Back to Back guarantees assigned two different staterooms...

Accessor

Booked B2B on Silver Spirit this summer Baltic/med one 15 and one 9 days and had our TA link the bookings on our reservations. This was a guarantee, we are not super picky about location or cabin deck as they are all amazingly large....and now the WTH moment. They assigned us two different cabins for each segment.

I was able to find a site that allowed me to see open cabins; they have many options that are open both legs (50+ cabins). Really don't understand how hard is it for those in cabin assignment department to notice we are marked B2B and give us one cabin for the entire cruise, but this is really not going to work for us. I know, you choose a guarantee blah blah blah. It's not like the ship is full and they have no other options, which we would totally understand and accept our fate of moving cabins during our 24 day stay.

We emailed our TA asking for help and they were scolding us about booking guarantees...anyone else book multiple segment b2b guarantees with better luck?

Others can chime in here, but from what I’ve read you have to pack all of your belongings and leave your suite between voyages for cleaning and sanitizing. So, what does it matter that you will be in a different suite on the next voyage? While pre-Covid I could understand your frustration, in this current environment I don’t.

1 minute ago, brimary said:

After 20+ years of back to back cruising with Silversea between 30 and 70 days per annum we have never been asked to pack our cases on changeover days and long may the policy continue!

If it is covid related sanitising whats not to like!

I believe, from what others have said on these boards (Spins et al), that you have to leave your suite for a few hours on turnaround day during a B2B but you do not have to pack up your stuff.

And to the OP, speak firmly to whoever you booked the cruise with and ask them to ask SS to see if they can accommodate you in the same cabin for both legs. You rather imply you didn't book through your TA which seems a bit odd to me? If it was your TA, it's their job to sort it out. Even though you were perhaps a little optimistic to book guarantees for a B2B, it's still their job to sort it out. Keep asking.

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 2

It might help if the OP could clarify which cruises we are talking about. If, as I suspect, they are a fifteen day Black Sea cruise and a nine day Adriatic cruise, they are, at least on the UK version of the website, also offered as a single, 24 day cruise. Perhaps it would be possible to re-book on that basis.

Johnny

We leave Thursday for a BtoB Antarctica cruise and we are in two different staterooms.  I asked Silverseas to put us in one and they said no.  I will ask again on Sunday when we arrive in Punta Arenas.  We, too  were in a guarantee as this cruise has been  cancelled and rescheduled multiple times, on different ships.

• Like 1

Sorry Black Sea (*not Baltic) on Silver Spirit May 24th followed June 8th.

Leaving ship for sanitation is no issue. The May 24th sailing of 15 days is nearly wide open probably b/c of the uncertainty in the area at the moment. The 2nd leg 9 days fuller. But either way, we did message our TA that we want one cabin for 24 days and don't want to move...especially since they have many options of open cabins.

Funny thing is this. If we booked 24 days as ONE booking, it was nearly $5k more vs booking 2 B2B since they provide a 5% discount and one leg is port to port the other door to door. I would have gladly kept this as one 24 day booking...You may want to check booking B2B vs longer single booking numbers that are a combination of several legs.

Thank you for all the replies.

1 hour ago, sloopjohnb said:

It might help if the OP could clarify which cruises we are talking about. If, as I suspect, they are a fifteen day Black Sea cruise and a nine day Adriatic cruise, they are, at least on the UK version of the website, also offered as a single, 24 day cruise. Perhaps it would be possible to re-book on that basis.

Johnny

For nearly $5k more same exact cruises combined as one booking. Price out the 2 legs as B2B taking one as door2door the other as port2port. We did and were shocked that this one 24 day booking provided no savings (*why not incentivize pax to book longer sailings) it was MORE expensive as one door2door 24 day cruise!

Hopefully SS sees this mistake and fixes it in the future so paxs don't need to go thru the hassle of booking separately due to the surcharge for the pleasure of a simple single booking number.

1 hour ago, Accessor said:

For nearly $5k more same exact cruises combined as one booking. Price out the 2 legs as B2B taking one as door2door the other as port2port. We did and were shocked that this one 24 day booking provided no savings (*why not incentivize pax to book longer sailings) it was MORE expensive as one door2door 24 day cruise!

Yes, I see what you mean. In GBP too the longer cruise seems to be more expensive!

1 hour ago, Accessor said:

Sorry Black Sea (*not Baltic) on Silver Spirit May 24th followed June 8th.

Easy mistake to make! Our Foreign Secretary, the person reponsible for all our diplomats, embassies, consular services and international relations did the same thing just before she went to give the Russians a real telling off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I believe, from what others have said on these boards (Spins et al), that you have to leave your suite for a few hours on turnaround day during a B2B but you do not have to pack up your stuff.

And to the OP, speak firmly to whoever you booked the cruise with and ask them to ask SS to see if they can accommodate you in the same cabin for both legs. You rather imply you didn't book through your TA which seems a bit odd to me? If it was your TA, it's their job to sort it out. Even though you were perhaps a little optimistic to book guarantees for a B2B, it's still their job to sort it out. Keep asking.

Correct. On changeover day, we had to gather in the panarama lounge where they did an antigen test. During this time the suites were sanitised and nothing needed to leave the room. All quite harmless. This was between 10 and 12 quite seemless really apart from the test and country regulations meant you couldn't leave the ship at 08.30 for a day long excursion.

As a point of reference:

When we cruised in December (on the Whisper) we did have to vacate the suite for covid sanitizing but we DID NOT have to pack up our belongings. It was the same procedure in June (on the Moon). Both cruises were B2B. 

I would not want to move but we have done it before for various reasons. The butler and suite attendant were able to assist and it was all done quickly. The drawers were able to be swapped, the clothes on hangers put on a trolley. All other stuff in a bin. We moved the contents of the safe. 

Fortunately nothing more than a little inconvenience of time. 

Edited by spinnaker2

1 minute ago, spinnaker2 said:

As a point of reference:

When we cruised in December (on the Whisper) we did have to vacate the suite for covid sanitizing but we DID NOT have to pack up our belongings. It was the same procedure in June (on the Moon). Both cruises were B2B. 

I would not want to move but we have done it before for various reasons. The butler and suite attendant were able to assist and it was all done quickly. The drawers were able to be swapped, the clothes on hangers put on a trolley. All other stuff in a bin. We moved the contents of the safe. 

Moving is a pain.... My wife had 6 suites on the Panama cruise. Must be a record. I was lagging behind on 3. 

The Spirit has the same unbooked cabins on both legs of our 24 day trip;  but someone at Silversea cabin assignment dept decided to give us 2 different rooms on each leg of our B2B trip. It's has nothing to do with any Covid cleanup of room during changeover day...leaving the room is not a problem. Changing rooms is.

Really just annoys me to no end. The fact is if you book both segments together as one 24 day cruise (which they offer) we were getting charge nearly $5k more for the same trip in same cabin category...which is why we changed our booking to B2B vs one 24 day booking.

Silversea are you reading this forum?

3 hours ago, Accessor said:

Funny thing is this. If we booked 24 days as ONE booking, it was nearly $5k more vs booking 2 B2B since they provide a 5% discount and one leg is port to port the other door to door. I would have gladly kept this as one 24 day booking

You may have lucked into being undercharged, as they normally deny the b2b discount if you are booking a segment of a longer voyage. The code to identify a segment is an "S" followed by 2 digits at the end of the voyage ID. Maybe you don't want to stir this pot!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

You may have lucked into being undercharged, as they normally deny the b2b discount if you are booking a segment of a longer voyage. The code to identify a segment is an "S" followed by 2 digits at the end of the voyage ID. Maybe you don't want to stir this pot!

Yes, I was lucky enough to price this trip out as B2B! Save me over $5k for using a calculator (math classes really paid off) 🙂

ALL PRICES BELOW FROM Silversea website directly (USA)

Booking this as one 24 day cruise SL220524C24. D2D Veranda $20,900/pp = $41,800

Booking two segments B2B (using B2B 5% discount). 1st segment SL220524015  Port2Port $10,150/pp. 2nd segment D2D SL220608009 $9,100/pp. Total for 2 pax both segments $38,500. Less 5% B2B discount. $36,575.

So my buttons say this is $5,225 cheaper for the same cruise, same cabin, etc. Hope others do the math....

I think we're booked on that same sailing (at least for now as we're considering canceling a leg). We booked onboard over the holidays and were assigned two different rooms at that time. Given what you said about the current occupancy on the second leg, we may have to reach out to our TA and see if we can switch rooms to avoid the move.

I think the issue with booking it with the mix of D2D and P2P is that the terms and conditions are much less favorable on your P2P booking and should you need to cancel that leg, you'll lose the deposit. Will you have to pay air deviation fees since your flights would be booked in alignment with the dates and embarkation/debarkation cities for one of the cruises?

We've been going back and forth on which way to book. I really despise this new pricing model, so I'm all for finding different solutions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jollyjones said:

4 hours ago, les37b said:

Correct. On changeover day, we had to gather in the panarama lounge where they did an antigen test. During this time the suites were sanitised and nothing needed to leave the room. 

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

As a point of reference:

Thanks everyone.  I totally misunderstood the B2B as written by Spins, Chas, and others here, and was completely wrong. Appreciate you for making the correction for the OP!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, geekgirl23 said:

We've been going back and forth on which way to book. I really despise this new pricing model, so I'm all for finding different solutions. 

It's in poor taste to penalize us for booking this as a continuous 24 day voyage to the tune of an extra 15% surcharge  vs reward us  (making it more work for everyone involved) and booking them as B2B...Stop the madness! 🙂

• Thanks 1

WE were B2B on the moon over last Xmas & never had to move out of the cabin, Just like Spins we just had to vacate for awhile. The one time we did have to move we lost a suitcase.

Another time when we booked 3 voyages together the t/a booked them separately & saved $5,000.00.

Moving mid-cruise is indeed a pain and seems completely unnecessary if the ship is not yet booked full.  I cannot imagine how this would make sense for SS. Maybe it is just a computer error residual, and input error that staff are hesitant to override because it would mean potential risk and time?

As noted, stuff can disappear intramove (I believe LesW's wife lost a whole bag of expensive shoes on a move!).  But , IF required,  to save $5000, I would do it, and go through the headache of two bookings. For $500 -- no.  

I just wouldn't let the staff move anything I really wanted to be sure and see again unless I accompanied them (which is what we did on the Crystal Endeavor mid-cruise, when the AC in our suite, and other things,  were malfunctioning for three days).  It took up several hours of what would have been relaxation time, but I felt confident nothing would disappear.

• Like 1