Upgrade Lesson-Learned the Hard Way!

Well, maybe I am the only one that didn't know this but if I can help one other person avoid this very disappointing situation, I might can feel a little better.

Several months ago I booked our cruise through an online agency on the Carnival Jubilee for May 15th. I carefully chose our cabin, E88, because I was born with a cripple foot and can not walk alot. My choice of the Empress deck was very important to keep the walking to a minimum. Well, a few weeks ago a rep from the online agency called and told my husband that we were entitled to an upgrade to an oceanview cabin!!!! (Actually, I've had both on past cruises and decided that inside would be fine because we are really not in the cabin that much anyway and location of the cabin is the most important factor for me) Well, we took this "upgrade" and with great anticipation and thinking how would anyone in their right mind turn down such a great thing????

With help from a post on this board by TrinaLC I was able to find our "new, great, wonderful, upgraded oceanview" cabin. Well, our new, great, wonderful "upgraded oceanview cabin" is M66. When I first saw that it was on Main Deck, I was concerned but then when I went to the Carnival website and saw where the cabin actually is, I could have cried. I have been soooo excited about this trip and soooo looking forward to it. This cabin is right outside the elevators and stair and very close to the information desk/pursor's desk.

I called the online agency to express my dissappointment, could not communicate with the rep and after explaining the situation and expressing how I did not in any way consider this as an "upgrade", the rep says, "Vell, vhat do you vant me to do about it?"

I told her that I wanted my originally room back (now really, even I know the chances of that at this late date). So, she put me on hold to call the cruiseline to see about my original room. Is it me? or does it seem likely that she actually went for a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette or do her nails?

Well, she comes back and says that that room has already been booked (oh, surprise, surprise) and that the only cabin available on that deck is a gty .

Now, here comes the lesson, finally. Then she explained to me (in a not-so-friendly tone), that we should have asked what cabin we were getting and that we should have never taken the "upgrade" without asking questions and about had me convinced it was all my fault!

Sorry this is so long. I would have never ever thought that an "upgrade" from an inside cabin on the Empress deck would be to a porthole (yes, porthole) cabin on the main deck situated right in the middle of all the noise and confusion. I personally think that cabin would be one of the worst cabins on the entire ship!

Maybe there are 2 lessons learned here. Yes, they are completely right about the word, "assume" and when offered an upgrade, be sure to ask questions.

I'm not looking for sympathy or need a lecture about how I should have known. I got the latter from the agency. I am sure that we will go and have a wonderful time and not let this spoil our trip but the joy and excitement has now been replaced with worriesome anticipation.

I sincerely hope that I have kept anyone else from dealing with this.

Thanks for bearing with me and listening to my situation.

Thank you! Now we know what to look at when given an "upgrade". I was on the Sensation and had inside cabin M72. It was just close enought to the stairs elevator and quite. I loved that cabin. Hope you have a great time. Let us know how the cabin is.

Next time on the Sensation

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ffff&cdt=2005;3;12;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Cantwait: Don't fret yet. We also have had cabins close to the elevator and it was not noisey at all. Now, I'm not sure about the pursers desk area. Maybe its a good thing, my DH has medical problems and can't walk far either. We worry about cabin placement also, not too close, not too far. Don't worry about the cabin, think positive, go and have a good time.

Vision of the Seas 11/04

Carnival Spirit 10/03

Ecstasy 12/02

Ecstasy 05/02

Statendam 12/01

Norwegian Wind 12/00

Viking Serenade 09/00

Rhapsody of the Seas 12/99

Holiday 01/98

Nordic Prince 10/94

Viking Serenade 09/93

Song of America 10/92

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> cabin on the main deck situated right in the middle of all the noise and confusion. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm a bit puzzled? What noise and confusion? Sometimes what you think are going to be the quietiest cabins aren't. Noise can come from the most unpredictable places including next door cabins. No floor layout can show that. I have stayed near elevators without a problem. As a matter of fact, I prefer those locations. Your best bet in the future might be to request a handicapped cabin. They are roomier, and not neccessarily near elevators. Not even sure if you would need a doctors note, although most are happy to provide it. One thing for sure, its not worth getting worked up. Cruises are for lowering the blood pressure, not raising it!!! Enjoy and have fun!!!

<html>

<head>

<title></title>

</head>

<body>

<font color="#FF0000">Grand Princess 2-2001</font>

<font color="#0000FF">Grand Princess 12-2001</font>

<font color="#FF8000">Carnival Paradise 3-2002</font>

<font color="#FF00FF">Carnival Destiny 10-2002</font>

<font color="#008000">Golden Princess 10-2003</font>

<font color="#0000A0">Carnival Legend 6-8-2004</font>

dice.gif

</body>

</html>

I think you might be surprised with this cabin. I had a cabin next to the elevator and stairs on the Sensation and the Inspiration and I didn't hear a thing. It was very convenient!

Atom.gif

Sensation.gif

Next Cruises! SENSATION 5/6/04 then MIRACLE 2/13/05!

Triumph, Inspiration, Holiday, Explorer of the Seas, Granduer of the Seas, Glory Hounds I, Conquestadors

I would think that nearer to the elevators would be preferable as far as the walking limitations go... or am I missing something?

I've stayed near elevators without a problem at all. And for me, having portholes this time around was a luxury I loved!!! After 2 inside cabins, it was great to see outside this time.

Lido Deck Linda

dudes.gif

062802jumpie_prv.gif033102food_1_prv.gif062802drink_prv.gif082502cheers_prv.gif

Fantasy 2/6/2000

Victory 3/23/2003

Destiny 4/25/2004

I think you will be surprised by this cabin. The main deck on Holiday class ships is not a busy public deck. The pursor and shor tour desks will be busy during the day but you most likely wont be in your cabin at that time anyway. Your proximity to the elevators should prove to be a benefit with your physical limitations. I doubt you will notice any additional noise.

I hope it works out well for you. Have a great cruise!

Elation 11/2003

Conquest 01/2003

Jubilee 11/2002

Victory 02/2001

Destiny 02/2000

Geotide 11/1992

United States 06/1962

Your new room is not opposite the Purser's lobby, it is just off the elevator lobby. the elevators do not make noise but people using them sometimes do. Since there are no popular bars nearby it is unlikely you will have any rowdys using the elevators by your room.

With the shorter walking distance to the elevators and the porthole, I would say that this is a good upgrade. Forget about the Purser's lobby, it won't be a problem for you.

Dan

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;5;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till 9/5 Paradise Panama Canal

I was going to respond to this by stating exactly what Linda said. I thought it would be more convenient for you to be that close to an elevator.

I'm sorry you are disappointed, but I don't think you are going to dislike that cabin once you are on the ship. Having even a porthole is so much nicer than a dark room.

When you get back, let us know how it was. In the mean time, don't fret over this. It's not a bad thing at all!! icon_cool.gif

I believe in Miracles

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;6;19;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

MIRACLE JUNE 19, 2004

Calm Seas, Good Friends

If it were me, I would be VERY happy with this upgrade! It looks like you are closer to the elevators than you were before, so that should be better for you. I seriously doubt you are going to hear any noise from the Purser's Lobby. We were right down the hall from it on the Sensation, and couldn't hear a thing inside our cabin.

And what makes you think you have a porthole?? I just looked at the deck plans on the Carnival website, and it isn't showing M66 with portholes at all! You should have a nice big window. The only cabins with portholes are the ones all the way forward. Were you told differently by your TA or Carnival?

Beth

~~~~~~~~~~~

Countdown to Glory

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Emerald Seas 6/86

Emerald Seas 11/87

S.S. Royale 10/88

Celebration 6/97

Grandeur of the Seas 6/98

Sensation 6/99

Carnival Triumph 6/00

Carnival Triumph 11/17/01

Enchantment of the Seas 10/27/02

Carnival Victory 5/25/03

Carnival Glory 5/22/04

When you upgrade from an inside to an ocean view it automatically starts back down at the bottom of the ship because this is the lower outsides. Upgrades follow the cat. levels and unless you get a great upgrade when you move from inside to outside you are probably going back down on the ship.

I think the cabin they selected for you will be a good one.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

You upgraded to a 6B oceanview with picture window. It is a great location. The lobby is 5 cabins down from you, the only people coming down that isle are the folks staying down there. It is not a public area. You are on 2nd level, so motion should be less for you. You should have an easier time getting around from where you are. One short elevator ride to your cabin from anywhere onboard. This is a very good location. Please enjoy your cruise. I can't wait to hear a review from you on this location, because my cabin is almost exact same location on the Destiny, and I am looking forward to it.

Blessings 2 U

Miracle Sept 5,2004 7 day

Destiny June 13,2004 7 day

Disney Magic Sept 6,2003 7 day

Spirit Nov.2002 Panama 8 day

Paradise Oct 2002 10 day

Paradise Feb.2000 7 day

Thanks for telling your sitauton and putting this out there for others to read so when they are offered an upgrade they will no what questions to ask..and not to assume . Before accepting an upgrade!!!! Way to help keep ppl informed on the boards!!!!

Have a wonderful cruise!!!!!!

Cyt

Atlantic

Oceanic

Norway

Enchantment of the Seas

Destiny

Voyager of the Seas

Conquest March 30th 2003

Glory May 29th 2004

We also have been close to the elevators and did not notice noise at all. In fact this was a Spring break cruise and the noise we noted was kids running up and down the halls between rooms and keeping the TV on half the night. You will be fine and just have a great time.

Looking at just the deck plan, I can see why you might be concerned about noise from the stairwell or elevators if you've never been near them before.

But that cabin is in a WONDERFUL location, really! And it has a nice big window.

Your E88 was right below the galley, and I bet that you would have heard a lot more noise in that cabin in the middle of the night than you will hear anywhere on Main, with cabins above and below you.

The purser's area is not open to where you are, and the worst thing that you will hear is people coming in from nighttime activities and talking too loudly while going to their cabins.

Being low and forward is great, waking up to the sunshine in the morning is fantastic, and for me, being close to an elevator is ideal (I walk with a cane.) I'd be very thankful that your E88 was already gone when you asked to return to it!

Thanks for letting us know that we could ask questions when being upgraded. Enjoy your cruise... you really lucked out!

Jana

I had this cabin for our first cruise. It was wonderful and has a LARGE square window. Large enough for my petite body to fully sit in. No noise from the elevators, just people going to their cabins, and from our neighbors.

Your gonna love it. Relax and have a great time!

Happy Cruizin'

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.

I guess maybe I have over reacted a bit. My thinking was to be close to the food and merriment!

I have no doubt that we will have a wonderfull time.

Big thanks to all of you and I hope I have enlightened someone.

On one of my Holiday cruises, I had a cabin in the middle of the ship that backed up to an elevator, which caused me concern before the cruise. NO noise whatsoever.

I really do think you have a much better cabin now, and with your disability, you should like being near the elevator. (There is very little noise in the purser's lobby anyway. Folks aren't partying there, just getting info and making inquiries!)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Also, I always like another cabin deck between the deck I am on because of the noice drifting from the party decks. On my last cruise we were right about the main show lounge and we could hear the late seating show. Since I am a heavy sleeper on a cruise and my wife is always a heavy sleeper, it didn't bother us, but may bother light sleeper.

Princess Coral

<applet code="countdown.class" codebase="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0"><param name="year" value="2004">

<param name="month" value="12"><param name="day" value="28">

<param name="hour" value="17"></applet>

• 1 month later...

Luckily, I was proactive on the cruise we are on and avoided this issue. Since we have 7 cabins so far for a family reunion cruise and have some of the best cabins on the ship (Pride, we have 3 of the super extended balcony cabins, 2 aft balconies, and 1 aft corner balcony), I told my travel agent "under no circumstances are you to allow Carnival to give us an upgrade". She thought this amusing, but totally respected my wishes and will hold these cabins for us. (Two sets of the cabins are 3 in a row as well and we can open up the balcony dividers on them).

You can always be proactive with your TA, ie: let me know what the upgrade is before accepting it (like the suggestion in this thread), or let your TA know the only circumstances where one would be accepted (in our case if Carnival wanted to upgrade one of the category 8 cabins to an 11 or 12: that's it, no other upgrades allowed!)

She was very accomodating and I have peace of mind knowing the cabins I have chosen will remain ours.

That having been said, I hope all the posters here are right and the OP will have a great time in this cabin!!!

Brian

Archived