasha, or driver / guide dropped us off back downtown at the Saturday market (at out request) around 2:30 or 3 PM.

It cost our group less than the Princess transfers would have cost.

Just to clarify -

We pre-arranged to have their services from pick up to about 2:30 or 3 PM, including transport to our Anchorage motel.

We planned our "day tour" while waiting for the tunnel to open.

Tasha was a great guide, provided lots of great ideas, and we very much enjoyed the day. :)

Archived