Kids Club 2022

ltlqtgrl

Hello!

I'll be taking my kids (ages 6 and 8 ) on their first cruise during their Spring Break (April 17 - Discovery Princess California Costal).  Has anyone recently taken their kids on a cruise and used the kids club?  If so, is there anything different/new we should expect?  The kids are really excited to finally get on their cruise after the last 3 we booked were cancelled.  Any other tips or tricks for cruising with kids on Princess/Royal class ships?

Thank you!!

• Like 1

We just took our 6 and 8 year old granddaughters on the Caribbean Princess. I'm not sure how relevant their experience will be for a cruise on the brand new Discovery but they absolutely loved it!

Our cruise was the first week in January when their school was on break but most others weren't so they were 2 of about 5 kids in the club. There were lots of arts and crafts and there was a "curriculum" from Princess' partnership with National Geographic.

We took the cruise to spend time with them but they mostly just begged to go to the club. BTW - they are required to wear masks at all times in the club so bring plenty.

23 minutes ago, chamima said:

We just took our 6 and 8 year old granddaughters on the Caribbean Princess. I'm not sure how relevant their experience will be for a cruise on the brand new Discovery but they absolutely loved it!

Our cruise was the first week in January when their school was on break but most others weren't so they were 2 of about 5 kids in the club. There were lots of arts and crafts and there was a "curriculum" from Princess' partnership with National Geographic.

We took the cruise to spend time with them but they mostly just begged to go to the club. BTW - they are required to wear masks at all times in the club so bring plenty.

Thank you for sharing! I'm going on Ruby Princess to Alaska with my kids ages 10 and 6 in June.

@chamima I guess with the small numbers you didn't have to sign up in advance or be limited to just an hour or two? I've read that is the case with some other cruise lines.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience @chamima!!  I'm anticipating there won't be many kids on their cruise either as they have a late spring break.  They have been very excited watching the Discovery's progress on social media with me.  They also love crafts and will be very excited about that.  We've planned for the masks - we live in LA County which is still under mask mandate indoor and outdoor so they are used to having to wear a mask for the day too.

@woostergirl I signed my kids up already in the cruise personalizer just in case.  We are headed to Alaska in July and are hoping things will be a little closer to normal then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ltlqtgrl said:

Thank you so much for sharing your experience @chamima!!  I'm anticipating there won't be many kids on their cruise either as they have a late spring break.  They have been very excited watching the Discovery's progress on social media with me.  They also love crafts and will be very excited about that.  We've planned for the masks - we live in LA County which is still under mask mandate indoor and outdoor so they are used to having to wear a mask for the day too.

If you happen to run into a housekeeping supervisor named Gheorge send him a huge hug from Allan and Karen. (He'll know) He is really special person and is always on the rollouts of the new ships.

15 hours ago, pklein9747 said:

We're taking our 3 grandkids on the Caribbean Princess at the end of June.  It would be great if you could post your experiences at the kid's club so we know what to expect.  Thanks!

I don't know how old your grandchildren are but if they're small there's a great water play area on the aft on deck 16 or 17 that I don't think any other ship has.

What's also wonderful is that there is a small pool and a bar just adjacent so the adults watching the kids are accommodated too!

4 hours ago, chamima said:

I don't know how old your grandchildren are but if they're small there's a great water play area on the aft on deck 16 or 17 that I don't think any other ship has.

What's also wonderful is that there is a small pool and a bar just adjacent so the adults watching the kids are accommodated too!

Thanks for info.  The grands are 3, 8 & 9.  Perfect!!

On 2/11/2022 at 8:01 AM, chamima said:

If you happen to run into a housekeeping supervisor named Gheorge send him a huge hug from Allan and Karen. (He'll know) He is really special person and is always on the rollouts of the new ships.

On 2/12/2022 at 3:03 PM, pklein9747 said:

We're taking our 3 grandkids on the Caribbean Princess at the end of June.  It would be great if you could post your experiences at the kid's club so we know what to expect.  Thanks!

We will definitely keep an eye out!!

And yes, I will absolutely share our experiences once we return!! 

We were booked on Sky Princess for May, but have been told our 9 year old needs to be fully vaccinated. As he is not eligible for jab as he is under 12 we are having to cancel this cruise.

Shame Princess hasn't been open about this policy. We were all so looking forward to this cruise - if anyone has any details of this rule possibly changing, please do let me know! ..thanks! 

38 minutes ago, jenmbobbs said:

We were booked on Sky Princess for May, but have been told our 9 year old needs to be fully vaccinated. As he is not eligible for jab as he is under 12 we are having to cancel this cruise.

Shame Princess hasn't been open about this policy. We were all so looking forward to this cruise - if anyone has any details of this rule possibly changing, please do let me know! ..thanks! 

I know it has been posted on the US website since sailing restarted because we have a July cruise planned with our 2 kids, their spouses and our granddaughters 7 and 2 and I have been following the protocols since then. The 7 year old is fully vaccinated but it now looks like the 2 year old will not be unless the FDA changes the review timeline again (and soon). A decision will need to be made whether grandma and grandpa go with just one family or just cancel all 3 cabins before final payment in 6 weeks.  This was to be the replacement cruise for the same itinerary and cabins cancelled for July 2020.  Who could have foreseen this 2 years ago!

36 minutes ago, capriccio said:

I know it has been posted on the US website since sailing restarted because we have a July cruise planned with our 2 kids, their spouses and our granddaughters 7 and 2 and I have been following the protocols since then. The 7 year old is fully vaccinated but it now looks like the 2 year old will not be unless the FDA changes the review timeline again (and soon). A decision will need to be made whether grandma and grandpa go with just one family or just cancel all 3 cabins before final payment in 6 weeks.  This was to be the replacement cruise for the same itinerary and cabins cancelled for July 2020.  Who could have foreseen this 2 years ago!

Capriccio - The 2 year old is too young for the kid's club anyways. I think the minimum age is 3.

If he/she isn't eligible for vaccination i think they are still allowed to sail. I know i saw at least one very small toddler on our cruise that couldn't have been vaccinated.

You either need to call a supervisor at Princess or, if you have a TA that does a lot of Princess bookings , ask them to call someone who would know. I'm leery of asking the reps who answer the phone because they don't seem to know much but are more than willing to give you an answer, whether or not it's informed.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jenmbobbs said:

The problem is that 9 year olds ARE eligible to get the vaccine in the US. So Princess counts that age as one that needs to be vaccinated. Maybe the UK will authorize the vaccine for 5- 12 soon????

EDIT:

I just checked and your 9 year old IS currently eligible to be vaccinated in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-regulator-approves-use-of-pfizerbiontech-vaccine-in-5-to-11-year-olds

Edited by chamima

19 hours ago, chamima said:

The problem is that 9 year olds ARE eligible to get the vaccine in the US. So Princess counts that age as one that needs to be vaccinated. Maybe the UK will authorize the vaccine for 5- 12 soon????

EDIT:

I just checked and your 9 year old IS currently eligible to be vaccinated in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-regulator-approves-use-of-pfizerbiontech-vaccine-in-5-to-11-year-olds

It's been confirmed today that all non vunerable children can have the vaccine  but we simply don't have the time period for 2 doses and 14 day grace period before we travel. 

We've cancelled and rebooked with RC.