Does any travel insurance cover shore excursions not booked with the cruise line?

For a cruise in February we booked an excursion with a tour operator directly. When our cruise line noted that travel at that port is limited to excursions with the cruise line I contacted the tour operator. His response was snippy, and I knew then there would be a problem. He noted in his terms that travel insurance was recommended due to hurricanes and Covid. 

Long story short, he charged us a $100 administration fee to cancel (this was only an option at least 30 days prior which we did). He was also offering "insurance" with him directly for an additional 15%. If we had to cancel, we would be refunded except for the insurance. As that cost was more than the $100, we cancelled. 

Just want to know for myself, are excursions booked with outside tour operators covered under travel insurance? Thanks. And lesson learned for future plans!

6 hours ago, brzymom said:

For a cruise in February we booked an excursion with a tour operator directly. When our cruise line noted that travel at that port is limited to excursions with the cruise line I contacted the tour operator. His response was snippy, and I knew then there would be a problem. He noted in his terms that travel insurance was recommended due to hurricanes and Covid. 

Long story short, he charged us a $100 administration fee to cancel (this was only an option at least 30 days prior which we did). He was also offering "insurance" with him directly for an additional 15%. If we had to cancel, we would be refunded except for the insurance. As that cost was more than the $100, we cancelled. 

Just want to know for myself, are excursions booked with outside tour operators covered under travel insurance? Thanks. And lesson learned for future plans!

Hi Tricia,

You can insure any prepaid non-refundable trip cost with a real Trip Cancellation Travel Insurance plan. Here's what I mean by a "real" one:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-vs-travel-supplier-waiver-plans/

And, here's what trip costs you may insure:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/what-is-your-trip-cost/

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1