Mobility impaired on Greek island tours and Athens

Petenviv

Although I do not use a wheelchair I do usually use a rollator ( walker with wheels) which has a seat. I can mange some steps/stairs with a stick and walk approx 50m with stick but do need to sit frequently after each few minutes, also likely to fall behind a group going at speed.  2 questions....if I join organised tours can I fit my foldable walker with me and get it out at each stop, and also is it possible to actually push one over the ground of sites which are visited.  We do like to see the usual sights and historical sites but can't  really afford to pay for personal disabled tours at each port.

On 2/18/2022 at 10:37 AM, Petenviv said:

Although I do not use a wheelchair I do usually use a rollator ( walker with wheels) which has a seat. I can mange some steps/stairs with a stick and walk approx 50m with stick but do need to sit frequently after each few minutes, also likely to fall behind a group going at speed.  2 questions....if I join organised tours can I fit my foldable walker with me and get it out at each stop, and also is it possible to actually push one over the ground of sites which are visited.  We do like to see the usual sights and historical sites but can't  really afford to pay for personal disabled tours at each port.

In Athens, the Acropolis is fully accesible to the handicapped.  You must go to the main entrance closest to the Parthenon, not the one by the Plaka.  Best to take a taxi there. Do buy your tickets online before you go so you can skip the ticket office line.  Here is the map to the main entrance/ticket office:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Γραφείο+Έκδοσης+Εισιτηρίων+Ακρόπολης/@37.969666,23.7247384,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x14a1bd380744d5c7:0x98c80fd98605c7e1!8m2!3d37.9713566!4d23.7234554?hl=en

After going trough the ticket gates, follow the signs to the elevator (lift) or ask any of the personnel for assistance.  The elevator is attended and it takes you to the top.  Persons who are visibly impaired (walker, wheelchair, etc.) are immediately allowed on it.  Just in case, persons without visible impairments (heart condition, etc.) should have some handicapped proof or letter to make access easier.  Your companion is, of course, allowed to ride with you. 

Once you are on top, most of the paths around the monuments have been paved for easy walking.  At the end of the visit return to the elevator.  Once you exit, there are plenty of taxis to take you wherever you are going next.

You should list the other ports you are visiting for specific comments on each.

Edited by marazul

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2022 at 5:01 PM, marazul said:

In Athens, the Acropolis is fully accesible to the handicapped.  You must go to the main entrance closest to the Parthenon, not the one by the Plaka.  Best to take a taxi there. Do buy your tickets online before you go so you can skip the ticket office line.  Here is the map to the main entrance/ticket office:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Γραφείο+Έκδοσης+Εισιτηρίων+Ακρόπολης/@37.969666,23.7247384,17z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x14a1bd380744d5c7:0x98c80fd98605c7e1!8m2!3d37.9713566!4d23.7234554?hl=en

After going trough the ticket gates, follow the signs to the elevator (lift) or ask any of the personnel for assistance.  The elevator is attended and it takes you to the top.  Persons who are visibly impaired (walker, wheelchair, etc.) are immediately allowed on it.  Just in case, persons without visible impairments (heart condition, etc.) should have some handicapped proof or letter to make access easier.  Your companion is, of course, allowed to ride with you. 

Once you are on top, most of the paths around the monuments have been paved for easy walking.  At the end of the visit return to the elevator.  Once you exit, there are plenty of taxis to take you wherever you are going next.

Q

15 minutes ago, Petenviv said:

Thank you so much, I  haven't found this info anywhere else. Presumably the the Port is close enough to get a taxi all the way to  the Acropolis?  

Yes, it is a 20 minute ride. About six miles.  It should cost around 10-12 euros.

• 5 months later...
On 2/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, marazul said:

I would make one change to this. Disabled folks with documentation get free entrance, but you can't get a free ticket online. You need to go to a ticket office.

Edited by roomba920

8 hours ago, roomba920 said:

I would make one change to this. Disabled folks with documentation get free entrance, but you can't get a free ticket online. You need to go to a ticket office.

Thanks for the info.  It would be good to post, if you know, how it works in practice.  The ticket office  lines can be very long and it might not be worth it (or feasible) for a handicapped person to wait in line to get free admission.  I suspect many would opt for buying the ticket online and skipping the ticket office line.  And just a reminder, there is no charge for the elevator ever.  Once you are through the entrance gate just go there.