March French Polynesia Regatta

Funtravel66

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Today 2/1/22 in Ensenada, Mexico. Crown Princess is there also. What's going on in Ensenada that Regatta would go there empty?

The Regatta has been going there weekly for awhile, then it goes back to Long Beach. I really don't know why but maybe it's to keep the ship's engines in good condition.

If anyone from Oceania is reading this board they must be entertained by all of us trying to figure out what the Regatta is doing.  Lol. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone else having an issue filling out the ETIS form? First, they did not have Oceania on the site. The travel agent informed them and it was added. Now, I can not change the date between the different islands. They want your complete itinerary. I had to send an email to ETIS. I am curious if anyone else is having an issue?

Thanks

Happy to share FP has just relaxed their entry requirements a bit:

Update of the conditions of entry 
to The Islands of Tahiti as February 10, 2022

The French Polynesia Government has decided to relax the entry and health surveillance measures for travelers to French Polynesia, by removing the obligation to carry out an RT-PCR test two days before the departure flight.

Consequently, travelers to The Islands Of Tahiti have to present a COVID 19 negative result of an antigen or RT-PCR test carried out less than 24 hours before their departure for French Polynesia.

The test carried out on arrival at Tahiti airport remains in force for each traveler, however, there will be no additional cost.

Greg

"The test carried out on arrival at Tahiti airport remains in force for each traveler, however, there will be no additional cost."

So does that mean if you've already paid the $50pp ETIS fee, that will be refunded to you?  I thought the reason for the $50pp charge is for the test carried out on arrival at Tahiti airport.  They should if you were on the ball with all the deadlines and registered as soon as your 30 day mark came into effect like me

3 minutes ago, Funtravel66 said:

They may have relaxed the testing, but now they are requiring boosters

They've had that requirement for a while. Plus, finding a place to get a booster is easy; finding a place to get a less than 24hr turnaround in a PCR, not so much.😊

• Like 1

Booster is fine; we're both done.  Just wondering what this ETIS $50 fee is for now. I thought it was to cover the cost of the test that you need to take when you get to Tahiti airport. My question is that if the test is now "free" then why do we need to pay $50 to register our arrival into FP?? 

25 minutes ago, JenniferLY said:

My question is that if the test is now "free" then why do we need to pay $50 to register our arrival into FP?? 

Per the ETIS official website, the fee is a "flat-rate contribution to the health surveillance costs."  Fair enough.  And the text of USNA72's post above doesn't say the airport test is "free."  It says "...no additional cost."  Big difference.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, USNA 72 said:

They've had that requirement for a while. Plus, finding a place to get a booster is easy; finding a place to get a less than 24hr turnaround in a PCR, not so much.😊

Good news: Most major airports (e.g., SFO) have rapid results PCR (<60 minutes).

Bad news: $275+\- per person. (and appts. usually required).

43 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Good news: Most major airports (e.g., SFO) have rapid results PCR (<60 minutes).

Bad news: $275+\- per person. (and appts. usually required).

Better news:  Do NOT need PCR now, Antigen (proctored of course) will do!  The eMed versions are in the $25-$40 range and with the 24 hour turnaround may be doable at your local CVS/Walgreens/etc for even less.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gdlamberth said:

In the FWIW category:  According to Cruisemapper.com, Regatta is now docked at inner harbor in Long Beach vice anchored out in basin.

maybe she is picking up supplies/fuel etc...

31 minutes ago, Funtravel66 said:

I am new to this. What does it mean that it is now in an inner harbor area? Versus in the basin

Good question.  I apologize for confusion.  Please see the attached image.  The port at Long Beach (San Pedro) has several areas as it is a rather large harbor/port.  The World Cruise Center area (where the Regatta and Royal Princess are now) is sometimes referred to as the inner harbor; the area neat the symbol for "port" in the image is sometimes called the outer harbor.  The area inside the seawall/breakwater where all the moorings are is the basin.  For the past several weeks Regatta has been moored in the basin at various spots between her runs down to Ensenada.  The couple of times she moved into the docks she was at the outer harbor.  When I put on my "rose colored" glasses I can see this is where Oceania would prepare Regatta for a South Pacific deployment. 

That, of course, is merely wishful speculation on my part.

Again, sorry for the confusion.

Greg 

image.png.98bbae8d1df0bb88dd5012376752e826.png

19 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And that would be confusing why? Oceania uses San Pedro regularly for cruise embarkation. 

Just that in the previous post Greg had apologized for confusion of inner harbor vs basin, and referred to the "port of Long Beach (San Pedro)" when Regatta is actually in the Port of LA. I often see the two intermixed, but important to know the difference when you are looking for your ship.

28 minutes ago, Vertygo said:

Just that in the previous post Greg had apologized for confusion of inner harbor vs basin, and referred to the "port of Long Beach (San Pedro)" when Regatta is actually in the Port of LA. I often see the two intermixed, but important to know the difference when you are looking for your ship.

One of the problems is that “San Pedro” sounds like the name of a separate city when, in fact, is is a neighborhood of Los Angeles. 

10 hours ago, Vertygo said:

Even more confusing, Regatt is berthed at the Port of Los Angeles, which is actually in San Pedro, & adjacent to the Port of Long Beach.

That is where she normally docks  for cruises

If they need supplies then they have to dock someplace  not hang out on the hook

They have been moving around for  over a year now  not a big deal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

They have been moving around for  over a year now  not a big deal

Yes. For quite awhile, she was docked at the Port of Oakland and, from our solarium, we’d watch her take off every few days out of the Gate for maneuvers et al.. But, when it’s embarkations or a port stop, O uses the Cruise Terminal on the Embarcadero in SF. (BTW, many great restaurants w/i walking distance from the ship).

FWIW: one of the best cruise departures (IMO) is cruising out of SF under the Golden Gate Bridge at sunset. Equally great, arriving in NYC at daybreak. (Just booked this trip for summer 2023)

84A9EDDB-EAE1-41F1-B979-89579DAB4CF7.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Funtravel66 said:

So since the first FP cruise departs March 7, shouldn't the ship be heading that way soon?

Regatta no longer appears on the Port of Los Angeles schedule after 2/18. So, it’s headed somewhere.

FWIW, On one of the many unofficial websites for ports, The Port of Papeete shows Regatta arriving on March 17. That doesn’t mean it won’t be there earlier. Rather, it man’s you may want to do some Google-ing or call O.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

On 2/1/2022 at 1:04 PM, sunlover12 said:

The Regatta has been going there weekly for awhile, then it goes back to Long Beach. I really don't know why but maybe it's to keep the ship's engines in good condition.

If anyone from Oceania is reading this board they must be entertained by all of us trying to figure out what the Regatta is doing.  Lol. 

One answer........Cheap oil and provisions. California is the highest fuel cost in the nation I believe.    

Too  a stationery hull gathers sea critters and plugs up intakes.    The hull is painted with a type of paint  that is designed to wear away...washing it  clean.  But, the ship has to be moving to exfoliate that  layer .   Gotta to keep the hull clean as dirt and critters cause drag and drag causes more fuel to be burned and fuel costs$$$$$

The engines are kept running 24/7 to keep the ships electric needs.

• Thanks 1