What happens if you test Positive for Covid at US Port???

ready2cruzagain

In USA and I am curious. I know we are to get tested within 48 hours before we cruise and now they are testing for Covid at the Port before boarding.  My question is, if we decide to go, we test negative before we go to the port, drop off our luggage, stand in line, get tested before going on the ship, and find out we are positive, what happens?  What happens to our luggage that is on the ship? Are we allowed to leave and drive straight home? Do they quarantine you in a Hotel and if so for how long? 

Not worried about testing positive before we get to the port because we will just not go to the port but if they are still testing at the port by the end of February just worried about what will happen. 

I have seen very few speak up and say they tested positive at the port but I know there are some and wondering what happened. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain

For a US port:  

You will be denied boarding.  Your luggage gets tracked down and returned to you.

You are allowed to leave and return (drive) home.  

No mandatory quarantine in the US...  yet.

Policy regarding any refunds is between you, the cruise line and your travel insurance company - or any variation thereof.  

Edited by pr8hd

7 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

In USA and I am curious. I know we are to get tested within 48 hours before we cruise and now they are testing for Covid at the Port before boarding.  My question is, if we decide to go, we test negative before we go to the port, drop off our luggage, stand in line, get tested before going on the ship, and find out we are positive, what happens?  What happens to our luggage that is on the ship? Are we allowed to leave and drive straight home? Do they quarantine you in a Hotel and if so for how long? 

Not worried about testing positive before we get to the port because we will just not go to the port but if they are still testing at the port by the end of February just worried about what will happen. 

I have seen very few speak up and say they tested positive at the port but I know there are some and wondering what happened. 

From: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures It says the following:

It also appears on the contracts of carriage, similar terms have stated since at least November, 2021 when we originally booked our cruise.  Difference now is that it's not buried in the fine prints.  Not sure if anyone has recently taken advantage of it on cruise critic though

If you test positive for
COVID-19 within 14 days
prior to or during your cruise,
you and your traveling party
will receive a full or prorated
refund and assistance if
required, with onboard
medical care and land-based
quarantine. We'll make it easy
for you to meet testing
obligations on board prior to
returning home.

2 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

From: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/health-and-safety-measures It says the following:

It also appears on the contracts of carriage, similar terms have stated since at least November, 2021 when we originally booked our cruise.  Difference now is that it's not buried in the fine prints.  Not sure if anyone has recently taken advantage of it on cruise critic though

If you test positive for
COVID-19 within 14 days
refund and assistance if
required, with onboard
for you to meet testing
returning home.

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a similar question, what happens if you test positive at the embarkation , but instead of driving you need to fly back home. 

How MSC is going to take care? You will need to pay the hotel for quarantine if you don't have insurance? 

7 hours ago, pr8hd said:

For a US port:  

You will be denied boarding.  Your luggage gets tracked down and returned to you.

You are allowed to leave and return (drive) home.  

No mandatory quarantine in the US...  yet.

Policy regarding any refunds is between you, the cruise line and your travel insurance company - or any variation thereof.  

Thank you! Not worried about monies, we have Covid Travel Insurance.  Was just worried about trying to get our luggage and having to quarantine instead of being able to return home.  This makes me feel so much better!

3 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

If you test positive for
COVID-19 within 14 days
refund and assistance if
required, with onboard
for you to meet testing
returning home.

Yes, seen that several weeks ago.  Not worried about monies since bought insurance.  Just happy I would not have to quarantine in a motel.

1 hour ago, Acrobatu2 said:

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have a similar question, what happens if you test positive at the embarkation , but instead of driving you need to fly back home. 

How MSC is going to take care? You will need to pay the hotel for quarantine if you don't have insurance? 

I don’t think MSC will give u a hotel or anything. (I’m not sure about fly and cruise type of deal). No one will stop you from not isolating or quaranting or even flying. But since you do have to certify before a it’s been at least five days since a positive test when checking in for a domestic flight, I’d probably just get a local hotel and enjoy the beaches for 5 days before flying 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, FrostyJoe said:

I don’t think MSC will give u a hotel or anything. (I’m not sure about fly and cruise type of deal). No one will stop you from not isolating or quaranting or even flying. But since you do have to certify before a it’s been at least five days since a positive test when checking in for a domestic flight, I’d probably just get a local hotel and enjoy the beaches for 5 days before flying 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes, I thought so, unfortunately no answer yet from MSC, I just asked what they mean with "assistance if
required, with onboard
quarantine".

Anyway Thanks for answering I will post the MSC's reply to my question so everyone will know.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Acrobatu2 said:

Yes, I thought so, unfortunately no answer yet from MSC, I just asked what they mean with "assistance if
required, with onboard
quarantine".

Anyway Thanks for answering I will post the MSC's reply to my question so everyone will know.

I think the land based quarantine may apply to non US based cruise in counties that are significantly more strict with Covid protocols vs the US to include mandatory quarantine/isolation…

I would have to imagine in the US and especially in Florida “assistance” for land based quarantine (non required as far as I know) may be more like denial of boarding, getting your bags back from the ship, and then essentially kick you out the terminal saying good luck!!!

maybe they’ll treat B2B people different. I’m not sure. This is all conjecture based on their ambiguous language 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

I would have to imagine in the US and especially in Florida “assistance” for land based quarantine (non required as far as I know) may be more like denial of boarding, getting your bags back from the ship, and then essentially kick you out the terminal saying good luck

I'm afraid you are 100% right,

thanks again for your time, I follow this tread since December and you were really helpful 😀

45 minutes ago, Acrobatu2 said:

I'm afraid you are 100% right,

thanks again for your time, I follow this tread since December and you were really helpful 😀

You’re welcome.  Now that we literally have 28 at home antigens coming soon (4 from the government and 8 per family per month times three via insurance reimbursement), we will probably test everyday for 4 - 5 days prior to minimize the chance of being surprised with positive at the embarkation testing. 

I think I’d be more tempted to just move the cruise if a test comes back positive more than 48 hours out using their cruise move option (despite the fact they’re not releasing ALL their sailings they’re selling for new bookings for cruise moves) vs trying my luck at a refund. They said minimum 2 billing cycles for a refund when I called and asked about hypothetical scenarios and only lord knows if they’ll actually refund in 60 ish days…

if I were you, I’d look into the insurance reimbursement for over the counter antigen tests (8 per family member per calendar month if you’re not aware of it yet) and have lots on hand for testing prior week. Obviously that’s not full proof.  Also, I’m still not clear on guidance on whether this new mandate can cover proctored at home tests or not.   They’re supposed to come out with official government guidance but I haven’t seen it - I’d be surprised if it does covered proctored tests ultimately though. 

For additional measure to in minimizing risk of surprise positive at port, a NAAT test (IDNOW) for your test two days prior at Walgreens maybe be a good option, since it should be more sensitive vs antigen and should be able to detect a positive a day or two before the antigen test at port will detect a positive. 

but who knows what MSC and other cruise lines will do when we hopefully cruise in March or whenever you’ll cruise. Maybe they won’t even test at port then….  

Edited by FrostyJoe
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, FrostyJoe said:

if I were you, I’d look into the insurance reimbursement for over the counter antigen tests (8 per family member per calendar month if you’re not aware of it yet) and have lots on hand for testing prior week. Obviously that’s not full proof.  Also, I’m still not clear on guidance on whether this new mandate can cover proctored at home tests or not.   They’re supposed to come out with official government guidance but I haven’t seen it - I’d be surprised if it does covered proctored tests ultimately though. 

Sad, sad thing is the people that would need the Covid test at home the most are not covered.  Medicare announced, even though JB said each person will be reimbursed by insurance for 8 test a month, they will NOT cover the at home tests. Well ain't that a kick in the bottom.  Our monthly Medicare premium is more than our daughters monthlly insurance for a family of 6 but yet they will not pay for the tests. Geez.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

18 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Sad, sad thing is the people that would need the Covid test at home the most are not covered.  Medicare announced, even though JB said each person will be reimbursed by insurance for 8 test a month, they will NOT cover the at home tests. Well ain't that a kick in the bottom.  Our monthly Medicare premium is more than our daughters monthlly insurance for a family of 6 but yet they will not pay for the tests. Geez.

Yes totally agreed. Medicare has some obscure rules and I would imagine the limitation was due to some obscure rule….

doesn’t make any common sense though. Same with Medicares forbidding negotiating drug prices with drug companies or allowing the use of manufacture coupons. 

I do believe though that this new policy, if widely used, will still help in ways medical eligible recipients. Hopefully moving forward, folks will now use these tests before gatherings and meeting to include Medicare eligible folks before any symtomns or possivle contanct and as a purely a preventative measure vs now…. 

40 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Yes totally agreed. Medicare has some obscure rules and I would imagine the limitation was due to some obscure rule….

doesn’t make any common sense though. Same with Medicares forbidding negotiating drug prices with drug companies or allowing the use of manufacture coupons. 

I do believe though that this new policy, if widely used, will still help in ways medical eligible recipients. Hopefully moving forward, folks will now use these tests before gatherings and meeting to include Medicare eligible folks before any symtomns or possivle contanct and as a purely a preventative measure vs now…. 

Their statement was that there are plenty of free testing sights and if one needs a test to go to the testing sight that is free.🤦

We were just on Meraviglia this week.  All five of us took at home antigen tests 3 days before our cruise with the thought that if any of us came back positive we would utilize MSC’s Cruise with Confidence program to reschedule.  By the time we would get the mandatory official 2 day tests it would have been too late per the programs rules.   Luckily we were all negative with the at home tests.   We were also negative on the official tests at the free county testing site the next day.  

Just beyond the security X ray station at Port Canaveral we were placed in line for MSCs newly added mandatory pre check in testing.   There were lots of testing bays but it still took a while to get through the line.   Once the samples were taken (they go pretty deep) we had our vaccine cards and 48 hour negative test documents scanned.  Then we were ushered to a very crowded waiting area sorted by test group.  We were practically seated on top of each other there.   Attendants then periodically scanned our bar codes to check if our results were ready.   It probably took 10-15 minutes for all of us to be notified of our negative results and then allowed to proceed to the check in counter. 

We did see at least one group who was notified that they had a positive result at the terminal testing.   They were pulled aside and given information on who to contact for a refund/reschedule to a later date.  They were told that their checked bags were being retrieved from the ship as well.  

There was no additional mandatory testing once onboard.   They were still performing daily temperature checks and had activities and areas  onboard sorted for vaccinated/unvaccinated.   Masking was required indoors when not eating or drinking and masks were provided for each cabin on embarkation.

Edited by Motegi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Motegi said:

We were just on Meraviglia this week.  All five of us took at home antigen tests 3 days before our cruise with the thought that if any of us came back positive we would utilize MSC’s Cruise with Confidence program to reschedule.  By the time we would get the mandatory official 2 day tests it would have been too late per the programs rules.   Luckily we were all negative with the at home tests.   We were also negative on the official tests at the free county testing site the next day.  

Just beyond the security X ray station at Port Canaveral we were placed in line for MSCs newly added mandatory pre check in testing.   There were lots of testing bays but it still took a while to get through the line.   Once the samples were taken (they go pretty deep) we had our vaccine cards and 48 hour negative test documents scanned.  Then we were ushered to a very crowded waiting area sorted by test group.  We were practically seated on top of each other there.   Attendants then periodically scanned our bar codes to check if our results were ready.   It probably took 10-15 minutes for all of us to be notified of our negative results and then allowed to proceed to the check in counter. 

We did see at least one group who was notified that they had a positive result at the terminal testing.   They were pulled aside and given information on who to contact for a refund/reschedule to a later date.  They were told that their checked bags were being retrieved from the ship as well.  

There was no additional mandatory testing once onboard.   They were still performing daily temperature checks and had activities and areas  onboard sorted for vaccinated/unvaccinated.   Masking was required indoors when not eating or drinking and masks were provided for each cabin on embarkation.

Thank you. Can you just tell us when you arrived at terminal 10?

36 minutes ago, FrostyJoe said:

Thank you. Can you just tell us when you arrived at terminal 10?

Our assigned window was 1:00-1:30.  We arrived just before 1.   We were onboard just after 2. Not YC, regular line.  Cabins were ready by the time we were onboard. 

Edited by Motegi

46 minutes ago, Motegi said:

Our assigned window was 1:00-1:30.  We arrived just before 1.   We were onboard just after 2. Not YC, regular line.  Cabins were ready by the time we were onboard. 

Thank you. Not too bad. But I would imagine it’ll get exponentially worse as more people start cruising

• Like 1

I sailed on Meraviglia back in September, 2021. After the restart and up until August, MSC did the at-port testing, but by the time we sailed they had stopped doing it. I am guessing they restarted that testing because of the flare-up of the Omicron variant. Now, there are signs that the infection rate is beginning to decline. MSC will likely discontinue the at-port testing as soon as is feasible- going back to relying solely on their cruisers getting tested 2 days prior to embarkation. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TnTom said:

I sailed on Meraviglia back in September, 2021. After the restart and up until August, MSC did the at-port testing, but by the time we sailed they had stopped doing it. I am guessing they restarted that testing because of the flare-up of the Omicron variant. Now, there are signs that the infection rate is beginning to decline. MSC will likely discontinue the at-port testing as soon as is feasible- going back to relying solely on their cruisers getting tested 2 days prior to embarkation. 

Thanks for the info Tom! Good to see you still sailing.  Sailed with you on the Divina I think back in 2017 along with CTBob. That was a great cruise!  Our favorite cruise in almost 50! 

9 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Thanks for the info Tom! Good to see you still sailing.  Sailed with you on the Divina I think back in 2017 along with CTBob. That was a great cruise!  Our favorite cruise in almost 50! 

That definitely was a fun cruise! I am going to be on the Divina again starting February 13. When I was disembarking Divina last time, I realized there were areas of the ship I had failed to explore... looking forward to being on her again! To date, though, I think Meraviglia is my favorite MSC ship. Of course, that sailing had 1000 guests (with a 5400 capacity). Who wouldn't love that kind of elbow room!?!? 🙂