Getting cold feet

Zukini

With our final payment for a Windstar Wind Spirit cruise for May coming up this week, and with the 50% penalty for cancellation kicking in at the end of February, we're thinking we're going to pull the plug on our dream of a Tahiti cruise for this year. Perhaps sometime in the future, if the prices become more reasonable again.

We just went through our insurance policies in detail, and realized that nothing would cover us for quarantine accommodations if either of us tested positive either on arrival in Tahiti, the pre-cruise swab, or the pre-return test.  Too many tests, and too many opportunities for something to go sideways. We would be able to recover a significant portion of our pre-paid expenses, but could get stuck paying for 7-10 days of sitting in a hotel room staring at the sliding door.  

We've also been finding it very difficult to get commitments from the various tour providers, and many of the excursions offered by the ship sold out almost a year ago.

The stars just aren't aligning for this trip, which has already been rescheduled 3 times.  The stress just isn't worth it, so regretfully, we'll likely contact our travel agent in the morning and give her the news.  I just want to say thanks to all of you, and particularly to TBK and Petoonya, who have been so helpful with both advice and encouragement through our ups and downs.

Awwww Zukini. My heart melts for you. I can see where you're  coming from- this hasn't been a happy run. I hope that you'll stick it out till the last possible stomach-able moment but totally understandable if you don't. I've  loved being able to chit-chat with you on these forums and hope to again soon.

We're not giving up, and  we maybe those fools who hang in there too long. Hoo nose, we may see each other again on Wind Spirit in the future. Best to you!

The best insurance policy I've been able to find for quarantine accommodations is Trawick Safe Travels Voyager. I bought this plan for my upcoming Moorea resort trip. Instead of the $2000 trip delay (quarantine) coverage, I added the optional $7000 ($500 per person per day) coverage. That extra coverage only cost an additional $35.

Source: https://portal.trawickinternational.com/news/covid/faq

"Some plans offer trip delay coverage for COVID-19 quarantine expenses, including Safe Travels Voyager Travel Insurance Plan, which offers $2,000 for lodging expenses."

I am doing a land trip right now, instead of a cruise. I will not be cruising during Covid as long as the "Cruise with Confidence" Covid waiver is in the form of a FCC. I want a cash refund if I have to cancel due to covid.

Edited by Mercruiser

We just canceled yesterday our trip on the regatta in March. This point no one really knows if it’s going to go or not. They are acting like it is but, everything can change very quickly. I also am concerned about the multitude of tests that will be required and all it takes is one of us to get a positive with no symptoms, or being in contact with somebody on the ship and then we are stuck. I know that if we went I would worry the entire time so it wouldn’t be enjoyable. This would been our first trip there and I am devastated. But it’s not worth all of the worry and then the chance that the whole trip we spend in a room and not able to see anything

9 hours ago, Funtravel66 said:

I also am concerned about the multitude of tests that will be required and all it takes is one of us to get a positive with no symptoms, or being in contact with somebody on the ship and then we are stuck. 

I still love cruising, but this is another reason I'm doing resorts instead. I don't want to be quarantined on a cruise ship in a basic  cabin because my dinner table mate failed a test.  

Edited by Mercruiser

Mercruiser- the cabins on Wind Spirit are pretty tight. Fine for when you’re active and not quarantined , but claustrophobic if so. Not quite as bad on Regatta. 

Your land trip sounds wonderful.

Funtravel66- sorry about your cruise. Painful to have to cancel. We’ve done the 18 day a few times and it was marvelous. And booked again for 2023. 2023 too far ahead to want to book? Did you get an FCC?