Speedy's ferry to Virgin Gorda

FastnFurious

Hello,

First time cruiser and we are headed to Tortola in June on the Celebrity Equinox. I am planning to make the trip over to the Baths and I have been looking to make the trip on my own as opposed to taking the cruise excursion. We are scheduled to be in Tortola from 7am-3pm and this seems to present a challenge when it comes to booking the Speedy's ferry over to VG.

The earliest ferry leaves Road Town at 7:45am, with the next one departing at 10:40. The issue is, the return ferry leaves VG at 11:30 and then one at 3:30, which means in order to make it back to the boat in time, the only option is the 11:30 ferry back. Is it possible/likely for us to be off the boat in time to make the 7:45 ferry trip? If I miss that ferry, I am out of luck, as the 10:40 boat would just mean I would reach VG and then turn right back around on the 11:30 return trip. If it's not feasible to make the 7:45 trip, I am going to have to consider the cruise excursion just to make the times work. I am not sure if the times offered by Speedy's change during the year, which could alter my plans as well. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes experiencing VG and the Baths in a meaningful way is the most-discussed topic on these forums…The vast majority do just that, taking the cruise line excursion, and deal with the crowd that they are a part of. Those with much longer port times sometimes have the luxury of seeing other areas of the island, and enjoying the Baths after the excursions have already been.

There are private and shared powerboat options like Patouche and Ocean Magic Mitch that deliver you directly to the Baths rather than you having to be dropped at the marina and taxi over. But you’d probably be looking at a private charter with your port times. Perhaps you can contact Joe at Patouche to see if there is indeed that option, and if so wrangle another couple or two from your Roll Call to share the cost…

You can also find charter groups who are sponsors on the BVI forum on TTOL -
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/7/1/british-virgin-islands.html

Edited by blue_water
Added TTOL link

• 2 weeks later...

Would using the ferry independently work with port times 6am-1pm (for NCL ENCORE next week - March 24th)?

Could we take 7:45a ferry to VG and 11:30a back to Road Town or would it be too tight/risky on the way back?

I read some past threads but they are from a few years ago, hoping someone might have a more recent experience...

• 1 month later...

Just returned from the BVI.  The ferry runs are not as frequent and are at reduced capacity because of COVID.  Definitely be at docks half hour before your trip and book tickets on line before hand.  I would take a ship excursion to have maximum time there.  Also keep in mind a taxi is needed to get you to and from the baths to Spanish Town.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:32 PM, FastnFurious said:

Hello,

First time cruiser and we are headed to Tortola in June on the Celebrity Equinox. I am planning to make the trip over to the Baths and I have been looking to make the trip on my own as opposed to taking the cruise excursion. We are scheduled to be in Tortola from 7am-3pm and this seems to present a challenge when it comes to booking the Speedy's ferry over to VG.

The earliest ferry leaves Road Town at 7:45am, with the next one departing at 10:40. The issue is, the return ferry leaves VG at 11:30 and then one at 3:30, which means in order to make it back to the boat in time, the only option is the 11:30 ferry back. Is it possible/likely for us to be off the boat in time to make the 7:45 ferry trip? If I miss that ferry, I am out of luck, as the 10:40 boat would just mean I would reach VG and then turn right back around on the 11:30 return trip. If it's not feasible to make the 7:45 trip, I am going to have to consider the cruise excursion just to make the times work. I am not sure if the times offered by Speedy's change during the year, which could alter my plans as well. Thanks in advance!

Didn’t really answer your question about making the 7:45 ferry - are you still planning on trying that? If so you should be fine. You would walk there but just get off as early as possible…And of course get in line early for the 11 return…

• 4 weeks later...

We did this last week.  We were off the ship by 7:15 and it is about a 10-15 walk to the port.  Pay for the ferry ON the ferry and masks are mandatory.  They will not give you one if you don't have one, so be prepared.  I think my husband and I paid around $75.00 round trip, which included transportation down to the Baths and back to the ferry port.  They will give you a wristband to wear so they know you have paid.  We had no trouble making the 11 am shuttle back to the port for the 11:30 ferry back to Road Town.  I will say that going through the Caves (the major attraction) took FOREVER (it was extremely crowded, and you have to wait in line) and I was starting to freak out a little, but we made it through with plenty of time to spare.  It was not hard to do on our own, and definitely worth the trip. Have a fabulous time!