In the event of a cruise to no where?!?

Spence32

New cruiser. Scheduled to leave Jan 14th on Silhouette. Still excited but have a question. I am aware that an itinerary can change at the discretion of the cruise line/ports. I’ve seen a few ships lose one port and gain another. However, what would happen if majority of ports close / or not accept ships and for them to not be replaced? Would the cruise issue prorated FCC? (I’ve heard and read these next few weeks could get worse in terms of spread with Omicron - just weighing options)

From what I’ve read, it seems St Marteen, St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua are open for business. I did see that St Kitts recently turned a ship away. 

There is no definitive answer to your question. Each cruise has been handled differently. Sometimes there has been a substitution of ports, sometimes a port is missed and there’s just a sea day , different compensations have accrued and sometimes there has been no compensation.

But you bring up an interesting point, what if every single port turned the ship away and no substitution could be made. It would in essence be a “cruise to nowhere “.   Now under the current US laws, the ship cannot schedule a “cruise to nowhere”. But having one imposed upon it, that might be a different story. It hasn’t happened yet, and maybe it never will so perhaps we’ll never know

Good point.  The only compensation you would be owed is if port charges and taxes for the stops your cruise makes are less than you paid.

There actually have been cruises that ended early because of mechanical problems, weather or health.  Those events supercede the cruise foreign port requirement.  

• Like 1