On Board Experience

hacra

Hello all. I’ve noticed that the board topics and reviews regarding the Paul Gauguin have dried up recently.

We will be taking our 4th PG cruise in April of this year. (hopefully)

Im just wondering if anyone has any recent information on the overall on board experience of what it’s like sailing these days on a smaller ship. So much of a PG cruise is about the comradery of the staff and fellow passengers. We were just wondering about the dinning, piano bar and pool deck areas and what they are now like in these days of social distancing and mask wearing.

Any insights would be most welcome as I have always relied on CC to provide us with reliable information of their experiences on board.

Thanks in advance! 🌴😎🐠

1 hour ago, hacra said:

My apologies. I must have had a momentary lapse of sanity. And I read that post only 4 days ago.

Everything was perfect .... food superb, weather was great  .... ship looked lovely, crew was very recognizable except the Gauguine's witch were all new. Mask wasn't an issue  .... did miss the Kid's of Huahine because of covid but the cruise was very nice  ...

On 1/10/2022 at 4:23 PM, hacra said:

My apologies. I must have had a momentary lapse of sanity. And I read that post only 4 days ago.

hacra, Kahuna's glowing endorsement notwithstanding, I think you're going to be the canary in the coal mine here!  We are depending on *you* to tell us how things are, okay?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid has greatly altered the PG experience - we just disembarked this morning. Ponant is (prudently) not allowing the locals to board the ship due to Covid. No children of Huahine show, and Polynesian night did not include the ladies who normally board the ship with loads of fresh flowers for making of the leis, etc. (Although a couple of the Gauguines distributed pre-made leis that came onto the ship near the end of the cruise, it was not quite the same.) The food and staff were all amazing, as usual. Unfortunately, a significant number of staff were quarantined by the last few days of our cruise, adversely impacting the dining venues available and entertainment on the ship. This cruise felt so different. Until Covid is a distant memory, I  would urge others who know and love the PG to think carefully about going any time soon. 

• Thanks 1

My husband and I were on the December 29th sailing and it was amazing! Reading about the subsequent cruise, it seems we were very fortunate. If anyone has specific questions about the onboard experience, ask away.

We dove eight times with the PG marina crew and found them to be excellent professionals. A lot of excursions were unavailable because of the lack of participation/passengers in combination with the holiday. As we knew we would be diving as much as possible this didn’t alter our plans but I know some were disappointed.

21 hours ago, VacayAddict said:

Covid has greatly altered the PG experience - we just disembarked this morning. Ponant is (prudently) not allowing the locals to board the ship due to Covid. No children of Huahine show, and Polynesian night did not include the ladies who normally board the ship with loads of fresh flowers for making of the leis, etc. (Although a couple of the Gauguines distributed pre-made leis that came onto the ship near the end of the cruise, it was not quite the same.) The food and staff were all amazing, as usual. Unfortunately, a significant number of staff were quarantined by the last few days of our cruise, adversely impacting the dining venues available and entertainment on the ship. This cruise felt so different. Until Covid is a distant memory, I  would urge others who know and love the PG to think carefully about going any time soon. 

We are scheduled on next week's cruise. Because of all of the credits (air and PG) we have banked we don't want to add any more so it is likely we won't cancel. We are treating this as a Resort vacation with or without the cruise. 

A few questions. About how many passengers were on your cruise? Other then the storm, was weather a problem?  Were local shore excursions available? Any problems getting tests for your return?

We didn't book anything in advance and plan on booking as we go, is this a problem?

1 hour ago, azdrydock said:

We are scheduled on next week's cruise. Because of all of the credits (air and PG) we have banked we don't want to add any more so it is likely we won't cancel. We are treating this as a Resort vacation with or without the cruise. 

A few questions. About how many passengers were on your cruise? Other then the storm, was weather a problem?  Were local shore excursions available? Any problems getting tests for your return?

We didn't book anything in advance and plan on booking as we go, is this a problem?

We had approx 160 passengers on our Dec 29 cruise. Weather was  mostly fine with the seasonally typical heavy rain  spells. Didn’t do local excursions once onboard because of diving so can’t speak to that. Testing is very easy at the ILM center at the airport though we used the BianaxNOW tests with the Navica app from the comfort of our hotel room. If you have time on Tahiti before/after your cruise try to get to the Blue Banana for a meal. Beautiful views and fantastic food!

Edited by Fitstylist55

Thank you for the update Fitsylist55.  A group of us are scheduled on the Jan. 29 sailing.  We are flying in on Jan. 21 for 2 nights in Papeete and 5 nights in Bora Bora prior to the cruise.  Everyone is anxious. We have all of our tests lined up (even in Bora Bora).  If the cruise cancels, we will try to stay on Moorea for a week.  Booked this trip over a year ago, so hope all goes as planned.  First time on Paul Gauguin.  I have been to Tahiti and Moorea, but over 40 years ago.  So looking forward to this trip.

• Like 2

On the January 5 cruise we had about 180 passengers. We had a lot of rain. Motu Mahana day (normally our favorite!) was a washout and many did not leave the ship. We had excursions lined up with private operators in advance, but because of the pouring rain we opted out of our snorkel trip on Rangiroa with the Six Passengers, however some in our group still went and enjoyed it. We still cruised the Bora Bora lagoon and stopped to snorkel, but without the sun it wasn’t quite what we’d experienced before. The final few hours were pouring rain. Maybe playing your excursions by ear is the thing to do, but just be aware that there are not a lot of options at the ports/tender locations like at Caribbean ports.  are still in Moorea so I can’t comment on our covid test for return home. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for these reports!  For future trip go-ers, please update us as well, it is very helpful in these uncertain times.  I'm also interested in hearing about the new 24 hr covid test requirement and how that goes for the new cruisers.

While we do not go until June we are also staying precruise on Bora Bora at the Conrad.  I did email them and they told me that they could arrange the COVID test in order to board the ship (presuming that is still needed in June) at some location on the main island of Bora Bora.

Goldiemom, can you share the arrangements that you have made for the test on Bora Bora?

Thanks

The doctor is Dr. Azad Roussanaly.  Locally known as Dr. Azad.  Our hotel is arranging the logistics on getting to his office and back.  He does not take appointments, but told our hotel that we should be there at a certain time on a specific day for the test to be processed in Papeete in time for boarding the cruise.  The cost is 15,000 XPF  per person ( approx. $144 USD).  Paul Gauguin Cruises stated his office is in Vaitape just past the Bank of Tahiti.

FYI  ....

It is important that you get the PCR test in Bora Bora in the morning. Late afternoon and the test aren't likely sent back to PPT until the following day which could delay results. 

One person in my group in December tried to have it done in Bora Bora with the Dr. mentioned and it just didn't happen ...

If possible, it is probably a good idea to fly back to PPT a day before in the morning and take the PCR test at the airport .... the lab routinely gets the results to you within 30 hours of taking the test.

Thanks for all of the info

On the ILM site it now says they are now closed on weekends.  Tahiti Tourism has not updated their charts but states the PCR tests at the airport will cost about $250ea and is unclear if this is a standard or quick turnaround test. Couple that with US turnarounds now approaching 4 days in some areas, it is going to be a challenge to comply with the PG 3 day test for those of arriving Friday night

Just returned from the Jan 5 sailing.  We had the PCR test to board the ship on Tuesday morning at the IC.  ILM was coming to the hotel to vaccinate the employees so they offered to do the test there for us. We had the results by that evening.  The cost was $120/person charged beforehand. Do not know if this would happen again, but it's worth an ask.

For the return antigen test, we received it onboard the ship before we disembarked. The results were available in 20 minutes, and the ship printed them for us.  We did not fly out until the next morning and this was perfectly acceptable.  If the ship does not do this for future cruises, there is a pharmacy right across form the pier that accepts appointments for the test.  And there is a pharmacy across the foot bridge in front of the Hilton that does the test.  They are open on the weekend.

59 minutes ago, azdrydock said:

Thanks for all of the info

On the ILM site it now says they are now closed on weekends.  Tahiti Tourism has not updated their charts but states the PCR tests at the airport will cost about $250ea and is unclear if this is a standard or quick turnaround test. Couple that with US turnarounds now approaching 4 days in some areas, it is going to be a challenge to comply with the PG 3 day test for those of arriving Friday night

The airport location is open every day. The downtown Papeete location is closed on the weekends. I took the “last minute” PCR at the airport on Dec 28 for the Dec 29 embarkation and had results within hours. 

Edited by Fitstylist55

23 hours ago, gabelle said:

Just returned from the Jan 5 sailing.  We had the PCR test to board the ship on Tuesday morning at the IC.  ILM was coming to the hotel to vaccinate the employees so they offered to do the test there for us. We had the results by that evening.  The cost was $120/person charged beforehand. Do not know if this would happen again, but it's worth an ask.

For the return antigen test, we received it onboard the ship before we disembarked. The results were available in 20 minutes, and the ship printed them for us.  We did not fly out until the next morning and this was perfectly acceptable.  If the ship does not do this for future cruises, there is a pharmacy right across form the pier that accepts appointments for the test.  And there is a pharmacy across the foot bridge in front of the Hilton that does the test.  They are open on the weekend.

I am good on the  return to US, problem is trying to schedule the PG embark test without paying more then $500 at PPT for a last minute test for embarkation.

If they do it at the IC on Saturday that would be great.

The ILM site said they are closed on Saturday. When I went back on the site earlier today I noticed the screen flashed red as it opened. Tried it on an old slow computer and after opening and closing and opening numerus times it appears to be a message in French saying the ILM is open for testing on Saturday from 7:30 until noon. I didn't have time to read the entire screen. If they can do a last minute test I have a plan B

Edited by azdrydock

Question for past guests. For men are dark designer jeans with a collared dress shirt allowed in the dining room?

We sail on March 5th. Will Paul Gauguin allow you on the ship prior to 3pm? Any suggestions for the embarkation.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, 977HTZ said:

Question for past guests. For men are dark designer jeans with a collared dress shirt allowed in the dining room?

We sail on March 5th. Will Paul Gauguin allow you on the ship prior to 3pm? Any suggestions for the embarkation.

Thanks.

Officially perhaps not, but don't know how Ponant would handle this.  My husband has worn black jeans and tan jeans, but not blue I believe, however dark.

3 hours ago, 977HTZ said:

Thanks.

I'm pretty certain PG has pushed back embarkation to 4 pm from 3 pm. I would imagine it has to do with Covid cleaning protocols. And no, early embarkation has never been permitted as far as I know. It's a small ship, embarkation was rather quick and painless prior to Covid, not sure what to expect now. Perhaps someone who has sailed since Covid restrictions have been in place can answer.

Edited by MrRandal
Clarity

58 minutes ago, MrRandal said:

I'm pretty certain PG has pushed back embarkation to 4 pm from 3 pm. I would imagine it has to do with Covid cleaning protocols. And no, early embarkation has never been permitted as far as I know. It's a small ship, embarkation was rather quick and painless prior to Covid, not sure what to expect now. Perhaps someone who has sailed since Covid restrictions have been in place can answer.

We embarked on Dec 29 at approximately 4 or 4:30pm. There is a tent set up where a rep checks to ensure you have completed the required documents. Next, your temp is taken and luggage disinfected. After this you meet with one of the ship’s

nurses to present your medical attestation, negative PCR report,  and vaccine card. After this step we were quickly shown to our cabin. It was honestly very oraganized and quick. No complaints!