On Board Experience

hacra

11 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Officially perhaps not, but don't know how Ponant would handle this.  My husband has worn black jeans and tan jeans, but not blue I believe, however dark.

Good to know. My preference is dark blue and black jeans a dress shirt in the evenings. Celebrity has no issues. 

On 1/24/2022 at 1:05 PM, MrRandal said:

I'm pretty certain PG has pushed back embarkation to 4 pm from 3 pm. I would imagine it has to do with Covid cleaning protocols. And no, early embarkation has never been permitted as far as I know. It's a small ship, embarkation was rather quick and painless prior to Covid, not sure what to expect now. Perhaps someone who has sailed since Covid restrictions have been in place can answer.

At the time I stated the above, on the PGCruises website, if you clicked on a particular cruise, then clicked on "See Detailed Itinerary" it showed a 4pm Embarkation. I was told yesterday by PGCruises this is a mistake on the website, Embarkation is still 3pm (although the website still says 4pm). This is critical for me if Covid testing protocols stay the same, as the LAX testing site is only open until 7pm local time or 4pm PPT time. We are flying in 2 days before we sail in September, and will attempt to get a 6:30 pm LA time slot for a test, which will satisfy both airline as well as PG testing requirements by 30 minutes. If embarkation was 4pm the LAX site wouldn't work, and I would need to find a 24/7 site in LA, or test again in PPT. I was told PG's 72 hour rule was strictly enforced.

I was also told that Air Tahiti Nui will accept a PCR test done the day before your flight, even though it would almost certainly be over 24 hours if leaving on an 11:55pm flight. However, please check directly with Air Tahiti Nui to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to report back on getting the PCR test in Bora Bora with Dr. Azad.  Our hotel concierge arranged transportation to his office.  We took the test at 3:00PM on Thursday (Dr. Azad had picked the time & day).  He told us he would sent the test to Papeete on Friday morning marking them URGENT. The cost was 15000 XPF per person, cash only.   Everyone but me had their results by 6:00PM on Friday.  The results were also emailed to Dr. Azad.  Friday evening my husband replied to his email results that mine had not come in.  By 6:30AM on Saturday Dr. Azad had emailed me my results.   

• Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, hacra said:

Hello all. I’ve noticed that the board topics and reviews regarding the Paul Gauguin have dried up recently.

We will be taking our 4th PG cruise in April of this year. (hopefully)

Im just wondering if anyone has any recent information on the overall on board experience of what it’s like sailing these days on a smaller ship. So much of a PG cruise is about the comradery of the staff and fellow passengers. We were just wondering about the dinning, piano bar and pool deck areas and what they are now like in these days of social distancing and mask wearing.

Any insights would be most welcome as I have always relied on CC to provide us with reliable information of their experiences on board.

Thanks in advance! 🌴😎🐠

We are sailing PG on March 26th 2022 and doing 2 seven day Tahiti and Society Islands sailings back to back (disembark the ship on April 9th). If Wi-Fi is good onboard I’ll report as we do our first round onboard. 
We’ve done a bit of cruising (mostly Viking) but this is our first time on PG. 
Hoping for a great cruise!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have been on the PG since the 26th of March. Only 90 people on board this leg of our journey. We had an interesting twist to our itinerary. There were to be too many ships in port when we were scheduled to be in Bora Bora so they shifted the whole itinerary from our departure in Huahine. We made and unscheduled stop in Raiatea, which was a bonus island, however that shift is costing us an overnight in Moorea. Now Moorea is a one day stop. We’re glad we are staying onboard for the next leg of the journey. Our whole thought process was driven by the overnights in Bora Bora and Moorea. The 14 day cruise itinerary has no overnights on any islands. 
Weather has been amazing! Just a short cloud burst here and there. Nothing to whine about at all. Food has been superb and the service outstanding. With  crew outnumbering passengers by more than 2:1…. How could this be anything but an amazing cruise with service above and beyond. Loving and savoring every moment of this cruise so far. Love Paul Gauguin!!!

Edited by DonandGary
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, DonandGary said:

We have been on the PG since the 26th of March. Only 90 people on board this leg of our journey. We had an interesting twist to our itinerary. There were to be too many ships in port when we were scheduled to be in Bora Bora so they shifted the whole itinerary from our departure in Huahine. We made and unscheduled stop in Raiatea, which was a bonus island, however that shift is costing us an overnight in Moorea. Now Moorea is a one day stop. We’re glad we are staying onboard for the next leg of the journey. Our whole thought process was driven by the overnights in Bora Bora and Moorea. The 14 day cruise itinerary has no overnights on any islands. 
Weather has been amazing! Just a short cloud burst here and there. Nothing to whine about at all. Food has been superb and the service outstanding. With  crew outnumbering passengers by more than 2:1…. How could this be anything but an amazing cruise with service above and beyond. Loving and savoring every moment of this cruise so far. Love Paul Gauguin!!!

Thank you for the post, I follow the Paul Gauguin via cruise mapper.com and saw the deviation. I also saw the three cruise ships in Bora Bora,  2 Windstar ships and I believe an Oceana ship, together totaling 1300 passengers. I'm sure you are enjoying Bora Bora today and tomorrow without the additional strain on the local vendors and excursions. Very happy to hear the positive reports about the weather, food, service and crew.

• Like 1