NCL no longer offering onboard PCR testing for return flight to Canada

Renews

1 minute ago, Middleager said:

When we got off Getaway on Dec. 22, we went to get PCR tests at Walgreen, 3pm.  On Dec. 24, at 5pm, the results didn't come back.  We had to go pay US$175/p to get rapid PCR test at the Miami airport, for our 8:35pm flight back to Toronto.

In recent days, all the Covid test appointments are booked up many days out.  Sometimes if you check as soon as the appointments open up (a week out), you may be able to book.  But for PCR tests, don't expect them to come back within 2 days.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Canadians returning home from the US have it stuck in their heads that they need a PCR test, which often times has a longer turn around time especially now with the Omicron madness.

The reality is that ANY molecular test (PCR, NAAT, RT-LAMP) is acceptable whereby the Rapid ID NOW test offered by Walgreens is a NAAT test and often comes back in less than 24hrs; however, like everything its always a good plan to have a back up plan (i.e. multiple test options if time permits)

• Like 1

You need to select the NAAT test on the Walgreens booking site, not PCR. NAAT is the rapid pcr test which is accepted by Canada and done onsite at Walgreens vs sending to a lab with the PCR. 

Anyways back on topic with NCL, seems like international travels are not really contributing enough to their bottom line to continue offering free testing, US market is still the dominate travel market for cruising and they don’t require testing to disembark.

57 minutes ago, Captain_Morgan said:

Unfortunately, the vast majority of Canadians returning home from the US have it stuck in their heads that they need a PCR test, which often times has a longer turn around time especially now with the Omicron madness.

The reality is that ANY molecular test (PCR, NAAT, RT-LAMP) is acceptable whereby the Rapid ID NOW test offered by Walgreens is a NAAT test and often comes back in less than 24hrs; however, like everything its always a good plan to have a back up plan (i.e. multiple test options if time permits)

In the days leading up to X-mas and new years, the labs were overwhelmed.  Most tests did not come back for days.

Not only that, most places did NOT have any appointments available.  People needed to be online just almost as soon as the appointment slots were open, and book right away.

If you had tried to make any bookings, you'd see that.

On Dec. 22, we did actually make 2 bookings at 2 different Walgreens.  On arrival at one of them, the pharmacy was closed.  No reason, just closed, despite we getting a reminder email just hours before.

1 hour ago, Middleager said:

In the days leading up to X-mas and new years, the labs were overwhelmed.  Most tests did not come back for days.

Not only that, most places did NOT have any appointments available.  People needed to be online just almost as soon as the appointment slots were open, and book right away.

If you had tried to make any bookings, you'd see that.

On Dec. 22, we did actually make 2 bookings at 2 different Walgreens.  On arrival at one of them, the pharmacy was closed.  No reason, just closed, despite we getting a reminder email just hours before.

After we arrived at the airport in Vancouver Canada we were given a home test kit to be completed within 24 hours. The test had to be monitored online. We could not make an appointment until the next day as they were so busy.  

2 hours ago, armwinder said:

After we arrived at the airport in Vancouver Canada we were given a home test kit to be completed within 24 hours. The test had to be monitored online. We could not make an appointment until the next day as they were so busy.  

Yes, after arrival in Canada, some people were tested right at the airport, some people were not tested, and some like you were given a test kit to take.

In Toronto, just after X-mas my children went to a PCR testing clinic (after son's girlfriend became sick).  After lining up for 4 hours, a doctor came out to tell everyone to go.  That day the government announced (was supposed to be effective the next day, but the texts got to the clinic and they made it effective right away) the PCR tests would be only for restricted groups, frontline workers, nursing home, etc.   They said if you have symptoms, assume you have Covid.  Go home and isolate.

ON was handing out antigen test kits in some places.  Another relative said he went to line up at 6am for the place opening up at 7am.  That place started to hand out at 6:40am, and a few minutes after 7am they were all out.  LCBO (liquor stores) were handing out single test kits but they were also out very quickly (some people were selling on kijiji)   Basically the whole province was short of test kits, and the labs were overwhelmed, backlogged.  That was why ON started to restrict testing.  Since then, the Covid numbers have not been reliable.  The media began to say "yesterday, at least xx,xxx cases..."  

For many days, even Walmart, Rexall, Costco, all were out of antigen test kits and no (paid) appointments available.  Only a few days into the new year did places began to get re-stock supplies and began to offer appointments.

I am supposed to be on a transatlantic in April on the Epic.  This makes it very difficult as what testing provider will they have at BCN port on disembarkation and on Easter Sunday no less..... It is like they just focused on the US ports and not on ports for upcoming sailings.  I am fine with paying on board if required.  That at least should be an option to us that have no choice in order to fly home. 

On 1/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, dolfan1980 said:

I took this picture on the Joy on December 10th, was quoting a price for a PCR on the door of the medical center.  Not sure if they're actually offering them (mine was free to fly to Canada on that cruise).  

pcr.jpg

I can't read the price of the PCR test.  Can you please provide it?  Thanks!

I also have the RT-LAMP kit from Switch Health and they work great. I carry a set with me for emergencies as I travel between Canada and US every month. I always book via Walgreens/CVS first and if I can't find one last minute, then I'll use the RT-LAMP kit. My recommendation if you're going to get it is to order early as they are always on backorder and remember to log in via the Aeroplan tab to get a discount.

Walgreen turnaround time is about 6hr and CVS is about 24hr on average. I tested around the Christmas holiday in Florida and didn't experience any delays. If you havn't received anything after 48hr, somethings not right and use your backup plan. Always have a backup plan for covid testing!

My backup to my backup plan is to get tested at the airport or and just pay for it. Honestly, I just see it as a regular cost of travelling these days, just like how they introduced the 911/TSA fees for flying.

We are on Encore now.  Looks like the policy was changed 2-3 days before our Jan 9 embarkation.  Guest services told in the on board PCR machine is broken- sounds like a lie.  And that PCR tests will be available at port starting at 7am after disembarking 

On 1/12/2022 at 5:26 AM, Keata said:

I am supposed to be on a transatlantic in April on the Epic.  This makes it very difficult as what testing provider will they have at BCN port on disembarkation and on Easter Sunday no less..... It is like they just focused on the US ports and not on ports for upcoming sailings.  I am fine with paying on board if required.  That at least should be an option to us that have no choice in order to fly home. 

I am on the same trip and buying one of the Switch Health kits, sounds like they are a good option and I can take it when/where I want to. I'm also going to order their antigen test and use to enter the US and board. Not going to rely on NCL having a test provider on the 17th or providing them on board - too stressful not knowing when to book flights/hotels, etc. on our way home. I figure having the Switch kit will give me some control over things!

4 hours ago, tworoses3 said:

I am on the same trip and buying one of the Switch Health kits, sounds like they are a good option and I can take it when/where I want to. I'm also going to order their antigen test and use to enter the US and board. Not going to rely on NCL having a test provider on the 17th or providing them on board - too stressful not knowing when to book flights/hotels, etc. on our way home. I figure having the Switch kit will give me some control over things!

Totally agree! My research also brought me to Switch Health Labs.  As long as the ship's wifi is good enough for the proctored viewing of the swab, we should be fine. Also nice that if you are an Aeroplan member you get a discounted price & Aeroplan points.  Hope to see you onboard the TA in April!