Disembarking in Panama, they require negative COVID test

Our January 22 Sirena sailing ends in Panama.  What happens if we test positive for COVID with Omicron it’s inevitable that there will be positives cases on the ship.  Panama requires a negative PCR within 72 hours to disembark.  Does anyone know if O has contingency plans to get people home?  No one seems to have any idea at the call center and my TA can’t get any straight answers.

1 hour ago, the more ports the better said:

Our January 22 Sirena sailing ends in Panama.  What happens if we test positive for COVID with Omicron it’s inevitable that there will be positives cases on the ship.  Panama requires a negative PCR within 72 hours to disembark.  Does anyone know if O has contingency plans to get people home?  No one seems to have any idea at the call center and my TA can’t get any straight answers.

Your question is clearly answered in the Oceania SailSafe FAQs.

29 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Flatbush, can you point it out.  I would greatly appreciate it.  I have read through everything but still cannot find anything regarding to not being permitted to disembark at the end of the sailing if you test positive.  Thanks

From the 12/20/21 FAQs: (part of the CDC reqts for restart requires land quarantine arrangements):

If a guest tests positive for COVID-19 while on board, what costs are covered?
Complimentary onboard medical consultations and treatments are provided for covid-19 related illness. If a guest follows health and safety protocols and tests positive during their cruise, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine, and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back home.
The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.
If one person in our party tests positive, will we all be denied boarding? Will the company assist with travel arrangements?
If one person in the party tests positive for COVID-19, immediate family members, those traveling in the same accommodations as the guest who tested positive and those identified as a close contact will be denied boarding.
If you are denied boarding due to a positive COVID-19 test at embarkation, the cruise line will coordinate and cover costs for travel arrangements, for that guest and those traveling with them if they are also denied boarding. The cruise line will not be able to assist with travel arrangements if a
guest is denied boarding as a result of a violating the cruise line’s health and safety protocols.
If I test positive for COVID-19 during a cruise and have to quarantine, will I receive a full refund?
Guests who test positive for COVID-19 during their cruise and are required to quarantine will receive a pro-rated cash refund or a pro-rated Future Cruise Credit. If a guest followed all of the cruise line’s health and safety protocols, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back to their home. Complimentary onboard medical consultations and treatments are provided for respiratory illnesses as well as dedicated isolation accommodations should the need arise. If a guest follows health and safety protocols and tests positive during their cruise, the Cruise Line will coordinate necessary onboard COVID-19 related medical treatment, required land-based quarantine, and travel arrangements to get the guest safely back home. The cruise line will cover all costs incurred for shoreside treatment, quarantine, and transportation that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied. We will also cover the same costs, that are not covered by the guests’ travel insurance or should a claim be denied, for identified close contacts if they are required to quarantine on board or are removed or denied re-boarding due to being in close contact to a guest who tests positive.
All refund requests must be made within three months of the date they canceled their voyage or the scheduled embarkation date, whichever is earlier, or they will be entitled to a Future Cruise Credit for the amount specified. To apply for a refund guests should contact Guest Relations.

Thanks, that’s what I saw too, it covers costs but it doesn’t address what happens if we are denied entry and cannot disembark post cruise.  Normally, I would go with the flow if I was stuck on the ship post sailing but I’m having a multi level spinal fusion 8 days post sailing.  My neurosurgeon agreed to let me wait until after this vacation before having surgery and an unpleasant recovery and rehab.  Unfortunately, things have changed dramatically in the last few weeks and I could very well be significantly delayed getting home if I cannot disembark in Panama.

19 minutes ago, the more ports the better said:

Thanks, that’s what I saw too, it covers costs but it doesn’t address what happens if we are denied entry and cannot disembark post cruise.  Normally, I would go with the flow if I was stuck on the ship post sailing but I’m having a multi level spinal fusion 8 days post sailing.  My neurosurgeon agreed to let me wait until after this vacation before having surgery and an unpleasant recovery and rehab.  Unfortunately, things have changed dramatically in the last few weeks and I could very well be significantly delayed getting home if I cannot disembark in Panama.

It looks like you’re concerned about the Princess cruise fiasco of last year (HAL too) where the passengers were stuck onboard. Though that scenario is remotely possible, one of the main dictates of the CDC original Conditional Sail Order was that land quarantine arrangements had to be secured for visited ports (which would include the “start/stop” ones). 
One would assume, the plan for Panama and every other port stop exists (with agreement of their governments). One would also assume that, if Panama changed its mind (doubtful if it wants to keep being a cruise destination), O would make good on its promise to get you home in which case, something like MedJet Assist would be used. (BTW, we have [and suggest] a Med Jet Assist annual subscription).

Though I’ll still say “don’t worry,” let me point out that if you contract Covid while on the cruise, every attempt will be made to disembark you ASAP - probably somewhere prior to Panama.