How does the Sun compare to the Diamond and Coral?

skarletohara

We can't decide which ship to take for our upcoming Alaska cruise.

WE've been on the Golden, Star, Diamond and soon the Sapphire.

I know that the Sun is the oldest ship in the fleet, but from the reviews

it seems to be a nice ship. It's easier for us to fly to Seattle which is

why the Sun is appealing. However, I'm concerned that they don't have

an enclosed pool. I can't tell from the diagrams.

We've been to Alaska before on celebrity, inside passage, and we're down

to two choices, the Coral out of Anchorage southbound OR the Sun Princess

round trip out of Seattle. We've seen the glaciers before and although they're beautiful, it's not a necessity for this forthcoming cruise.

Also, we can get a balcony on the Sun for less than it would cost us

to fly to Anchorage with cruise included. On that itinerary we will only go

for the ocean view cabin, not balcony, because of the extreme jump in price.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Actually, Regal Princess is the oldest ship in the fleet. Sun Princess is just over 10 years old and she’s in her prime. While I haven’t been on the ship in a while, I have no doubt that she is taken care of with the same attention to detail as the other ships in the fleet. I just got off Dawn Princess in December and if I didn’t know better, I wouldn’t be able to tell that she’s 9 years old.

Sun Princess does not have a covered pool (unless you count the overhang on the aft pool – it’s not enclosed) and she doesn’t present the number of amenities the larger ships do. So if amenities are a reason for your cruise, you might want to consider the bigger ships. If you’re looking for a good solid cruise experience, Sun Princess will fit the bill.

I have done both the Coral and Sun Princess in Alaska, and enjoyed both.

If you like all the new, modern parts of cruising - the Coral is your ship.

The Sun Princess reminds me of Traditional Cruising or what is left today of Traditional Cruising. The ship isn't going to wow you but it has this great comfortable feeling to it and a very good layout. It isn't flashy like the newer ships but it has a lot of class and that speaks a lot for the ship.

The Sun Princess does not have an inside pool. The balconies are also small compared to the Grand and Coral ships. They are all covered which is nice (they are cut from the hull). The Sun also has an incredible deck up front for viewing which is fantastic.

If given the option of the Sun or Coral - I would probably choose the Coral but I really do like the Sun Princess (have sailed on it 3x) and I would definitely sail the Sun Princess again. I would pick the Sun Princess over the Grand/Golden Princess.

I don't think you can go wrong with your decision here.

FYI - stay away from any quad balcony cabins on the Sun Princess....If you are accidently upgraded to this type of cabin, have your TA change it immediately.

It depends what is more important to you.

My Aunt has gone on both Coral and Sun and liked both. True, the Sun wont have as many new features yet it isnt a bad ship. Whats more important for you? Convience and cost of leaving out of Seattle, or the covered pool and extra things on Coral Pincess?

Coral, what is it about the quad cabins that present a problem?

The quad balcony cabins do not have any beds - it is like a couch bench like that is out all the time and the remaining three benches pull out from the wall. It is the stranget thing I have ever seen and it is only on the Sun class quad balcony cabins.

I would rate the three in descending order:

1. Coral Princess, a beauty.

2. Sun Princess, well laid out, with super mini-suites.

3. Diamond Princess, too damn big.

I am not a fan of the mega-ships.

Regal Princess, which you did not originally list, is a great ship, and you get the thrill of sailing out of San Francisco Bay, and under the magnificent Golden Gate Bridge.

I sailed the Sun to Alaska a few years back and I have to say it was wonderful! We had a mini-suite which was incredibly nice....marble bath, walk in closet, seperate sitting area, two balcony doors..I was in heaven. I have also sailed the Diamond and it was nice but I had a standard balcony room and it in no way compared to the Sun's mini suite.

Archived