Just back from 11 nights on the Anthem 01-09 through 01-20

Hello all! I’ve learned so much from all of you and these boards the past few months I figured I would write a review of our time on the Anthem.  We sailed Sunday 01-09-22 through Thursday 01-20-22.  This cruise has already  been lifted and shifted from 2021.  This is my 20th cruise, 2nd on RC, 1st on Anthem.  The big question everyone wanted to know…how many passengers?  Between cancelations and positive tests…We were informed (by Captain’s corner) we had just 1623 passengers and 1390 crew!!! It was AMAZING!

We decided to use the RC EMed Covid tests.  Easy, peasy…worth the convenience and money. BUY THEM!

We drove down to NJ the night before and stayed in Newark at an Airbnb which I prefer over hotels.  We visited Liberty Park to see the Empty Sky Memorial, saw NYC skyline and Statue of Liberty.  Also went to Carlos Bakery (original location in Hoboken) and grabbed a take out dinner from and amazing Italian deli.

We had an 11am check in, but the night before I received a text/email  regarding some mechanical issue that slowed the ship down, so we were pushed back 1 hour to 12:00pm. FYI….this issue was fully fixed in our first port of call.

Check in: This was a COLD nightmare.  We didn’t show up until 12pm as informed and we were outside in line for over an hour.  There was no direction/movement in the line.  We had extra coats and mittens, but still so cold.  Once we were allowed inside, we moved fast and we’re on the ship. I do hope they work on this for further sailings.

Cabin:  We started out in an inside cabin on deck 11.  I won a Royal Up Bid to an Ocean View Balcony on deck 7.  We were notified 12 days prior to cruise. Cabin 7164, super quiet and convenient to elevators. This also seemed to be a much bigger balcony, so much space!

Dining/Drinks: We had 5:30pm set  dining in Grande MDR.  I also purchased the 3 night dining package before we left for $109pp.  We also had the refreshment package for $17pp.

•   DRINKS: Started most mornings with a drink at La Patisserie.  Nice to be able to try all the fancy coffee drinks.  Liked the Iced Chai best.  With the refreshment package we could use the Freestyle “soda” machine.  As a non soda drinker, I was happy to find many lo calorie “fruit drinks” that reminded me of Crystal Light.  I enjoyed the fresh squeezed OJ.  Favorite mocktails: Arizona Sunset, frozen mango/tango, and the non alcoholic drinks at Bionic Bar.

•  RESTAURANTS:

Breakfast: Solarium Bistro (GREAT hash), 270 (I did not like any of the breakfast sandwiches, very rubbery when warmed up I thought…tried them 2x), room service (YES it is free for any breakfast item until 11am, we tipped our delivery person.  Although our order was wrong more times than right lol!), Windjammer (good waffles and avocado toast), Main Dining Room (great French Toast): My top choice for breakfast: Windjammer or MDR.  Many mornings I went down and grabbed food and brought it back up to eat on balcony.

Lunch: Solarium Bistro, Windjammer, SeaDogs (we didn’t love the microwaved buns), Sorrento’s pizza on the deck during pool days (LOVED The pizza!), 270 Cafe (make sure to ask for sandwiches grilled or they just stick them in microwave).

Dinner: Grande (we loved the roasted beef tenderloin, beef short rib and gnocchi, pumpkin soup), Wonderland: I am NOT a seafood eater of any kind, but had plenty to eat!  Our waiter worked hard to ensure he met all of our likes and dislikes…we trusted him and he didn’t disappoint.  Loved the Rabbit Rita Cocktail. Windjammer, Jamie’s Italian: YUMMMM!  Started with their homemade lemonade (non alcoholic), we split 3 appetizers: arrichini (AMAZING), meat plank (loved this) and cheesy garlic bread.  For our entrees we shared the lasagna and carbonara (both were tasty).  We were full for dessert but tried the raspberry Pavlova and took the cheesecake back to cabin Chops: Honestly, it was just okay for us, nothing spectacular.  The best part was the appetizer, we had the bacon: YUM.  The Caesar salad, lobster bisque were good not great.  The sides (asparagus, Mac n cheese, truffle fries and tater tots were mediocre at best).  We both ordered filet mignon, again, we’re they good yes, we’re they outstanding, not in our opinions.  We were too full for dessert but brought a piece of key lime pie and cheesecake back to cabin.  Cheesecake was very good. My choice for dinner: Wonderland or MDR.

Shows: Tried to see most shows: Rodney Johnson (good family, friendly comedian), Pete Mathews (juggler). WWRY (saw the matinee performance…LOVED IT).  We didn’t enjoy the 270 Experience “show”, Spectra.  We LOVED Frankie and the dreamers!!  His voice was amazing! Saw the comedian Richie Minervini, magician David Gatti, Inconcert with the WWRY singers. 

Ship Areas: The first couple of days we spent a lot of time in the Solarium.  There was always seats available.  It was quiet and not to hot at all. Used the hot tubs and pools.  Lots of deck chairs available on sea days on deck 15. The outdoor pool only had a few people in it each time at beginning of cruise.  On way back they were monitoring how many people were in it (supposed to be capped at 14).  I think more than 14 but they were having a queue to get in. On day 10 deck 15 was closed and ALL pools were closed due to weather.  It was sunny, but very rocky.  We were lucky to grab two seats near the indoor pool and relax and read.

Activities: BOOK the bumper cars!  Only 4 minutes but so fun! I would also advise to book the Extended North Star ride. Worth $29 for 12 minute ride: 300ft. Up, over both sides of ship.  I was the only one, so I had a private tour! We did some of the craft classes: pop up card making.  Other than that, most of the things that we may have had interest in didn’t work with our time frames of other things.

Ports:  Puerto Rico was canceled a few days before we sailed, so this was a given. 

• St. Kitts: it was announced on day two that due positive crew cases St. Kitts was canceled.  The itinerary was changed a bit based on port order and times in port.  We were given a days cruise fare as OBC. 
  • St. Maarten: since we had been here a few times before, we decided to take the water taxi ($7pp round trip and handicap accessible) over to Great Bay Beach. I had pre-reserved with Miguel (orange umbrellas) for $30: 2 chairs, umbrella, WiFi, restroom and bucket of 5 water/soda or beer.  The water was chilly but beautiful and we needed it with the hot sun!  We stayed here for 5 hours.  Had lunch across the street at Blue Bittch Bar.  Good cocktails and snacks.  We loved the Gouda cheese sticks.  Did a bit more shopping and then took the water taxi back over. **They did offer a shuttle to and from the ship/shopping area.  This was great, as my mother has some walking limitations and uses a rolling Walker. We were in port 9a-9:30p….but this affected our next two ports.
  • Antigua: this was supposed to be on Saturday 01-15 but due to canceling St. Kitts, it was changed to today and also out time was cut short 8a-3:30p.  I had pre-booked ahead of time with a private excursion: Lawrence of Antigua.  He was great with communication and had contacted me about the ships change before I reached out to him. There ended up being only 7 of us total in the shuttle.  We did a 3hr. Tour of the island: visited Devil’s Bridge, Shirley Heights, Nelson Dockyard.  He gave a great narrative along the way.  We then stopped for almost 2hrs. at Turner Beach…although tiny….it was SO beautiful.  Beach bar, chairs and tiki covers.  The water is some of the nicest I’ve been in the Caribbean.  We were dropped off at port with an hour to spare to shop. $50 for this 5hr tour.  We ran into a ship excursion at the beach and they didn’t do 1/2 as much we did ant was double the price. 
  • Barbados: Disappointed that are time here was also cut: 11a-4:30p.  Due to this, our private excursion Calabazza catamaran snorkeling with turtles was canceled.  We decided to take a taxi to Harbor Lights instead. $10pp round trip.  $20 for 2 chairs, shared umbrella.  There was free WiFi but no service on the beach. Only by the shops and food.

Overall thoughts: would I sail again during Covid with the protocols:  YES! Would I cruise again with RC and/or on the Anthem: YES!  The protocols were definitely manageable and did not take away from our cruise (I was afraid it might).  The staff went above and beyond with anything we needed.  The ship was impeccably clean and sanitized.  Our room steward tidied our cabin 2x a day and was great at getting anything we requested.  The only “con” (if any) was I did not think there was as many daytime activities, especially with 7 sea days.  Unless you really like trivia as there was a lot of that.  I missed some

Of the discussions, wished they didn’t replay the same movies several times. We enjoyed our balcony, the deck and relaxed A LOT.  I read 4 books!

Disembarkation: the EASIEST in 20 cruises lol!  We were able to get off at 7am and were in the car at parking garage at 7:20.  A porter helped us with luggage, facial recognition for customs!

Please let me know if you have any questions and I will try my best to answer!

Edited by Love2travel4
  • Like 6

• Love2travel4 changed the title to Just back from 11 nights on the Anthem 01-09 through 01-20

Great review! enjoyed reading it. Sorry to hear about your altered port days and times. Must have been a pain, but you handled it well. Sounds like you are a "go with the flow" person, didn't let the changes affect your enjoyment of the trip. 

• Like 1

Great review. We love Anthem too, and were in Bayonne back in October.

So sorry to hear they are making passengers wait outside in the cold and snow to check in! Seems if airlines can fly a plane full of passengers sitting next to each other, Royal could figure out a way to check in passengers inside that huge building in the winter. 

• Like 1