Need advice on excursion timing

Wisconsin Travelers

After thorough research on this board and lots of rave reviews, we decided to use Antigua Paddles for our excursion. But instead of their usual morning and afternoon trips, Paddles is only offering one trip the day we're in port. It returns us to our ship at 4:45 p.m. and we are scheduled to leave the port at 6:00 p.m. Jennie at Paddles assures me that they are very conscious of timing, but I'd like to hear from experienced cruisers on this issue before I book - do we really have enough time or will I end up kicking myself around the block before paying for a flight to St. Maarten, our next port?!!! Would you take this excursion, or would you find something else to do?

Thanks so much for your input - this is our first cruise and if I don't get this right, it might be our last!!

We have also been hoping to book an excursion with Paddles of Angigua. We're booked on an island tour in the morning that is due to get back at 11.30, but Paddles afternoon tour leaves at 12.15 at the latest! Will this be enough time to have a drink and bite to eat on the ship before setting off for several hours. We don't get back to the ship til 4.45. Our feeling is that this will be a real rush. What do you expert cruisers think? HELP! :confused:

We really like the sound of this tour, but don't want to be stressed out trying to make it. Is there another similar trip that doesn't leave til later? :rolleyes:

Hi Martin and Lindsey. Are you on the Golden Princess too?

I posted my question on several boards and it looks like I'm in good shape, so I'm signing up with Paddles. Regarding your question about enough time between excursions - maybe this is one of those instances where you need to get creative. I've read lots of helpful tips on CC and here's what I would do:

You know those ziploc bags everyone says to bring on your trip? Well, the day before Antigua go to the buffet and get a couple of sandwiches and pop them into one of those ziplocs and keep them in your frig until the next day. And maybe put some cookies in another ziploc. I'm sure you could find a nice spot to relax between the 2 excursions and pick up beverages and chips, and voila - you have a nice little picnic lunch while you're waiting to come on the paddling trip.

I don't know just how big these room refrigerators are, but assuming they have a small freezer compartment, you could also pick up a can of tropical juice ahead of time and freeze it. Now you have an instant "blue ice" to keep your Antigua picnic cool while you are sightseeing in the morning!

If the "blue ice" idea won't work, just be sure not to put mayo on those sandwiches because they really do need to be refrigerated so you don't get food poisoning.

Hope this helps you decide. Jennie at Paddles said she had another Golden Princess couple already booked on this excursion (which, incidentally, seems to be primarily for Celebrity Millenium passengers who arrive in port at 10:00 a.m.).

No we are not on the Golden Princess, but the Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks for advice on fitting in something to eat between tours. My dh is not sure he wants to smuggle food out of the dining room (is this allowed?). Also what are the chances of our morning tour getting back later than the scheduled time of 11.30, due to traffic jams etc? That would make our turn around time even tighter. We would hate to miss the Antigua Paddles tour because they had to leave. Not sure if we should just find another tour :( - but I did love the sound of this one.

Any other experienced cruisers out there with advice? :)

No we are not on the Golden Princess, but the Serenade of the Seas.

Thanks for advice on fitting in something to eat between tours. My dh is not sure he wants to smuggle food out of the dining room (is this allowed?). Also what are the chances of our morning tour getting back later than the scheduled time of 11.30, due to traffic jams etc? That would make our turn around time even tighter. We would hate to miss the Antigua Paddles tour because they had to leave. Not sure if we should just find another tour :( - but I did love the sound of this one.

Any other experienced cruisers out there with advice? :)

Martin and Lindsey - I believe you can also order a packed lunch from room service so you might want to check into that. It seems like you might be pressed for time with your 45 minutes. I guess everything just depends on what time you get back, how long it takes you to reboard the ship and then were are you being picked up for Paddles.......You will love the Serenade we just were on the end of November beginning of December and this was my favorite route!! Enjoy!

Wisconsin travelers when are you on the Golden . We're going the week of April 15th sounds like we may be on the same trip. We wanted the morning trip but told they had a large group of Germans in the morning. So we opted to do the afternoon with a group from Millinium. Glad to know we may not be the only group from the Golden.

Archived