San Juan turning away ships

jnicktem

Just saw that the Symphony of the Seas has been turned away. It looks like San Juan has new entry requirements. Does anyone know any more info?

https://www.cruisehive.com/puerto-rico-implements-strict-requirements-symphony-of-the-seas-denied/62626?fbclid=IwAR1XchIP29JHoVZtmBWHaGAOegJ2air5k6xIw6qBBJ5kofCLtrpA6QlxJK8

2 hours ago, jnicktem said:

Just saw that the Symphony of the Seas has been turned away. It looks like San Juan has new entry requirements. Does anyone know any more info?

https://www.cruisehive.com/puerto-rico-implements-strict-requirements-symphony-of-the-seas-denied/62626?fbclid=IwAR1XchIP29JHoVZtmBWHaGAOegJ2air5k6xIw6qBBJ5kofCLtrpA6QlxJK8

I was just about to post on this. The Puerto Rico Health Department is extending the 48 hour testing requirements it had issued for air travel to sea arrivals. Edict issued today.

22 hours ago, tryan70 said:

how will this impact cruises that start and end in Puerto Rico?

I would love to know this as well since I'm on Explorer of the seas at the moment due back in San Juan next Sunday.. nothing has been mentioned onboard..

2 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

I would love to know this as well since I'm on Explorer of the seas at the moment due back in San Juan next Sunday.. nothing has been mentioned onboard..

According to the Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company/Authority - and not RCI - the ship will be asked to segregate Puerto Rico residents, those going straight to the airport for a flight home, and those non-residents who plan to stay in Puerto Rico post cruise. Residents will be asked to get tested within 48 hours of debarkation. Non-residents who plan to stay on island will have to get tested before they are allowed to disembark. And those flying home can just go.

This is the Spanish language news source: https://www.elnuevodia.com/negocios/turismo/notas/turismo-confia-en-que-las-restricciones-a-los-cruceros-seran-temporeras/

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

According to the Director of the Puerto Rico Tourism Company/Authority - and not RCI - the ship will be asked to segregate Puerto Rico residents, those going straight to the airport for a flight home, and those non-residents who plan to stay in Puerto Rico post cruise. Residents will be asked to get tested within 48 hours of debarkation. Non-residents who plan to stay on island will have to get tested before they are allowed to disembark. And those flying home can just go.

This is the Spanish language news source: https://www.elnuevodia.com/negocios/turismo/notas/turismo-confia-en-que-las-restricciones-a-los-cruceros-seran-temporeras/

Thanks so much for the info.... This has the cogs turning in my head that maybe we should be changing our flight to go straight home Sunday instead of taking the chance on testing and going through with our two nights in old San Juan post cruise.... Last thing we need is a positive test and being quarantined in Puerto Rico.... Will you please keep us updated if you hear anything else regarding this? There has been no mention of anything onboard so far.. thanks so much for keeping us up to date with the ever changing protocols.

4 minutes ago, zpdw484 said:

Thanks so much for the info.... This has the cogs turning in my head that maybe we should be changing our flight to go straight home Sunday instead of taking the chance on testing and going through with our two nights in old San Juan post cruise.... Last thing we need is a positive test and being quarantined in Puerto Rico.... Will you please keep us updated if you hear anything else regarding this? There has been no mention of anything onboard so far.. thanks so much for keeping us up to date with the ever changing protocols.

In the meantime, and since you sailed, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival have cancelled all their port calls to San Juan for this week and next. 

2 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

In the meantime, and since you sailed, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity and Carnival have cancelled all their port calls to San Juan for this week and next. 

Definitely does not look good for this coming weekend.. I just wish they would let us know what's going on sooner rather than later.. although I know that is hard to do in the age of covid.. With enough time hotels can be cancelled and flights can be changed... But not so much last minute.. thanks again for keeping us updated

10 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

Definitely does not look good for this coming weekend.. I just wish they would let us know what's going on sooner rather than later.. although I know that is hard to do in the age of covid.. With enough time hotels can be cancelled and flights can be changed... But not so much last minute.. thanks again for keeping us updated

The Regent Seven Seas Splendor also canceled her Port Call in San Juan tomorrow.

10 minutes ago, swanee4 said:

Thanks for all of your information. Would you know if we need a test leaving ship to fly back to US since we’ve visited (hopefully) foreign ports.

I believe the US requirement is for air travel. Once you're in Puerto Rico and cleared by the local authorities, you're free to travel back to the mainland.

14 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

Update: Non-Puerto Rico residents who stay post cruise need a test within 48 hours of sea arrivals. No one will be detained onboard. Those going straight to the airport after the cruise do not need to get tested prior to disembarkation.

Spanish language news source: https://www.elvocero.com/noticia_rotary/article_02d5dfe0-68b6-11ec-8367-8bbcac22779a.html

16 minutes ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

Update: Non-Puerto Rico residents who stay post cruise need a test within 48 hours of sea arrivals. No one will be detained onboard. Those going straight to the airport after the cruise do not need to get tested prior to disembarkation.

Spanish language news source: https://www.elvocero.com/noticia_rotary/article_02d5dfe0-68b6-11ec-8367-8bbcac22779a.html

Thank you for this... Still awaiting any word for m the ship about this change in protocol. Weighing our options... Flight change is going to be super expensive.. guess we have a day or two to figure it out.. maybe we will just take the chance on testing...

This has probably been the most helpful post I have seen about Explorer of the Seas and how the new PR testing requirements have impacts. We are due to go out on Explorer on Jan 16th, but are really wondering if it is worth the risk of testing positive and getting stuck some where. Appreciate all the continued updates at see @zpdw484!

6 hours ago, Splake said:

This has probably been the most helpful post I have seen about Explorer of the Seas and how the new PR testing requirements have impacts. We are due to go out on Explorer on Jan 16th, but are really wondering if it is worth the risk of testing positive and getting stuck some where. Appreciate all the continued updates at see @zpdw484!

Honestly at this point we wish I had just stayed home.. you also need to read the thread on the royal board from the passenger from last week's sailing that tested positive and is quarantined in San Juan at the moment

10 hours ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

I looked at the news article and had Google translate it and this stuck out to me. Does this indicate that the changes won't immediately take effect and we may be ok this coming Sunday as far as having to go directly to airport to fly home or get tested within 48 hrs of debarkation in order to stay on the island for a couple days post cruise?

"Given this, the executive director of the APPR, Joel Pizá Batiz indicated that it has been agreed that home port operations will continue to be carried out with the existing protocols until January 16, 2022."

24 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Aviator of the  Seas,  hearing that PR has 25% positive test rate, which is one reason the port has been cancelled as a port of call for cruise ships not home ported there.   Is this true?

Partially true. The cruise lines are cancelling port calls not because the positivity rate, but because the local government imposed a last minute change in protocols. That is, those on port calls needed a 48hour test in order to disembark and sightsee.

The positivity rate is another matter. A week ago not many people were being tested here. When the omicron panic began, there was a rush to get tested, so of THOSE TESTED, 25-30% are coming up positive OR probable. Just like what's happening in the states and elsewhere.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

I looked at the news article and had Google translate it and this stuck out to me. Does this indicate that the changes won't immediately take effect and we may be ok this coming Sunday as far as having to go directly to airport to fly home or get tested within 48 hrs of debarkation in order to stay on the island for a couple days post cruise?

"Given this, the executive director of the APPR, Joel Pizá Batiz indicated that it has been agreed that home port operations will continue to be carried out with the existing protocols until January 16, 2022."

That's what it sounds like.

1 hour ago, Aviator of the Seas said:

That's what it sounds like.

Thank you for your continued updates.. can you tell me how things are in San Juan at the moment? We were in condado one night before boarding explorer this past week and everything seemed open and pretty well functional.  Wondering what we will encounter in old San Juan for a couple days if we go through with it... Last thing we want is to be a "nuisance" to the locals and everything kinda be closed down due to the covid changes this week.

2 hours ago, zpdw484 said:

Thank you for your continued updates.. can you tell me how things are in San Juan at the moment? We were in condado one night before boarding explorer this past week and everything seemed open and pretty well functional.  Wondering what we will encounter in old San Juan for a couple days if we go through with it... Last thing we want is to be a "nuisance" to the locals and everything kinda be closed down due to the covid changes this week.

Restaurant capacity has been reduced to 50% so it might be harder to get a table. Other than that, no, you won't be a nuisance if you respect the indoor mask rules. Most people here are adamant about such things.

• Thanks 2

On 12/29/2021 at 8:18 PM, zpdw484 said:

@Aviator of the Seas  If you hear anything more related to the above only being until 16 Jan, Please post.  We are supposed to arrive 21 Jan and embark on 23 Jan for a B2B on Explorer