Peace of Mind expiration date confusion

craig01020

About 10 days ago I cancelled my recent sailing under Peace of Mind to receive FCC.

I received two e-mails (one for me and my wife) that stated:

These future credits are valid for one year from the issue date and applicable to all published sailings through May 31, 2023. They are available for you to use on your “My Account” page on ncl.com.

Simple, right?  Well... in the My Account section of NCL you can see the expiration date is Jan. 12, 2023:1025612095_ScreenShot2022-01-13at8_49_25AM.png.afda609db5975be22f31ee4fec0b78bd.png

So far, I've got two different expiration dates. Not a problem, because I want to use the FCC on a cruise leaving Jan. 7, 2023, but the credit option under payment was grayed out.

So, I called NCL Reservations and asked the agent to apply my FCC to the Jan. 7 sailing. She told me that the expiration date is Dec. 31, 2022. I forwarded my e-mails and tried to explain that between the two of us, we have THREE different expiration dates! She was standing firm on the Dec. 31 statement and after 45 minutes on the phone, I was told someone would call me in 48 hours!

What a cluster🤬!

• Like 1

Agree it could be more clear.

I think the 1 year from the issue date appears consistent with a 12 Jan 23 valid period.  Granted this differs from the agent's 31 Dec 22 date.

What appears to be most confused is what that expiration date means.  The rep appears to think it is the cruise departure date, but the e-mail obviously implies it can be used for cruises departing through 31 May 23.

Yes - they need to have a straight story.  I am about to be in the same ship with an FCC coming and another reservation for Feb 2023. 

• Like 3

Just now, itsnotjustme said:

Yes - they need to have a straight story.

It could be as simple as: someone in Marketing changed the date extension policy, but forgot to copy the IT department to update the reservations system. We'll see...

On 1/13/2022 at 9:21 AM, itsnotjustme said:

I think the 1 year from the issue date appears consistent with a 12 Jan 23 valid period.

The final answer I got is that the Jan. 12, 2023 date is valid, but the cruise has to end by that date.

I called today to cancel my cruise because I don't like NCL's policy. My fare dropped so significantly I asked for an upgrade or some OBC. They said only an FCC which expired Dec 31 this year. I'm going to go on my cruise but never again would I consider a cheap company that has no customer service. This is the only cruise that charges for shows and nickels and dimes their passengers.  They are penny wise and dollar foolish.

40 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I called today to cancel my cruise because I don't like NCL's policy. My fare dropped so significantly I asked for an upgrade or some OBC. They said only an FCC which expired Dec 31 this year. I'm going to go on my cruise but never again would I consider a cheap company that has no customer service. This is the only cruise that charges for shows and nickels and dimes their passengers.  They are penny wise and dollar foolish.

Does the cruise that you use the FCC for have to be applied by 12/31/22 or sail by 12/31/22?

52 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

In what universe does NCL - or any company for that matter - owe you an upgrade if prices go down?  Are you willing to pay more if prices go up?

Please enlighten us as to which shows (beyond specialty dinner shows) NCL charges for.

Happy Hour Prohibition - The Musical

Set in world famous Madam Lulu’s New Orleans speakeasy, savor five of your own Prohibition Era specialty cocktails, each with a modern twist. Enjoy an unforget ...

• PRICE $29.99 USD

And as posted above Zambooka and this one.

I don't drink so why would I pay for this show? Who can drink 5 drinks during a show anyway.

The $50 shore excursion is useless since I looked at a $39 city tour and the remaining $11 cannot be used for DH.  I won't cruise with NCL again, there are so many better lines I've experienced particularly Celebrity, RCL and Princess in the Mass Market fields. There dining venues for included food is also sub par. Most ships have multiple venues besides the MDR but NCL has only one, some grill. 

To your question who owes me anything if prices go down. Owe nothing but every cruise I've ever booked and I cruise 5-6 times a year allow an upgrade or give OBC as a goodwill gesture. Next month I'm sailing on the Majestic Princess and they not only gave me a refund after final pymt they threw in a night for 2 at the specialty restaurant, a really class act. I experienced  such better service from Others that NCL doesn't get my business after this cruise. 

Some people will love NCL and that's their opinion. not mine.  I sailed with them twice years  ago and found them Ok, not now.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Typically there will be two dates associated with a Future Cruise Credit.  The first is the latest date for you to apply the FCC to a reservation.  The next date is the latest departure date for which the FCC is valid.  FCC issued during 2020 for cancelled cruises typically had a "use by" date of 12/31/21 for cruises sailing on or before 12/31/22.  If I recall correctly, NCL extended the "use by" date to 1/31/22 on most of those.  For FCC issued recently, I would expect the dates to run later.  There have been reports on this forum of passengers who were successful in getting their certificates extended by calling NCL and explaining their situation.  Here's wishing you the best of luck in dealing with NCL on this matter.