PCR - Disembarkation port side process

macfam5

We are cruising with NCL the beginning of March out of San Pedro and I want to make sure I understand everything we have to do before and after - pretty sure I have the before figured out , now for the after,

NCL no longer does the PCR test onboard instead it’s port side after disembarking at our own expense.

Can anyone tell me who has done this how this process goes? The website says we will have results within 90 minutes , we were hoping to fly back to Canada on an afternoon flight.

Worst case scenario one of us tests positive after we arrived at the airport - then what ?? 

This for me is the worst case scenario.   Must quarantine in US for 11 days past positive, or potentially face fines of over $5000.     

Whether NCL or your insurance cover your quarantine costs is another question.    

I don't think you can fly to Canada with a positive.  So your flights need to be changed.

You could fly US Domestic (I have read they don't ask for covid tests) to close to the border and try to drive over, but possibly face the fines above.   

Of course, the rules may change many times between now and your trip - that is the other huge variable.   

Edited by CruisinFinsUp

12 minutes ago, macfam5 said:

We are cruising with NCL the beginning of March out of San Pedro and I want to make sure I understand everything we have to do before and after - pretty sure I have the before figured out , now for the after,

NCL no longer does the PCR test onboard instead it’s port side after disembarking at our own expense.

Can anyone tell me who has done this how this process goes? The website says we will have results within 90 minutes , we were hoping to fly back to Canada on an afternoon flight.

Worst case scenario one of us tests positive after we arrived at the airport - then what ?? 

We will be sailing out of Miami on Feb 2 on the Getaway. We plan to stay at the port until our test results come back. I can report back after our return on Feb 11 re how the whole process worked.

2 minutes ago, adhncruisers said:

We will be sailing out of Miami on Feb 2 on the Getaway. We plan to stay at the port until our test results come back. I can report back after our return on Feb 11 re how the whole process worked.

Thank you that would be appreciated, I was hoping they would’ve continued with the onboard PCR test so we had the results before disembarking 

5 minutes ago, CruisinFinsUp said:

This for me is the worst case scenario.   Must quarantine in US for 11 days past positive, or potentially face fines of over $5000.     

Whether NCL or your insurance cover your quarantine costs is another question.    

I don't think you can fly to Canada with a positive.  So your flights need to be changed.

You could fly US Domestic (I have read they don't ask for covid tests) to close to the border and try to drive over, but possibly face the fines above.   

Of course, the rules may change many times between now and your trip - that is the other huge variable.   

And, I called our insurance carrier. If one of us tests positive and the other negative, expenses for hotel, meals and flight change fees are only covered for the person who tested positive. The other is expected to fly home. That would definitely be a worse case scenario.

We are taking some rapid antigen tests with us and will test ourselves periodically. Not perfect but hopefully will put our minds at ease when we are getting closer to that final return test at the pier.

Just now, macfam5 said:

Thank you that would be appreciated, I was hoping they would’ve continued with the onboard PCR test so we had the results before disembarking 

Same. I thought it was really unfair to change the rule after final payment was made.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adhncruisers said:

And, I called our insurance carrier. If one of us tests positive and the other negative, expenses for hotel, meals and flight change fees are only covered for the person who tested positive. The other is expected to fly home. That would definitely be a worse case scenario.

We are taking some rapid antigen tests with us and will test ourselves periodically. Not perfect but hopefully will put our minds at ease when we are getting closer to that final return test at the pier.

What insurance provider did you go with? We will taking rapids tests with us as well 

1 hour ago, macfam5 said:

What insurance provider did you go with? We will taking rapids tests with us as well 

Manulife COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan for Travelling Canadians. https://www.coverme.com/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians/covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan.html?province=ON&agecode=0

Covers both Covid medical and trip interruption. Good for cruises if fully vax'd.  Cost was reasonable. Can also opt for medical only. Here's the link to the policy details. https://www.manulife-travel.ca/content/dam/cm-travel/pdf/COVID19_Policy.pdf

Our regular yearly insurance won't cover cruises because of the Level 4 travel advisory so this was the next best option short of cancelling.

1 hour ago, adhncruisers said:

Manulife COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan for Travelling Canadians. https://www.coverme.com/travel-insurance/travelling-canadians/covid-19-pandemic-travel-plan.html?province=ON&agecode=0

Covers both Covid medical and trip interruption. Good for cruises if fully vax'd.  Cost was reasonable. Can also opt for medical only. Here's the link to the policy details. https://www.manulife-travel.ca/content/dam/cm-travel/pdf/COVID19_Policy.pdf

Our regular yearly insurance won't cover cruises because of the Level 4 travel advisory so this was the next best option short of cancelling.

I was under the impression If you and your spouse buy this plan from Manu,life Trip Interruption kicks in for both of you based on the clause below in the policy.

B933AB0A-5D1D-42A8-9A2F-FAE79350F830.png

12 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

I was under the impression If you and your spouse buy this plan from Manu,life Trip Interruption kicks in for both of you based on the clause below in the policy.

B933AB0A-5D1D-42A8-9A2F-FAE79350F830.png

That was my read of it as well. So was surprised when I called and got a different answer. Hopefully we won't have to use it but, if it does, I'm sure the people we have to deal with at that time will have the correct info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adhncruisers said:

That was my read of it as well. So was surprised when I called and got a different answer. Hopefully we won't have to use it but, if it does, I'm sure the people we have to deal with at that time will have the correct info.

I now also called Manulife and spoke to an agent.  I received the same response, until I pointed out the clause.  The agent looked it up and then agreed with my interpretation of both of us being covered, and stated Manulife must have updated the policy to include a companion.  He recommended emailing for clarification in writing, which I have done.  I will post the response.  

Edited by wendycook22
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, adhncruisers said:

Here was their response and my follow up and their follow up response (It is Manulife but they are also under SafeVisit): 

SafeVisit <info@safevisit.ca>
Wed 2022-01-26 3:25 PM

Dear Sir/Madam,

That is correct.

Best Regards,

Safevisit.ca

Customer Service Representative

Toll Free: 1-877-541-1117

Tel: (905) 695-1110

www.safevisit.ca

Sent: January 26, 2022 2:36 PM
To: SafeVisit <info@safevisit.ca>
Subject: Re: COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan

Thank you for your response.  

To confirm my husband and I are under the same travel reservation with identical travel dates and arrangements (travel companions).  

If I purchase this policy that will insure myself and my husband as my travelling companion with identical travel arrangements.  If I test positive, and my husband tests negative,  I under current restrictions cannot return to Canada until my 10 day isolation period has ended.  If my husband decides to stay with me during my isolation/quarantine period of 10 days, we would both be entitled to the coverage of $500.00 each for economy class airfare for our return home and $200.00 per person per day.  

Thank you. 

Wendy

Sent: January 26, 2022 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your interest in our product!

1. As long as you are travelling companions the coverage listed in your email will kick in for each insured that will be isolating/under quarantine. Travelling companion means someone who shares trip arrangements with you on any one trip, up to a maximum of three (3) persons. Both would be covered if one tests positive
  2. You do not require to purchase separate policies for each of your benefits to kick in for each insured. For example, each insured would be covered up to $200 per day (to a maximum of $2800 or 14 days) and up to $500 for the flight as listed in the policy terms. As long as you as your purchase policy for both insured(s) and the premiums are paid for both insured(s).
  3. The coverage is limited to the total amount ($2800 at $200 per day) and duration (14 days) stated, there is no limit to how many times you can use the coverage.

Best Regards,

Safevisit.ca

www.safevisit.ca

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wendycook22 said:

Here was their response and my follow up and their follow up response (It is Manulife but they are also under SafeVisit): 

SafeVisit <info@safevisit.ca>
Wed 2022-01-26 3:25 PM

Dear Sir/Madam,

That is correct.

Best Regards,

Safevisit.ca

www.safevisit.ca

Sent: January 26, 2022 2:36 PM
To: SafeVisit <info@safevisit.ca>
Subject: Re: COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan

Thank you for your response.  

To confirm my husband and I are under the same travel reservation with identical travel dates and arrangements (travel companions).  

If I purchase this policy that will insure myself and my husband as my travelling companion with identical travel arrangements.  If I test positive, and my husband tests negative,  I under current restrictions cannot return to Canada until my 10 day isolation period has ended.  If my husband decides to stay with me during my isolation/quarantine period of 10 days, we would both be entitled to the coverage of $500.00 each for economy class airfare for our return home and $200.00 per person per day.  

Thank you. 

Wendy

Sent: January 26, 2022 2:24 PM
Subject: RE: COVID-19 Pandemic Travel Plan

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your interest in our product!

1. As long as you are travelling companions the coverage listed in your email will kick in for each insured that will be isolating/under quarantine. Travelling companion means someone who shares trip arrangements with you on any one trip, up to a maximum of three (3) persons. Both would be covered if one tests positive
  2. You do not require to purchase separate policies for each of your benefits to kick in for each insured. For example, each insured would be covered up to $200 per day (to a maximum of $2800 or 14 days) and up to $500 for the flight as listed in the policy terms. As long as you as your purchase policy for both insured(s) and the premiums are paid for both insured(s).
  3. The coverage is limited to the total amount ($2800 at $200 per day) and duration (14 days) stated, there is no limit to how many times you can use the coverage.

Best Regards,

Safevisit.ca

www.safevisit.ca

Thanks for this. I guess we read it correctly. Let's hope we don't have to use it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2022 at 4:55 PM, macfam5 said:

Now that we are home safe and sound after a wonderful cruise on the Getaway, I can give you details on the port side testing in Miami.

About three days before disembarkation, we went to guest services to enquire about the testing. The staff member added our names to a list that was to be provided to the company hired to conduct the tests. They gave us a letter that had a URL for us to use (no ship wifi required) to register and pay for the test. We then received a QR code from the testing company, Inspire Diagnostics.

When we exited the ship on disembarkation day, we had to first collect luggage (unless doing self-carry) and then clear US customs and immigration. 

After exiting the port building, the testing was set up in front of the parking garage to the right of the NCL terminal. Apparently it opens around the time the ship docks and remains open until about 11:00. We had an early afternoon flight (1:03) so we needed to get our tests done on the earlier side.

There was a line up of about 20 people in front of us and some had not pre-registered so that held things up a bit. Overall, the process moved quickly and took about 30 minutes. We left the ship just before 8:00, cleared customs and completed our test at about 8:40

I asked what kind of molecular test was being administered and was informed that it was a lab PCR. Apparently the company has a lab set up on site to run the tests. 

We decided to wait for our results at the port since we could sit on the benches outside and enjoy the warmth and sunshine. And, without the test results, we couldn't check in for our flight or complete our ArriveCan app anyway.

Our results came about an hour after we took them. So, with results in hand, we grabbed a cab and headed for the Miami airport.

Overall, the process was well organized and easy. Would still have preferred to have the results in hand a couple days earlier but it is what it is.

And, of course the time it takes will depend on how many passengers are getting off the ship (we only had 1,300) and how many require testing. We were also the only NCL ship in port that day.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 6:21 PM, adhncruisers said:

Thank you so much for this link! I went through the process and health questionnaire and was really happy with the quote. We will definitely use Manulife for our May cruise.... the first cruise I think we'll actually get to board in over two years. I based my quote request on the single trip option and for the eight days we expect to be out of Canada, but I'm wondering what happens if one of us gets covid within that eight day coverage period and requires medical treatment that goes beyond the eight days in our policy?