Princess not affiliated with P&O SNC, right?

p010ne

:eek: There seems to be quite a bit of controversy about state-owned companies in the United Arab Emirites owning London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company, which has shipping operations at numerous major US ports? There is some history on the web that seems to detail the information that the Carnival Corporation is not connected with P&O!:rolleyes:

Carnival basically bought the cruise line division from the larger P&O Organization. P&O Princess Cruises has nothing to do with any of the other P&O companies out there, whether the port company currently in the "controversy" or the container shipping company.

Although I am an American, this news distresses me (not only because of the US ports controversy).

P&O is a great British institution. In fact, it's been around longer than Cunard (as a steamship company). In a way, it would be like GE or IBM or another large, established American corporation being sold to foreign interests. With all the news about the implications to US ports, we haven't heard much about (if there is even any) controversy in Britain about this transaction. As an aside, I don't care that it's an Arab company buying P&O. I would be just as upset if it were Spanish, French, German, Italian, Canadian, and yes American (I wasn't thrilled with Carnival's takeover of the passenger ship operations). I just believe that P&O is a great British institution and should have remained completely so.

In a way, P&O began its slide from prominance when it demerged its passenger ship operations from the rest of P&O (and then that organization was ultimately absorbed by Carnival Corp).

So, the long answer to the original post is no, Princess isn't part of the P&O that's the talk of the world right now (although, not all that long ago, it was).

P&O is a great British institution. In fact, it's been around longer than Cunard (as a steamship company). In a way, it would be like GE or IBM or another large, established American corporation being sold to foreign interests. With all the news about the implications to US ports, we haven't heard much about (if there is even any) controversy in Britain about this transaction.
FWIW, I don't believe that there is any. We have many great British institutions that are owned or part-owned by non-British interests, and yet remain great British institutions. If we were prone to getting seriously concerned about the prospect, we'd have to start by wailing about all of the great British institutions that are now owned by American interests ... ;)

In a way, it would be like GE or IBM or another large, established American corporation being sold to foreign interests.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but didn't you know that IBM sold out its PC business to the Chinese some time ago?!!

Archived