Best water tour in Puerto Vallarta

back to the islands

I love to snorkel, but hear it isn't great on the Pacific side of Mexico so looking for the best tour to enjoy on the water even if the snorkeling isn't great. Hubby would be fine if he never snorkeled again! lol I'm leaning toward the Yelapa and Majahuitas tour. Anyone know how it is or have other suggestions. We did whale watching last time and loved it, but I am already doing that in Magdalena Bay and Cabo. Also, how cold is the water in PV in early March? Do they provide wet suits or are they needed? 

16 hours ago, back to the islands said:

I love to snorkel, but hear it isn't great on the Pacific side of Mexico so looking for the best tour to enjoy on the water even if the snorkeling isn't great. Hubby would be fine if he never snorkeled again! lol I'm leaning toward the Yelapa and Majahuitas tour. Anyone know how it is or have other suggestions. We did whale watching last time and loved it, but I am already doing that in Magdalena Bay and Cabo. Also, how cold is the water in PV in early March? Do they provide wet suits or are they needed? 

We live in PV during the winter (am on our Condo balcony at the moment) and have long been in love with this part of Mexico.  I have never noticed any normal tour (other than some SCUBA tours) that include wet suits.  The Ocean water seems to be relatively warm (for the Pacific) at the moment and I would say it is now in the high 70s.  I would expect it to drop to the lower 70s by early March but nature often has a way of surprising folks.  As to snorkeling, it is not great in this part of the Pacific (especially when compared to decent places in the Caribbean and South Pacific) although some folks do seem to find enjoyment.  DW and I have our own decent snorkel gear but leave it at our USA home when we come to PV during the winter.  When we first started living here (16 years ago) we did bring our snorkel gear but quickly realized that the waters were not up to our usual snorkel standards.  But I am sure there are others who disagree.

Yelapa is a somewhat isolated village and its beach always attracts folks for day trips.  Many cruisers (and some folks who live here) enjoy going to Las Caletas for the day (or the evening Rhythms of the Night Tour) since they have a well manicured beach with various support services (rest rooms, food, bar, etc).  

Hank

@Hlitner, would you recommend Las Caletas over the Yelapa/Majahuitas? I tend to like less crowds. Thanks so much for your input! Do you have any knowledge if the tours in the Sea of Cortez and Cabo offer wetsuits? I know that water will be too cold for me. Wondering if I need to try and buy one and then find room for it. Yikes! Enjoy your balcony and the beautiful whales!

8 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

@Hlitner, would you recommend Las Caletas over the Yelapa/Majahuitas? I tend to like less crowds. Thanks so much for your input! Do you have any knowledge if the tours in the Sea of Cortez and Cabo offer wetsuits? I know that water will be too cold for me. Wondering if I need to try and buy one and then find room for it. Yikes! Enjoy your balcony and the beautiful whales!

I would not be so bold as to recommend between those tour options since everyone has their own wants/needs.  Las Caletas is a well manicured private facility that many folks find to their liking.  Yelapa is a real village which has gradually become a major tourist destination.  I guess in the early years it was a very genuine place (they did not even have electricity) but after years of tourism some of that genuineness has been replaced with a more tourist oriented village.  Since we do not live in the Sea of Cortez (or near it) or Cabo I cannot even comment.  The only time we have visited Cabo has been on a few cruises and we always enjoyed our day doing our own thing.

Hank

• Like 1

There are dive shops in Lareto where you can get a wet suit and book your snorkeling trip...the water was too cold for us to snorkel so we didn't... Lareto is cute, but it may be worth your time and money to hire a taxi to go to the Mission in the hills.  I understand the fare is quite reasonable and it is not that long of a drive.  

As for PV, definitely stick with a Princess ship excursion...We literally almost missed the boat (15 minutes passed the all back on board) and were greeted at the gangplank by 4 officers in white, including the head security Phil who had our passports and wallets in hand.  The Mexican excursion we took to Yalepa had decent snorkeling en route but then the trip back to the ship was literally right out of a James Bond movie.  We initially paid for the snorkeling trip to los Arcos, but they switched us to Yalepa vowing to getting up back on time.   In addition, the time on the ship was not the same time on the land...so unnecessarily confusing!!!!  Have a great time!

19 hours ago, GlobetrotterD said:

As for PV, definitely stick with a Princess ship excursion...We literally almost missed the boat (15 minutes passed the all back on board) and were greeted at the gangplank by 4 officers in white, including the head security Phil who had our passports and wallets in hand.  The Mexican excursion we took to Yalepa had decent snorkeling en route but then the trip back to the ship was literally right out of a James Bond movie.  We initially paid for the snorkeling trip to los Arcos, but they switched us to Yalepa vowing to getting up back on time.   In addition, the time on the ship was not the same time on the land...so unnecessarily confusing!!!!  Have a great time!

The ship's time is usually (I think this adjective applies) one hour BEHIIND the shore time in PV.  So if the "all aboard"" is set at 6:00 p.m. Ship's Time, that is 7:00 p.m. local time.  This causes me to get back to the ship too early, not too late.  I don't tell my wife of the time difference, so there is one hour less shopping and we get back early!  

I'm glad you guys got back in time.  I've done the pier run before, but I haven't had a ship's officer waiting to leave my passport on the dock!