Evening gown with jacket?

PammyJeanB

I've been frantically searching online for a few nice formal evening gowns (no luck) and just hit Filene's yesterday. I've purchased two floor length evening gowns, absolutely gorgeous, but they have the beaded jackets. Does anyone think I'll be sweltering wearing the jackets? I know it's the Caribbean, but I've heard the AC can be on Artic freeze.

Also, I have wraps, but I hate keeping track of them..."are they on my shoulders or on the floor?" I thought this would eliminate the need for my husband to keep track of them :)

What a deal too ! Both dresses had original prices of $180. and I got both for under $120. !! :D

Congratulations on your finds!!

I think you will probably be happy to have those jackets with you on formal evenings. Most people complain about the A/C being set on "Arctic" on ships. While I've not experienced this too many times, I've never been too warm, either. At worst, you can slip it off and hang it on the back of your seat while you dine.

Enjoy your cruise!

I ALWAYS wear either a wrap or a beaded jacket. Sometimes I take it off in the dining room, but the hallways are really cold. You'll be glad you have it. I also carry a nice casual jacket for other times when a formal jacket doesn't go with more casual wear.

Have a GREAT trip!

Photos please! I always freeze in the dining rooms. Can you take the jackets off and still not be naked if you get hot?

Although I would love to show everyone my "finds", unfortunately, Filene's doesn't offer online pics of their gowns. :(

I'm surprised at the weight of the jackets! Although I wear business suits every day for work, I've never had the opportunity to wear this type of outfit! I think I need to work out with the weights for a while just to build up my strength for an evening of glitz and glam!:D

When I first started looking at dresses, my cruise was months ahead of me and so, naturally, I looked to the sleeveless gowns, but I'm glad I went with the option of a jacket....haven't been minding my Ps & Qs with my diet! Still got the major case of the "jigglies" going on! :o

Thanks for all the advise ladies!

Should I get my hair done for the formal evenings? I'm just thinking of the packing of the curliers, hot irons, and such, but....I wouldn't want to spend a ton of $$ for someone to make me look like a newspaper reporter! No offense to newspaper reporters;)

I'd like to look nicely coiffured - not like Betty Boop after a ride on a rollercoaster!

Hmmm.. I did not see any reporter types on any of my cruises. I got very good at doing my own hair before the cruise. I forced my husband to take me out to dinner (poor guy) several times before the cruise and practiced. It got to the point I could do it with a dryer and an curling iron. Get you curls hot and slip a bobby pin in them to hold them there while they curl. They will stay longer. The prices on the ships for hairstyling are. Well ouch is a good term.

but....I wouldn't want to spend a ton of $$ for someone to make me look like a newspaper reporter! No offense to newspaper reporters;)

I don't get the reference. What kind of hairstyle is typical of a newpaper reporter? The only one I can think of is Lois Lane and her style wasn't anything special.

In any case, I personally wouldn't spend the money to have my hair done on the ship's salon. Actually, I tried it twice on two different ships and both times my DH said that I do a better job of blowing out my hair.

But no one can tell you how to spend your money. If having your hair done in the ship's salon is something you'd enjoy, then by all means do it!

Have a great cruise.

I have seen some concern that some small town reporters have, um... rather large hair in proportion to body size. Would that be a good visual?

You nailed it! Actually, during one of my, not too long ago, visits to my stylist, she styled my hair in a most unbecoming helmet shaped "do" and one of the women next to my chair commented that I looked like a news reporter...not one in particular, but you've seen the reporters outdoors in weather akin to tornado weather and their hair never moves. Just a huge helmet:D But, I guess I've never walked out of a salon with a good style; a good cut yes, but not the style.

PammyJean, the only thing I would be careful of is that beaded jackets with formal gown scream, "Mother of the Bride!".

If you are under a certain age, and you can decide what age that is, you may want to sell the jackets on eBay and use a wrap.

I hope I'm not being offensive!

I have now two outfits with jackets. I'm a little thick through the middle and feel comfortable with the jacket. I like a three piece look. I know mother of the bride but I'm in that age group. I can take the jacket off both outfits. If you are happy that's whats counts. You are dressed for formal night.....wish I was there....maybe in Dec.:)

PammyJean, the only thing I would be careful of is that beaded jackets with formal gown scream, "Mother of the Bride!".

I gave some thought to the possible "Mother of the Bride" label, but I didn't have that feeling when I tried them on.

http://www.avantidesign.net/special.html - here's the link to two dresses I found that are almost identical to the two I bought. Style A7522 & Style A7527 - will have to go to the "Special Occasion."

Let me know what you ladies think? Mother of the Bride or not?

I gave some thought to the possible "Mother of the Bride" label, but I didn't have that feeling when I tried them on.

http://www.avantidesign.net/special.html - here's the link to two dresses I found that are almost identical to the two I bought. Style A7522 & Style A7527 - will have to go to the "Special Occasion."

Let me know what you ladies think? Mother of the Bride or not?

I think those dresses are wonderful......one of my dresses for the cruise will be an Emerald Green A-line that I wore standing up for my sisters wedding....It is a satiny material, strapless with a wrap. Or I have a black and white one that I wore for my friends wedding as a bridesmaid...if they look bridesmaidy oh well.....I also have a red, sparkly, strapless for the other formal night ...all floor length

I have seen some concern that some small town reporters have, um... rather large hair in proportion to body size. Would that be a good visual?

Huh? Where would you see a smalltown newspaper reporters with big hair? Do you wander around many smalltown newspaper offices? LOL!!!

Perhaps you're referring to television news reporters though PammyJean was talking about newpaper reporters.

Jane

You nailed it! Actually, during one of my, not too long ago, visits to my stylist, she styled my hair in a most unbecoming helmet shaped "do" and one of the women next to my chair commented that I looked like a news reporter...not one in particular, but you've seen the reporters outdoors in weather akin to tornado weather and their hair never moves. Just a huge helmet:D But, I guess I've never walked out of a salon with a good style; a good cut yes, but not the style.

Ahhh.........I think you're confusing a newpaper with a television.

I guess that's why when you mentioned looking like a newpaper reporter, the only one I could think of was Lois Lane.

Jane

Ahhh.........I think you're confusing a newpaper with a television

You're right! I was thinking television, but typing newspaper. I was probably in that mindset due to the fact that we'd had some severe weather up here in the north and was interviewed by a newspaper reporter early last week. And, although it was a female newspaper reporter that interviewed me (had a Wizard of Oz moment-my barn became airborn!), she certainly didn't have big hair. The only thing outrageous about her is her driving:D (a neighbor-have to ditch it every time she drives past me! ha,ha,ha.)

Hey, another quick beaded jacket question. The dress that is questionably MOB, is very glitzy. Meaning the beading sparkles with multi colors. It, to me, looks more "Vegas"ie". Will it be too loud? Everytime I open my closet door, I'm not only mesmerized, but a little dizzy looking at it.:D

Ouch! :( And here I was thinking I'd finally be able to wear all those glittery little spaghetti string tops with my slinky, shiny, silky black pants. I'm like a magpie drawn to shiny glittery things when I shop...but I don't go out enough places where I can wear them. If I have to cover them up with a jacket...(I absolutely hate the cold - did I mention I'm from Connecticut? brrr)... that spoils the whole effect.

The chilly decks at night are no surprise, but are lacy shawls warm enough for the dining rooms and shows? or is it just the halls that are cool without all the bodyheat of the crowded rooms?

Ouch! :( And here I was thinking I'd finally be able to wear all those glittery little spaghetti string tops with my slinky, shiny, silky black pants. I'm like a magpie drawn to shiny glittery things when I shop...but I don't go out enough places where I can wear them. If I have to cover them up with a jacket...(I absolutely hate the cold - did I mention I'm from Connecticut? brrr)... that spoils the whole effect.

The chilly decks at night are no surprise, but are lacy shawls warm enough for the dining rooms and shows? or is it just the halls that are cool without all the bodyheat of the crowded rooms?

I was fine with just a thin shawl/sweater in the Dining room and shows. Basically I just needed something to keep the cool air off my skin.

Should I get my hair done for the formal evenings? I'm just thinking of the packing of the curliers, hot irons, and such, but....I wouldn't want to spend a ton of $$ for someone to make me look like a newspaper reporter! No offense to newspaper reporters;)

I'd like to look nicely coiffured - not like Betty Boop after a ride on a rollercoaster!

I always arrange as soon as I get on board to have my 'do every formal night. You will probably get the same hairdresser each time and if you forget your appointment they call your cabin.

The professional photographers will be set up to take your picture in the main lobby area by the stairs just before dinner on formal night, so you will want to have your hair done.

Slinkie

Archived