Helicopter Landings - Motion Sickness

jhaasz

I would love to do a helicopter landing onto a glacier as this will probably be the only time I get to Alaska (DH hates to fly - I can't believe he's actually going to go). The problem is, he does get motion sick (and I do a little, also). He's pretty okay on the plane (takes his bonine before takeoff) and I'm fine on the plane. If he's on a long car or bus ride, he really gets motion sick.

So, I guess my question is, is it worth taking the chance? Anyone do a helicopter landing that can help answer my question? I would hate to book it and have him miserable; conversely, I would hate NOT to book it and realize he could have done it.

Thanks.

Have you ever flown in a helicopter? They are incredibly smooth. Truly, the best way to travel. Instead of the "flinging yourself down a runway fast enough to gain lift", a helicopter just kinda lifts off.

My advice is to go for it. The flights are short enough that even if you do have some discomfort, it will be short-lived.

I would have him take something before you go. I don't usually get motion sickness but I find that when I'm in a helicopter I have to really concentrate because it is a little overwhelming. I recently went to the grand canyon in a helicopter and you are flying with ground below you and then all of a sudden poof there is nothing but air below you - the grand canyon. So I had to take a deep breath and concentrate. Same with Alaska. First time in a helicopter so I really had to concentrate. But it isn't hard because of the scenery. Do it you won't regret it!

Take precautions, only advice I can give. I have flown many times with sick passengers. A complete waste of money and endless agony for them. Consult your MD for the best options. Frankly- if that prone, you will need something for the sailing as well. Nip this in the bud before you go. :)

I am with Budget Queen. Don't minimize this. If you are prone to sickness, it will probably be a big factor on a helicopter. I fly regularly and cannot read on a plane, or in a car. I must avoid it and watch movies or out the window or try to sleep. I could fly in a helicopter as long as I watch where we are, but my wife has to take dramamine on a ship, boat and she flies okay on a big plane, but would never survive a little plane/ helicopter ride unless she had a bag in front of her. I would never subject her to it. How do you do on rollercoasters? That will help answer the question also. Again, I can see what's coming, so I do okay, the wife stays off it. Strange suggestion- If you can't determine how sick you would get on an expensive excursion, try a cheap heli flight or small plane near home on a cheap excursion- or cheaper yet, the rollercoaster. (I know you flight lovers will say it's not the same, but to motion-sickness, it gives you some ideas how well you do.)

My wife is fine on large airplanes but can't handle small boats. We took a glacier helicopter tour to Franz Joseph Glacier in New Zealand and it was great. There was no wind and the flight was short. Several years later we took a much longer helicopter tour from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon. There were high winds, a lot of smoke in the air from fires in S. California and the copter jiggled all over the place. Based on the previous flight she had not taken anything beforehand and she was sick several times. So basically YMMV but if you do take the helicopter trip your husband should take something before going. Or you should go on your own.

Do you know what kind of Helicopter will be flying in? I get motion sickness if you look at me the wrong way but I have never had a problem in a helo. Granted, I wasn't in a little Robinson, I was in a big 6 seater Eurocopter. It's one hell of a ride and SO much fun! Do a little research on the type/size/weight of the helo and, like a plane, the bigger ones provide a more stable ride. Good Luck!!

Peppermint lifesavers!!!! They saved mine on a helicopter flight in Hawaii....had I investigated a bit more and learned about all the ups and downs into cliffs or whatever it was he was dipping us into I defininetly would have taken some Bonine. I happened to pick up a wrapped one on the desk b4 we boarded the helo and ended up breaking it into little pieces and sucking on it at worst times, I don't know if it was sheer will or the lifesaver but I didn't get sick.....I am prone to motion sickness also so truly understand what an expensive decision it can be.....having said that I am going to try it again w/ the glacier landing but will take Bonine this time....and have a full pack of the lifesavers w/ me!!! It was interesting as we took our children on a cruise last summer and I didn't get motion sick at all, even w/ our following the path of a developing tropical storm, thank god for stabilizers on the ships! :)

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies!! Believe it or not, he does not suffer much from motion sickness on a cruise (as you can see, we have been on several). If he does feel motion sick (usually in the front of the ship during rough seas), he just takes some bonine and he's fine.

Roller coasters are out of the question!

But - I would hate to have him feeling terrible during something like this (and you never know what the weather will be like in Alaska). It's something I would really like to do but it's no fun when the other party is sick. I think I'll bail and go for the whale watching instead. :)

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies!! Believe it or not, he does not suffer much from motion sickness on a cruise (as you can see, we have been on several). If he does feel motion sick (usually in the front of the ship during rough seas), he just takes some bonine and he's fine.

Roller coasters are out of the question!

But - I would hate to have him feeling terrible during something like this (and you never know what the weather will be like in Alaska). It's something I would really like to do but it's no fun when the other party is sick. I think I'll bail and go for the whale watching instead. :)

Split up and go on your own. Meet up later, it's only a few hours. I do this all the time. If you don't I can already tell, by your "bail" reference, it is a desire of yours and will most likely be a regret. :) Just my opinion, please no flames.

BudgetQueen - Thanks for the tip but, to be honest, I would rather be with him having fun than be without him. We have two kids (who are not going this time around) so it's one of the few chances that we have to spend time and do things together.

Anyone up for some whale watching? :)

I have been on helicopters about half a dozen times. The motion really depends on the weather, especially the wind. If it's windy, which is common near glaciers as the cool air spills down the valley, the chopper can get buffeted quite a bit. In still air, it will be a fairly smooth, calm ride.

Helicopters are quite light and small, and are therefore susceptible to motion due to wind. The sensation is somewhat like sitting on a swing in a high wind. You get the sensation of "hanging" in the air.

Hope that helps.

Neil - Thanks and that helps a lot. We're not going.

I assume that you are in Vancouver. If so, we are thinking about staying at the Radisson and the Hyatt. Any experiences with those hotels?

The Hyatt is a great hotel stay there. I see that you are sailing on the Seranade it's a great ship you will enjoy it. By the way take the helicopter trip there not bouncy it is a ride that you won't forget.

Archived