Amalfi Coast - on your own?

Yes. We did this on a Crown Odyssey cruise that called in Sorrento. From Naples, it would also be doable although its a longer drive. It is very helpful to have a good map (we always use Michelin). Driving in Italy is always an "experience" but we have managed more than 1000 miles of driving and stayed in one piece. Rentals in Italy should always include full insurance and its a good idea to have a zero deductable (I am not sure if this is the law, but its common practice). An International License (you can get them at AAA) is a good idea although the rental car companies do not require anything other than a US license. If you do get stopped by the police, the International License could be helpful.

Hank

If you drive the Amalfi Coast Highway South of Sorrento please be advised that this is a two lane road with LOTS of twists and turns and absolutely spectacular scenery. I personally would not want to be stuck driving instead of looking! Also be aware that because of their size and the width of the road that tour buses have the right of way on curves when approaching you.Frankly you might be better off on one of the tour buses so that you can all enjoy some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.....

Rick,24 cruises and counting! Next cruise- #25-Riverboat cruise from Amsterdam to Vienna in July '04

I agree with Flick, I think that a car for one day would be a pain considering the horrendous traffic in summer and twisting roadways.

In April we hired a taxi for 210 euros (Minivan 240) for an eight hour tour. Why not find another couple or two who share your interests and must-see sights ? It would probably work approximately equal to your car rental without the hassles.

I also agree with Peter and Flick.

We spent a week in Positano a couple of years ago and went for a local bus ride to Ravello. We had been using the ferries all week and felt like a change.

Coming back a Tour bus and our bus arrived on the same curve. Our local bus had to reverse back about 200 metres or so, plus all the cars behind us, and let the Tour bus through. It was so scary as we were on the sea side of the bus and I am sure our back wheels were over the edge!

Use a taxi or limousine and let them drive. Also they know the quick way back along the freeway. You don't want to get caught in the horrendous traffic snarls and miss the boat like some C.C. members did last year. They ended up having to fly to Athens to catch the ship.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Archived