Which Beach? Snorkling, fun, maybe Jet Ski

snoopy5512

Hi! I am deciding between Coki/Sapphire/Magens. I am struggling to find info that is more recent on these 3 beaches. Which has the best beach overall, best snorkling, access to water sports like jet skiing or kayaking? Also, which is the easiest to get to from port? Lastly which has the best food options and restrooms? Will be with kids 11 and 8, and husband.

Thanks!!! 

Coki is further away from Crown Bay than Sapphire.  Magans tends to be a bit laid back and the snorkeling is basically non-existent.  Sapphire has decent snorkeling and is a nice beach for just beaching.   Coki probably hits all your points with the jet ski place right across the road.   Coki does get crowded.  

Shop early (taxi to Charlotte Amalie as slim pickings in port) then head for there around 1 or 2, when people from early leaving ships are heading back.

Good feedback from crewsweeper!

Between only these 3 beaches -

Best beach overall? All are beautiful and everyone will have their favorite. Of the 3, our personal favorite for sheer, natural beauty with island views is Sapphire.

Best snorkeling? That is debatable, Magens does not apply.

Water toys? Both Sapphire and Coki.

Easiest to get to from port? Sapphire via southern route. Some taxis take the north, hillier route and drop off at Coki first.

Best food and restrooms? Probably a draw.

For shopping Charlotte Amalie is the best option. You dock at Crown Bay to the west of CA, and Coki and Sapphire are on the east end.

According to VINow only one other ship is scheduled that day (NCL in WICO/Havensight), and she also arrives at 11. So if that is the case, and < 10k fellow cruisers in port, I’d suggest going to the beach first, and hitting CA on the way back to the ship. If you get off the ship early you would be able to find a nice spot at Sapphire, at least. Coki is a much more compact beach so will be more crowded.

If more ships are added and arrive early then you may want to shop first, return to the ship, then just taxi to Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald Beach) since it is close to port. Not known for snorkeling but I have read reports of one area where there are fish. Not sure about snorkel rentals. Good restaurant at the Emerald Resort, a beach bar, lounge/umbrella rentails, and probably the nicest restrooms…

Edited by blue_water

@blue_water This is so helpful! Thank you! I know this is st. Thomas but do you have familiarity with Nassau Bahamas? We are there on 4/11  from 7:00-3:00. My plan is to see the following and do the beach a bit. Because of time I was wondering if we could do cable beach without a pass or if I should stick to junkanoo? We probably wouldn't stay any place long.

Queens Staircase

Government house

Greycliff Manor (Chocolate Factory/cigar rolling)

John Waltings Rum Factory

Lunch

Junkaroo Beach

Brewing Company

Magens, Coki and Sapphire are all beautiful beaches. Magens is probably the most famous beach, has an admittance fee, a nice bar and food option, but no real snorkeling or motorized water sports.

Coki has the best snorkeling, gets crowded, and is not a great family beach do to drug usage. 

Sapphire has good snorkeling and has all sorts of water toys for rent. It is the beach I prefer.