Shipload of Love contest winners. Have you received a 1099 Tax Form yet?

sid_9169

I was a winner in the Shipload of Love contest last year, and I was made to understand that by accepting the prize, I would be issued a 1099 for the "value" of the prize. I'm ready to file my taxes, and still haven't received anything. There were a couple more winners who are Cruise Critic members, so I'm hoping that someone who was also a winner happens across this. I've emailed Virgin Voyages about this, but haven't received a reply... Thanks!...

5 hours ago, iluvncl said:

Yes. On 1/16 I received a sketchy looking email from "Tax 1099 Support". Went straight to my spam folder too. Turns out it was my VV contest 1099. Hope you find it there.

I received a similar email, but didn't dare open it for fear that it might be some kind of phishing scam. It wanted me to enter the first four letters of my first name and the last four digits of my SS#... Does this sound like what you received? I've never heard of tax information being emailed, only by official mail. Thanks for the info, maybe I can go back and dig the email up...

Thanks to all of you for the replies... I did just now receive a response from Virgin Voyages saying that it was a legit email. I'm one of those types who questions anything that may put my identity at risk. I guess that I'll open it, and see how much the damage is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pl281 said:

@sid_9169

and they sent an email saying if you didn't travel in 2021 disregard the email and if you cancelled outright disregard - 

I thought that was the case as you didn't get the value until you've actually cruised

I just now went back and opened up the email... The thing that ticks me off, is that the value they placed on the cruise was $2,400, however the price of the cabin that I booked was only about $2,150, and two days prior to sailing, they actually downgraded my cabin. I know that it's probably a waste of time to try and get them to adjust the total amount, as I'm going to owe taxes on vastly more value than I received... What's the saying? Death and taxes...

My wife received a 1099 in the mail and then an email that read never mind you haven't sailed yet.  I had already asked the IRS about prize date versus use date and they could not come up with anyone to tell us what year to claim for sure.

1 hour ago, shoptom said:

My wife received a 1099 in the mail and then an email that read never mind you haven't sailed yet.  I had already asked the IRS about prize date versus use date and they could not come up with anyone to tell us what year to claim for sure.

I assume that if you haven't actually sailed yet, the prize will be due on this year's taxes for next year...

@sid_9169 Correct - Although in talking with my accountant we are going to list it and then back it out with the note that the prize hasn't been claimed yet - this way if the company does end up filing the 1099 (even though the email said they wouldn't) we are covered

• Like 1