Question on airfare coverage timing

Hello

I am planning to buy trip insurance for a big trip I have planned for the Fall.  If I want it to cover the cost of airfare is there a requirement to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days from paying for the airline ticket?

Thanks, Eva

7 hours ago, evamm said:

Hello

I am planning to buy trip insurance for a big trip I have planned for the Fall.  If I want it to cover the cost of airfare is there a requirement to purchase the insurance within a certain number of days from paying for the airline ticket?

Thanks, Eva

Hi Eva,

Do you want any of these benefits?

- Third party travel supplier financial default

- Pre-existing medical conditions or

- Cancel For Any Reason

If so, yes, there are purchase deadlines after your Initial Trip Deposit Date (https://tripinsurancestore.com/initial-trip-deposit-date/).

Steve Dasseos

Edited by iamtrustworthy
typo

Hi Steve

I dont need pre existing condition and have decided against cancel for any reason. 

I'm not sure what the 3rd party travel supplier refers to.  I have booked my cruises on this trip thru a travel agent and my airfare thru one on the cruise lines. Would that be 3rd party?

Thanks,  Eva

1 hour ago, evamm said:

Hi Steve

I dont need pre existing condition and have decided against cancel for any reason. 

I'm not sure what the 3rd party travel supplier refers to.  I have booked my cruises on this trip thru a travel agent and my airfare thru one on the cruise lines. Would that be 3rd party?

Thanks,  Eva

Hi Eva,

In your case, the cruise line is the 3rd party. 

Here's how Third Party Travel Supplier Financial Default works:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/third-party-travel-supplier-financial-default/

Steve Dasseos

Hi again

Actually I just recalled 2 legs of the cruise I booked directly with Princess but the other 2 are other cruise lines and booked thru a travel agent.  So I understand that there's no third party coverage if Princess goes under.  But I paid the deposit on the other 2 cruises in October thru a travel agent and I paid the airfare last week thru the same travel agent and linked to one of those cruise lines. Is there a deadline on this 3rd party coverage for either the cruises or the air that I need to know about that I haven't already missed?  

Since you asked at the start of this string of messages if I wanted those 3 kinds of coverage, I assume that means canceling for other covered reasons are not date of purchase dependent?

Thanks again,

Eva

Hi Eva,

> Is there a deadline on this 3rd party coverage for either the cruises or the air that I need to know about that I haven't already missed?

Nearly all plans need to be bought within 14-21 days of the deposit. I have one company that doesn't have a deadline.

> Since you asked at the start of this string of messages if I wanted those 3 kinds of coverage, I assume that means canceling for other covered reasons are not date of purchase dependent?

As long as nothing has happened where you would file a claim, you may buy trip cancellation insurance at any time.