Walkie Talkies on ships?

Beachbumsx3

My son is almost 13. I am a protective mom. I trust my son, not others. I would love to give him "some" freedom but keep him safe. Will the walkie talkies we use when camping work? Will there be too many parents using them to get a channel?

Thanks!

NCL Sun 4/1/06

If you have a responsible 13 year old son I wouldn't think you would need a walkie talkie. I haven't seen any kids even in the 12-14 year old age group ever have them. Most of the time they walk around in a group of friends and hang out. Just make him meet up at a certain time for dinner and different times throughout each day. After a couple hours you will figure out where he spends most of his time and you can just look in on him every once and a while.

But for those of us parents who want to use walkie talkies...........do they work?? It's an awful big ship, the QM2, and would like to give my kids some freedom, but want them to be able to reach me and/or let me know where they are and what they are doing. Any input would be greatly appreciated........but not input that has to do with "How" to parent. Thanks.

We have used walkie talkies on our last three cruises. We have had no problem getting a signal, but we have lots of channel possibilities. We experiment when we first are on board until we find a nice clear channel. If we are in the dining room or a show, we turn them off...but we keep them on out by the pool. We also turn them on when we leave something like the showroom. We find them to be very handy. We upgraded to the rechargeable ones. We plug them in to charge every night. It sure saves recharging and/or changing batteries all of the time. I haven't seen many people using them, but those who have seen mine have said it was a good idea. I have been able to reach my family on deck 11 when I have been down on deck 5. I can't think of any distance further than that. IMHO, you should take them along. I haven't been on a ship quite as big as the QM2, but you haven't much to lose. Have a wonderful vacation! I am s happy for you. She's in the Los Angeles Harbor today, and the TV news channels have been showing some footage of her inside and out. Wow! She's a beauty!

We are taking our 3 kids, 14, 12 and 7, in May. We will be taking walkie talkies along. There was a previous thread that said they work fine, even the cheapies at Walmart. We are taking them for convenience, so we can locate eachother and actually see one another on our vacation! I don't want my 7 year old to feel abandon in the kids camp if he wants to come out by the pool etc. with us.

We use them all the time. My son is 13 yr old now and we will still use them in July. We are going on the Victory. I found on our last 2 cruises there were dead areas where you couldnt get a signal. I have to say on Carnival you see many people(not just kids) carrying them. They even rent them if you want.

We too have rechargable with 5 mi signal. We got them back in 03 and paid $40 at Circuit City. They have been worth it as my son used to use them when he went out to play in our neighborhood prior to cell phone.:rolleyes:

Thank you so much for everyones input! I just found CC after I booked our cruise and I am so addicted to the boards....I think I will pick up some walkie talkies to have and play it by ear. I wish my son had a sibling or friend going with us, but he is very outgoing. I always feel there is safety in numbers. Sounds like he won't have a problem finding a group to run with. Also, I don't think he would feel silly with a walkie talkie if adults use them also.

Thanks Everyone!

Linda

Sun 4/1/06

We have used Motorola 2ways with and eight mile radius, got them from Amazon. Mt daughter is 12 now and we'll be using them again on our next cruise in April.

They worked great on Explorer and Majesty. I'm sure they will perform well on Mariner.

It's just a great way to stay in touch and coordinate activities during the day or evening.:)

Archived